High prices at the Arts Festival food kiosks (compared to other EPCOT festivals)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Because DLR tends to have more short-term visitors than WDW, there isn't as big of an emphasis on table-service restaurants. Instead, there's a great variety of mid-level "buffeteria" locations that serve pretty good food in a faster format. These locations all feature "real" plates (heavy-duty plastic) and actual metal silverware. These not-entirely-flattering photos were posted in various online reviews; they're clearly not staged photos from Disney
Plaza Inn in DL
IMG_7439.jpg

Cocina Cucamonga in DCA
burrito.jpg

The standard quick-service locations tend to serve their food in plastic baskets, lined with wax paper. Still very casual, but somehow it feels fancier than simply eating off paper plates. These locations have plastic silverware, but tend to serve finger food
Hungry Bear in DL:
5e85aa4fae5db9d21f7d57a3b45bfc32.jpg

Award Wieners in DCA:
Award-Weiners-Chili-Cheese-Dog_15-004.jpg

For comparison, WDW's only real mid-level option, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot:
20110930_269.jpg

Additionally, since WDW guests tend to visit longer, they're much more likely to get tired of eating off paper plates for a week, rather than guests who visit for a day or two. And given how much Disney tries to push the "environmentality" brand, you really have to wonder how much waste is created by all those "disposable" food service items for the roughly 140,000 guests in WDW's parks each day, presumably eating multiple meals
Man, even though burgers and chicken at WDW are far from the best youll ever have, just seeing those pics makes me hungry for a burger at Pecos Bill or the Turkey Sandwich at Sunshine Seasons. I can almost smell that aroma that wafts out of The Land as you enter the building.

matt9112

That's what nice about this festival for you then. All the same locations are open plus added ones for people like me (not bothering you in your favorite lines). It's also nice that Odyssey is open, American Gardens and Fountain Stage are running shows and there's artists on the promenade because if it was any other January, those locations would be abandoned.

Maybe they could have that entertainment without needing to sell 5 dollar beer samples? As part of you know the theme park experience? The festival also is just too clunky now. Those paths and such are clearly not built to handle all those people. It would be one thing if the festivals impact on a regular guest was minimal but I have to fight through a sea of 20 somethings with drunk disney attire to get to my regular spot ;) in all seriousness the stalls clog up the pathways way too much and more effort should be taken to push that stuff back somehow. I don't think there's enough room for it.

Bolt

Maybe they could have that entertainment without needing to sell 5 dollar beer samples? As part of you know the theme park experience? The festival also is just too clunky now. Those paths and such are clearly not built to handle all those people. It would be one thing if the festivals impact on a regular guest was minimal but I have to fight through a sea of 20 somethings with drunk disney attire to get to my regular spot ;) in all seriousness the stalls clog up the pathways way too much and more effort should be taken to push that stuff back somehow. I don't think there's enough room for it.
I think the sea of 20 somethings was going to be there with or without an art festival.

jaklgreen

I am a big fan of the F&WF and have been going for several years. In the last 3-4 years the portions have become significantly smaller and the prices much higher. I only go to a few of my favorites now instead of "eating around the world" like I used to. I still go for the special food seminars and events because I really enjoy that aspect of it. But as far as the food booths go, they are getting to the tipping point where it will not be worth it for most people. I do think that WDW could benefit more from cafeteria style food like Disneyland has. I think that it is a fast and efficient way to feed a large group of people and a good alternative to a buffet. In fact I prefer that the employees serve up the food instead of having the masses stick their paws into the food.

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
I am quickly reaching my tipping point with the high prices for these tapas size menu items. The truer tests for me will be the F&G and F&W festivals in 2017, since a lot of these dishes are exactly the same from year to year, you can get a more accurate side-by-side comparison of the price increases. Like I said before, I don't mind paying more if the portion sizes are large enough and the ingredient quality is good enough to justify the price increase.

At Holidays Around the World, I had the $13 duck confit with brussel sprouts offered at one of the kiosks. When I saw the price on the menu board I initially thought to myself "no way", but then I realized it was a full entree size portion of both the meat and the side. It had a very generous portion of the duck confit as well as the brussel sprouts and dumplings, so I didn't mind the higher price tag. It was so good, in both taste and portion size, that I actually had it multiple times over the course of the festival and was fine with paying the $13 each time.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I also wanted to mention that there were some higher priced menu items, in the $8-$13 range, at the food kiosks during Holidays Around the World at EPCOT. However, those menu items were entrée size, so the higher prices made sense. Unfortunately at the Arts Festival you are paying the higher price but only getting tapas size portions.

This is exactly what I was going to ask because we thought the higher prices at Holidays were worth it vs. F&W/F&G and generally better quality.

Thank you for clarifying!

disney4life2008

I only go to the festival to smell the good. Then jet to cheesecake factory at Millenia where i can get a whole meal and alcohol for the price of 3 kiosks.

disney4life2008

Because DLR tends to have more short-term visitors than WDW, there isn't as big of an emphasis on table-service restaurants. Instead, there's a great variety of mid-level "buffeteria" locations that serve pretty good food in a faster format. These locations all feature "real" plates (heavy-duty plastic) and actual metal silverware. These not-entirely-flattering photos were posted in various online reviews; they're clearly not staged photos from Disney
Plaza Inn in DL
IMG_7439.jpg

Cocina Cucamonga in DCA
burrito.jpg

The standard quick-service locations tend to serve their food in plastic baskets, lined with wax paper. Still very casual, but somehow it feels fancier than simply eating off paper plates. These locations have plastic silverware, but tend to serve finger food
Hungry Bear in DL:
5e85aa4fae5db9d21f7d57a3b45bfc32.jpg

Award Wieners in DCA:
Award-Weiners-Chili-Cheese-Dog_15-004.jpg

For comparison, WDW's only real mid-level option, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot:
20110930_269.jpg

Additionally, since WDW guests tend to visit longer, they're much more likely to get tired of eating off paper plates for a week, rather than guests who visit for a day or two. And given how much Disney tries to push the "environmentality" brand, you really have to wonder how much waste is created by all those "disposable" food service items for the roughly 140,000 guests in WDW's parks each day, presumably eating multiple meals

What is sad about that rotisserie chicken is that the portions used to be bigger. I was shocked when i went to sunshine last weekend and the food did not cover the plate. The true winners at disneyworld are Caseys and to a close lesser extent cosmic rays. Pecos just needs to add fries to the menu. Restorantous at ak has been a disaster lately. The toppings bar is never filled and i refuse to pay $18 for a double burger.

Tony the Tigger

The tiny sizes and high prices? No thanks. The food and wine festival is a joke. I want to pay twice as much for so little because what? I'm in WDW? with that said I do enjoy the regular full size year round alcohol options around world showcase and even those are a tad pricey.

The idea, I think, is to taste things you might not normally order, try new things vs. get full on two stations. We enjoy that experience with realistic expectations.

I am a big fan of the F&WF and have been going for several years. In the last 3-4 years the portions have become significantly smaller and the prices much higher. I only go to a few of my favorites now instead of "eating around the world" like I used to. I still go for the special food seminars and events because I really enjoy that aspect of it. But as far as the food booths go, they are getting to the tipping point where it will not be worth it for most people. I do think that WDW could benefit more from cafeteria style food like Disneyland has. I think that it is a fast and efficient way to feed a large group of people and a good alternative to a buffet. In fact I prefer that the employees serve up the food instead of having the masses stick their paws into the food.

I am quickly reaching my tipping point with the high prices for these tapas size menu items. The truer tests for me will be the F&G and F&W festivals in 2017, since a lot of these dishes are exactly the same from year to year, you can get a more accurate side-by-side comparison of the price increases. Like I said before, I don't mind paying more if the portion sizes are large enough and the ingredient quality is good enough to justify the price increase.

At Holidays Around the World, I had the $13 duck confit with brussel sprouts offered at one of the kiosks. When I saw the price on the menu board I initially thought to myself "no way", but then I realized it was a full entree size portion of both the meat and the side. It had a very generous portion of the duck confit as well as the brussel sprouts and dumplings, so I didn't mind the higher price tag. It was so good, in both taste and portion size, that I actually had it multiple times over the course of the festival and was fine with paying the $13 each time.

We enjoy the festivals and typically plan trips to coincide with them. I think the quality of some selections has gone down in the last couple of years.

We were pleasantly surprised with the Holiday one this year. We also enjoyed that duck confit dish mentioned, as well as the turkey sandwich (it was basically all of Thanksgiving dinner on a sandwich.) We found these to be good values and tasty - as they should be!

21stamps

The idea, I think, is to taste things you might not normally order, try new things vs. get full on two stations. We enjoy that experience with realistic expectations.

We enjoy the festivals and typically plan trips to coincide with them. I think the quality of some selections has gone down in the last couple of years.

We were pleasantly surprised with the Holiday one this year. We also enjoyed that duck confit dish mentioned, as well as the turkey sandwich (it was basically all of Thanksgiving dinner on a sandwich.) We found these to be good values and tasty - as they should be!

I loved the Holiday offerings. Still sad that I didn't eat/drink in France. The lines were just too long, and that's same something because every station had a decent wait. Maybe it moved quickly, but I wasn't willing to find out.

The only offering that I wasn't thrilled with was the hot caramel drink (non alcoholic). I order one for each of us.. we both took only a few drinks and threw them out. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but a mini sized serving would have been enough to enjoy it. The regular sized cup was just too much of too sweet.

Radeksgrl

Original Poster
The portion size on the BLT (pork belly) has been reduced by 50% since Friday.

Price didn't change. ;)

As a repeat buyer of many menu items at the F&G and F&W festivals, I have noticed inconsistencies on a regular basis in the same kiosks between different chefs on different days. It's very frustrating, you think they would train the chefs working at the same kiosks to plate those dishes in exactly the same way with the same portion. I've never seen a difference as big as 50%, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I once had a chef at one of the kiosks completely forget to include an ingredient that was listed in the description of the menu item. It was a garnish, happened to be cilantro which I love, and it was listed on the menu so I wanted it in my dish. I asked her very politely where the cilantro was, and she gave me one of the dirtiest looks I've ever gotten in my life. She huffed and literally tore open the plastic container of cilantro and threw some on my plate. I should have asked to speak to a manager, but at that point I was just happy to have my food and that she didn't spit on it (at least that I could see :confused:).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom