High ranking Imagineers Joe Rohde and Bob Weis expand their roles with Walt Disney Imagineering

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thanks to both of you for your response. Having had to draft policies for the valuation and gifting of IPs (within IRS guidelines) for a 501(c)(3), how major corps acquire/license their IPs interest me (yeah, I know, quirky me).

BrianLo

Thread Bump...

Rohde's involvement now makes a lot more sense. He was clearly brought on board the DCA project in July when management and Ops turned down the coaster concept that just was not up to modern capacity requirements.

The good news is this likely is not siphoning away a huge chunk of his time as it's a single ride he's involved in, which will find its way to WDS and SDL somewhere down the line.

doctornick

Thread Bump...

Rohde's involvement now makes a lot more sense. He was clearly brought on board the DCA project in July when management and Ops turned down the coaster concept that just was not up to modern capacity requirements.

The good news is this likely is not siphoning away a huge chunk of his time as it's a single ride he's involved in, which will find its way to WDS and SDL somewhere down the line.

I haven't followed much about the DCA Marvel stuff... what is the "single ride"? Isn't there going to be a full land developed for Marvel?

Fox&Hound

Okay let's get this out in the open.

First: *IF* marvel ends up in DHS, it will be GotG and it will be a one-off.

Second: *IF* they actually go forth with it, it won't be decided until after the release of the Second GotG movie.

I would hope that if Guardians of the Galaxy ever came to WDW, it would find its way to Tomorrowland. Since Autotopia, Monster's, and CoP don't fit the space/exploration theme they seem to be going for, it seems that TL would be a better fit for GotG instead of an entire land at DHS....

PhotoDave219

I would hope that if Guardians of the Galaxy ever came to WDW, it would find its way to Tomorrowland. Since Autotopia, Monster's, and CoP don't fit the space/exploration theme they seem to be going for, it seems that TL would be a better fit for GotG instead of an entire land at DHS....

It doesnt belong at MK. MK has ZERO trouble filling the park....

Fox&Hound

It doesnt belong at MK. MK has ZERO trouble filling the park....

Oh, I agree that MK does not need the attendance boost, but TomorrowLand certainly could use some love. If GotG went to DHS then why not change the name of the park to "Outer Space Park with Toys and old Hollywood". I think they would want to spread out the love for sci-fi, esp with it being present in MK, Epcot, and DHS. No need to shove even more in DHS. But, since it may or may not even come to DHS, it's a moo point. You know, a cow's opinion. It's moo.... =)

PhotoDave219

Oh, I agree that MK does not need the attendance boost, but TomorrowLand certainly could use some love. If GotG went to DHS then why not change the name of the park to "Outer Space Park with Toys and old Hollywood". I think they would want to spread out the love for sci-fi, esp with it being present in MK, Epcot, and DHS. No need to shove even more in DHS. But, since it may or may not even come to DHS, it's a moo point. You know, a cow's opinion. It's moo.... =)

Yes it needs some love. But not in the form of yet another IP. Something original would be fantastic....

doctornick

I'd be all for replacing Laugh Floor or Stitch with a GotG attraction, which would be a better thematic fit. That said, I think GotG might as well go in DHS because that park needs the boost more and I think it goes better with the overall vibe there. Plus, if they ever get any Marvel rights back (or some other non-Uni controlled Marvel IP becomes popular enough to warrant a WDW attraction), they could more easily piggieback attractions at DHS than at MK.

doctornick

I know there are some updates being considered from the park's $350m pot. Not that this should come as a surprise with the opposite side of the park getting a new headliner (we hope).

What new headliner? If you are talking about the rumored Frontierland expansion then that shouldn't be part of the $350M -- insiders have stated that that project was not part of the approved package and was still going through its budget approval process. Is there some other plans on the table? A long awaited Adventureland expansion like Fire Mountain/JTTCOTE/Indiana Jones?

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd be all for replacing Laugh Floor or Stitch with a GotG attraction, which would be a better thematic fit. That said, I think GotG might as well go in DHS because that park needs the boost more and I think it goes better with the overall vibe there. Plus, if they ever get any Marvel rights back (or some other non-Uni controlled Marvel IP becomes popular enough to warrant a WDW attraction), they could more easily piggieback attractions at DHS than at MK.
Would the Laughing Floor go to DHS as part of the Pixar Expansion?

HauntedMansionFLA

What new headliner? If you are talking about the rumored Frontierland expansion then that shouldn't be part of the $350M -- insiders have stated that that project was not part of the approved package and was still going through its budget approval process. Is there some other plans on the table? A long awaited Adventureland expansion like Fire Mountain/JTTCOTE/Indiana Jones?
Would love Indiana Jones to be part of the expansion especially if the stunt show is going bye bye.

doctornick

Would the Laughing Floor go to DHS as part of the Pixar Expansion?

It's been mentioned on here if a Monsters theme is chosen for "Phase 3", but I don't know if that is just armchair imagineering versus a real consideration by Disney. Moving a show like Laugh Floor to a different location is certainly more plausible (and cheaper) than moving a ride and has been done multiple times in WDW before (e.g. Magic Journeys, BATB show, FOTLK, Frozen sing-a-long)

HauntedMansionFLA

It's been mentioned on here if a Monsters theme is chosen for "Phase 3", but I don't know if that is just armchair imagineering versus a real consideration by Disney. Moving a show like Laugh Floor to a different location is certainly more plausible (and cheaper) than moving a ride and has been done multiple times in WDW before (e.g. Magic Journeys, BATB show, FOTLK, Frozen sing-a-long)
Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see what they do with the phase 3 project. Monsters Land could be pretty cool but I don't know what type of attractions have been rumored for the area. I keep telling myself that phase three will be an expansion of Star Wars Land but that's me being selfish. That love will be super popular and can bring in $$$$ wíth attendance, retail and dining. Plus, there is going to be more movies coming out.

ToTBellHop

I wasn't suggesting the Frontierland addition was part of the $350m. As you say, we already know it isn't. I haven't heard of any further E-tickets headed to the park. The $350m is for updates, some major. Same as Epcot. Unfortunately that kind of money doesn't go as far as it did 10 years ago. Nowadays it would barely buy more than one new E-ticket. Thankfully it won't be squandered on just one new ride. As the purse strings release, we will start seeing some projects that have been a long-time coming. Like Peter Pan updates (finally) and I believe Jungle Cruise is in the pipeline for plussing. Along with Big Thunder of course. And Wishes.

doctornick

I wasn't suggesting the Frontierland addition was part of the $350m. As you say, we already know it isn't. I haven't heard of any further E-tickets headed to the park. The $350m is for updates, some major. Same as Epcot. Unfortunately that kind of money doesn't go as far as it did 10 years ago. Nowadays it would barely buy more than one new E-ticket. Thankfully it won't be squandered on just one new ride. As the purse strings release, we will start seeing some projects that have been a long-time coming. Like Peter Pan updates (finally) and I believe Jungle Cruise is in the pipeline for plussing. Along with Big Thunder of course. And Wishes.

I don't disagree with anything here, but your previous post said "the opposite side of the park getting a new headliner" and I was just curious as to what this was in reference to since we have not heard about any "new" headliner coming to MK (and none of what you mention here would be a "new headliner"). The "opposite side of the park from TL" would imply Frontierland or Adventureland to me and any Frontierland work seems to be separate from the allotted $350M so...

Last edited:

doctornick

Would love Indiana Jones to be part of the expansion especially if the stunt show is going bye bye.

I'm torn about this. There is a large Adventureland expansion plot behind POTC. IMHO, the ideal use for that space would be a brand new concept, like Fire Mountain. Failing that though, I do have a soft spot for Indiana Jones and would love to see that IP be retained at WDW in some form. And the DL/TDS Indy ride is a great attraction, so I'd certainly enjoy seeing it at WDW. On the flip side, having a different ride (even a clone from a foreign park like JTTCOTE) would help to further differentiate DL and MK which is a good thing.

My ideal world would be Fire Mountain in MK and an Indy ride in DHS. I've argued before for a "hero" or "action/adventure" area for DHS which could easily feature attractions themed to Indiana Jones, GotG, Big Hero 6, The Incredibles, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom