Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

winstongator

I wouldn't go that far. Europe has actually reached a point where HSR has become so expensive that flying is the better option for many if you don't book months in advance. It's a big topic at the moment because people are urged to use HSR for environmental reasons, but the cost has skyrocketed, whereas flying has become cheaper. HSR was introduced as an alternative to flying and can be very convenient, but it certainly isn't always the best option.
Glad you enjoyed my hometown. I agree that most people take the train to Paris, even with security checks Eurostar is still better, especially when you add in time to get from each city to the airport. For further routes it’s nor as easy a calculation. It will be interesting to see how Eurostar services to Amsterdam do now that they have recently started
The woman seemed a lot more sensitive to time and hassle than cost. I put the quotes around no one because it’s more like no one I know. When traveling, like at WDW, saving time is valuable. She quoted 2hr15 to Paris which I replied was faster than I can get to WDW from Jax.

cosmicgirl

That's because they can't currently carry return passengers direct from Amsterdam to London.
It was my understanding that you could book it as one ticket but would have to go through security in Brussels while the train stood there for half an hour. You're right, though. They seem to have stepped away from that idea in the end and are only selling Thalys/Eurostar connections at the moment. Mea culpa.

Bartledvd

This scenario really strikes at TDO’s failure to improve MDE since its inception. We now have remote check in, but MDE makes guests take a bus to their hotel, oftentimes with stops at other resorts. (This makes up for a big chunk of time in your scenario) Unless you want to bring your luggage to your room, why do you want to go to your hotel? Why does DME not offer busses that drop guests off at the parks of their choice?

The ideal mode of MCO-WDW transit is a transrapid maglev (more for maintenance and capacity than all out speed) DME, leaving MCO from the south terminal, which drops off guests at a TTC, correct approach being a new one at Epcot, and a second line connecting the resort to SW, OCCC, UNI and MCO from its northern entrance. Under this version of DME, guests wouldn’t have to wait for buses to their specific resorts at MCO, another bottleneck. They just check in via app and they can proceed to the parks. Nor would they need to rely on taxi/Uber/Mears/rental car to get to other attractions during their trip.

It’s not something current leadership would go for, but it’s solid planning for the tourism sector in Central FL beyond WDW, which would aid it in getting built.
It is a nice idea but only US guests get luggage taken from airport to the hotel for them the rest of us have to bring it down to DME bus and give it to the driver, Also they do not post magic bands outside the US so we need to go to the hotel to pick that up and at least for UK flights they tend to arrive late afternoon so often not worth using park tickets for a few hours on arrival day unless you have annual pass.

TP2000

Interesting. I didn't know that bus existsted and got an Uber instead from the station to DL. I didn't come across any promotion for it when I was doing travel research in 2016.

The shuttle bus leaves every 30 minutes and is operated by ART (Anaheim Resort Transit). But I spoke too soon on the "free" part, that promotion ended this year. When the new ARTIC station first opened in 2015 they were offering free shuttle service to Disneyland, but a Google search shows that ended this year due to the massive budget shortfalls the ARTIC station is suffering because so few people are using the station and taking the trains. But that's another story for a SoCal political forum...

The ART shuttle tickets are now $5.00 per day for unlimited rides. But a quick check on my Uber and Lyft apps show that an Uber currently costs $5.23 from ARTIC to Disneyland. So you could save five bucks by taking the shuttle bus, or save time and hassle and spend five more bucks by taking an Uber round trip. Here's the ART page on the shuttle service, part of the massive shuttle system ART operates throughout the Anaheim Resort District and it's 25,000 hotel rooms. http://rideart.org/artic/

Its good to see public transport improving. When I visited Disneyland around 15 years ago it was a real pain to get to the old Anaheim station to visit anywhere else, the train service was appalling (the trains were nice) and you needed a passport to buy a train ticket

15 years ago you'd have to take a taxi or a city bus to get the 1.5 miles from Disneyland to the Anaheim Train Station. Now you could just Uber there for five bucks from Disneyland whenever you want.

A passport?? I'm going to guess you are not an American citizen and don't have a valid US driver's license? To buy a ticket from an Amtrak agent you have to show valid ID, so I guess a foreign national would need to show their passport? That is still technically the case if you are on Amtrak, but Metrolink commuter rail only sells tickets via machine and they have a couple dozen trains per day calling on Anaheim from LA Union Station or Oceanside.

But now in 2018 you don't need to pay for an expensive taxi or wait for a downscale city bus. If you don't want to rent a car, just Uber and go wherever your heart takes you for much cheaper than a taxi. That's how Americans do it, so "When In Rome" and all that, just do as us Americans do.

And remember, like the old GM ride said... It's fun to be free!

Movielover

Just crack the window while it's travelling at 300mph and you should be good.

Way ahead of ya'!
23bf.gif

;)

Disone

Florida East Coast Industries doesn’t have power and influence?
Good point. But in regards to the Orlando International Airport Mears might have a little bit of a home court advantage. It has sort of been there defacto home base for so long. Regardless I'm interested to see how all this plays out.

lazyboy97o

Good point. But in regards to the Orlando International Airport Mears might have a little bit of a home court advantage. It has sort of been there defacto home base for so long. Regardless I'm interested to see how all this plays out.
The Brightline is already going to serve Orlando International Airport. This is about Brightline being allowed to do what the relevant agencies all say they want. I don’t think GOAA is much of a key unless they refuse actually having service to their new train station.

Disone

The Brightline is already going to serve Orlando International Airport. This is about Brightline being allowed to do what the relevant agencies all say they want. I don’t think GOAA is much of a key unless they refuse actually having service to their new train station.
I hope your right. I want this to happen.

Skibum1970

I never leave it to DME to fetch my luggage from baggage claim...I've heard way too many horror stories of it taking ridiculous amounts of time for it to appear in-room (even one that took more than 12 hours). We bring it to them ourselves. I can't imagine it being any more efficient if/when handled by a rail service.

We do the same thing. Used to leave it to DME but it typically took the full three hours. Now, we just wait for a bags and then head off to the DME. It is so much easier and has less guesswork when our luggage is on the bus with us.

UCF

Original Poster
So FDOT has set a date of November 8th for any proposals to be due for this line, so that is the likely time we hear the next update, which means our next update will likely be between then and the end of the year.

gustaftp

That's a cultural thing. Tokyo Disneyland, for example, has the majority of its customers and CM's arrive and depart via the busy Maihama station about a 10 minute walk from the front gates of the parks. But that's also why Tokyo Disneyland closes up shop promptly at 10pm even on busy days, without an extra "convenience shopping hour" on Main Street USA - they have to get all the CM"s out of there by the time the last train leaves for the night at Midnight. It's also why if you stay at the ultra-expensive Tokyo Disneyland Hotel or MiraCosta at DisneySea your sole perk is "Early Entry" of exactly 15 minutes before park opening each morning. That's all the time they can spare for Early Entry because the CM's can't get there any earlier than the first train of the day. Seriously - 15 Minutes!

Tokyo Disney Resort is fabulous, but it's daily operation is hindered by the constraints of trying to operate at the whims of Tokyo's public transit system. It's unlike anything you'd have to deal with in the American parks, because most American CM's drive their own cars to work.

As for Anaheim, there is a big swanky train station just down Katella Avenue from Disneyland. Anaheim's station has over 50 trains per day stopping there; 24 Amtrak Surfliners north and southbound, and another couple dozen Metrolink commuter trains serving both the Los Angeles line and the Inland Empire line. .

Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC)
Document

A free shuttle bus (funded entirely by Orange County sales tax) sits out front of the big station waiting to take anyone arriving or departing via train directly to the front gates of Disneyland. But very, very few people take that option even though the shuttle bus is free, the trains are fast and furious, and the Anaheim station is convenient and gleaming with shops and cocktail bars and restaurants inside.

Your Free Shuttle System To Disneyland Compliments of Orange County taxpayers - Usually Empty and Unused.
208A6012-1024x683.jpg

Americans just don't naturally take the train to vacation spots, or for their weekend entertainment plans. They prefer to drive their car, which is often faster, cheaper, and easier than a train even with some freeway traffic. It's fun to be free!
Disagree strongly with that last part. I am an American who seeks to take the train when I travel, because having a rental car is usually an expensive hassle. Can't avoid it in Orlando.

But I wouldn't say "Americans prefer to drive their car". Sure, some of them do, but many Americans have never been on a train and do not know just how fast, efficient, and freeing they can be. In fact, I would submit that public transit, when done well, is far more freer than being in a car.

trainplane3

Disagree strongly with that last part. I am an American who seeks to take the train when I travel, because having a rental car is usually an expensive hassle. Can't avoid it in Orlando.

But I wouldn't say "Americans prefer to drive their car". Sure, some of them do, but many Americans have never been on a train and do not know just how fast, efficient, and freeing they can be. In fact, I would submit that public transit, when done well, is far more freer than being in a car.
That's the problem with public transit in the US. Where I'm at most people don't realize there's a busway that'll get you downtown in 20 minutes with busses coming through every 5 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening rushes. It's $2.50 each way and is miles cheaper then parking downtown for the day. It also saves some wear and tear on my daily driver.

Most people that do know about it will avoid it because "the riders smell bad", "it's slow", "it goes through bad neighborhoods" plus other reasons. Sometimes, these are true (the neighborhood for example). "It's easier to drive myself and be on my own schedule" until you get tired of traffic, having your car banged up, added gas/oil/tires money, and outragous parking prices.

Actually, typed this up while waiting for my bus.

BillyBarou

You need to connect from the terminal to the HSR station in some way. I would hope that's not a bus, but there will need to be a new connection point of some kind. There will be at a minimum, a security separation between the terminal and train station. It would likely be most easily accessible from the baggage claim area, since most folks will need to collect their bags before boarding the train. The original plan for the train had the station around the cell phone lot (as I recall), so that 10 minutes accounts for the time to travel to the train station from the baggage claim.

I haven't been to a train station in a long time, but I can't image a state of the art high speed rail station without a security checkpoint. I find it far more likely that you would have to go through a checkpoint similar to the TSA stations to get inside the airport. Even if you're scanning a special Disney badge for a Disney train, you're going to have to go through the checkpoint. So will there be a check-in? Absolutely.

Could there be a dedicated Disney train? Sure. I guessed an hour between departures if they had 2 dedicated trains, one going in each direction at a time. IMO that's a highly unlikely scenario. Just catching the southbound would increase the frequency of the departures, and be more appealing to most people than waiting. It would also mean the travel time gets longer every time another station is added to the mix. You're also losing the "Disney Experience" while you travel, so it wouldn't be likely that Disney would subsidize it, so you'd be buying a ticket.
Just in the past week, I have taken subways in Boston, Amtrak from Boston to Penn Station in New York City, Subways in New York, and commuter train from Penn Station in NYC to Newark Airport, there was not a single security checkpoint for any of those rides

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom