High prices at the Arts Festival food kiosks (compared to other EPCOT festivals)

21stamps

Those prices sound similar to Holidays around the World. But I couldn't honestly tell you individual prices on certain foods. I just felt like at each booth I spent about $15-$20 or so for 2 of us.

Bolt

The food is not the draw. It's the additional alcohol
No one really seemed to buying that many drinks at the kiosks from what I saw. People were mostly carrying the signature food items - like the figment puzzle pieces and the three cronuts. Granted, I saw a lot of beer but it was in big plastic cups so not really festival related since they only serve the small portions.

Minthorne

I have to agree with to OP that the food offering have been higher cost and smaller sizes this weekend than other Epcot festivals. The concert last night was very good. The seminars and exhibits I've seen have been interesting

It was very busy today - seems like they drew in a bunch of locals with this. The question is will it sustain. I wouldn't have planed a trip for this festival but so far it has added a fair amount of new experiences to my trip.

Sped2424

I have to agree with to OP that the food offering have been higher cost and smaller sizes this weekend than other Epcot festivals. The concert last night was very good. The seminars and exhibits I've seen have been interesting

It was very busy today - seems like they drew in a bunch of locals with this. The question is will it sustain. I wouldn't have planed a trip for this festival but so far it has added a fair amount of new experiences to my trip.
mlk weekend the parks were a madhouse today :confused:

Retroman40

My family went yesterday to see what the story was. I know this is somewhat vague but there was just no "vibe" going on. It looked to me like most guests really didn't care about the Festival of the Arts. My son referred to the whole thing as a "Discount F&W Festival". The artist painting to techno type music at the Fountain Stage was pretty good but that was pretty much it as far as anything else going on other than a seminar in the Odyssey. The art tents were full of stuff we'd already seen elsewhere at WDW. I saw more people prepped for "Drinking Around The World" with their shirts/lanyards etc than wearing Festival shirts. As far as food kiosks the prices did seem a bit high (somewhat expected) and in the early afternoon lines were short (by festival standards) and seemed to be moving. Nothing really stood out so we actually had lunch on the Boardwalk.

Bandini

The art tents were full of stuff we'd already seen elsewhere at WDW.
Here I was thinking that artists from around the country/ world would be displaying their work. I was hoping that they would feature something other than the typical Disney art. I was planning to attend next year, but I guess I'll stick with the F&G. I don't buy any merch from that either, but I love the floral displays.

dreamfinder912

I don't know if I'd be so critical of the Festival yet, it's just starting out. The food is taking longer to make because they do it in front of you to showcase the artistry of what they're making. the food they give you doesn't just taste good it LOOKS amazing. The Broadway show is great for someone like me who has seen most of the Disney musicals either on Broadway or on tour and it's much less chaotic of a crowd than food and wine. There's no one group of people holding seats for their nine million friends. I saw a bunch of people going around to each artist with the Festival canvas bag and having them sign that which is actually a great idea for those of us who LOVE their art but need to pay rent instead. It's a very hands on festival too, at the entrance to the world showcase near the dessert stop they have a giant paint by numbers mural that guests are helping complete. You get a little numbered thing of paint and a sponge brush and are sent on your way. I look forward to the next few weekends!

matt9112

Here I was thinking that artists from around the country/ world would be displaying their work. I was hoping that they would feature something other than the typical Disney art. I was planning to attend next year, but I guess I'll stick with the F&G. I don't buy any merch from that either, but I love the floral displays.

You realize this is just a big money grab by disney right? An attempt to fill a big block of "off season" with another festival of crap. Why on earth would they care how good or bad the art was? You think they would expend resources to attract artists ect?

FerretAfros

I doubt that.
Because DLR tends to have more short-term visitors than WDW, there isn't as big of an emphasis on table-service restaurants. Instead, there's a great variety of mid-level "buffeteria" locations that serve pretty good food in a faster format. These locations all feature "real" plates (heavy-duty plastic) and actual metal silverware. These not-entirely-flattering photos were posted in various online reviews; they're clearly not staged photos from Disney
Plaza Inn in DL
IMG_7439.jpg

Cocina Cucamonga in DCA
burrito.jpg

The standard quick-service locations tend to serve their food in plastic baskets, lined with wax paper. Still very casual, but somehow it feels fancier than simply eating off paper plates. These locations have plastic silverware, but tend to serve finger food
Hungry Bear in DL:
5e85aa4fae5db9d21f7d57a3b45bfc32.jpg

Award Wieners in DCA:
Award-Weiners-Chili-Cheese-Dog_15-004.jpg

For comparison, WDW's only real mid-level option, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot:
20110930_269.jpg

Additionally, since WDW guests tend to visit longer, they're much more likely to get tired of eating off paper plates for a week, rather than guests who visit for a day or two. And given how much Disney tries to push the "environmentality" brand, you really have to wonder how much waste is created by all those "disposable" food service items for the roughly 140,000 guests in WDW's parks each day, presumably eating multiple meals

matt9112

Because DLR tends to have more short-term visitors than WDW, there isn't as big of an emphasis on table-service restaurants. Instead, there's a great variety of mid-level "buffeteria" locations that serve pretty good food in a faster format. These locations all feature "real" plates (heavy-duty plastic) and actual metal silverware. These not-entirely-flattering photos were posted in various online reviews; they're clearly not staged photos from Disney
Plaza Inn in DL
IMG_7439.jpg

Cocina Cucamonga in DCA
burrito.jpg

The standard quick-service locations tend to serve their food in plastic baskets, lined with wax paper. Still very casual, but somehow it feels fancier than simply eating off paper plates. These locations have plastic silverware, but tend to serve finger food
Hungry Bear in DL:
5e85aa4fae5db9d21f7d57a3b45bfc32.jpg

Award Wieners in DCA:
Award-Weiners-Chili-Cheese-Dog_15-004.jpg

For comparison, WDW's only real mid-level option, Sunshine Seasons at Epcot:
20110930_269.jpg

Additionally, since WDW guests tend to visit longer, they're much more likely to get tired of eating off paper plates for a week, rather than guests who visit for a day or two. And given how much Disney tries to push the "environmentality" brand, you really have to wonder how much waste is created by all those "disposable" food service items for the roughly 140,000 guests in WDW's parks each day, presumably eating multiple meals

Great post... WDW has really pushed away from that mid level stuff...look at breakfast in the MK for example. You can drop an arm and a leg at be our guest or the crystal Palance or your relegated to waffles and a beacon like product. There's no good quick serve breakfast. Furthermore even for lunch there's a lack of nice quality quick serve....so much of it is for lack of a better term the garden variety fast food stuff.

Why is WDW this huge price and quality pendulum from quick serve to table serve?

matt9112

The food is not the draw. It's the additional alcohol

The tiny sizes and high prices? No thanks. The food and wine festival is a joke. I want to pay twice as much for so little because what? I'm in WDW? with that said I do enjoy the regular full size year round alcohol options around world showcase and even those are a tad pricey.

Bolt

The tiny sizes and high prices? No thanks. The food and wine festival is a joke. I want to pay twice as much for so little because what? I'm in WDW? with that said I do enjoy the regular full size year round alcohol options around world showcase and even those are a tad pricey.
That's what nice about this festival for you then. All the same locations are open plus added ones for people like me (not bothering you in your favorite lines). It's also nice that Odyssey is open, American Gardens and Fountain Stage are running shows and there's artists on the promenade because if it was any other January, those locations would be abandoned.

Bandini

You realize this is just a big money grab by disney right? An attempt to fill a big block of "off season" with another festival of crap. Why on earth would they care how good or bad the art was? You think they would expend resources to attract artists ect?
I remember when most of the products Disney created were great, and I always remain hopeful. Obviously, we're still being treated like stupid consumers who won't realize that the art work on display is the same as the stuff they sell in their stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom