High Line West Side construction

omurice

Except for two monorail lines that opened near a certain theme park in central Florida back in 1971, and a third line to another nearby theme park in 1982, what if any history of elevated trains is there in Florida that would tie into this Springs back-story? Multi-level planning does look sort of interesting, and my hope is this will all make a kind of sense someday, but I cannot tell where this jumble of imagery is going today, or how high line theming fits into the elaborate Florida back-story. Square pegs in round holes.

lazyboy97o

Except for two monorail lines that opened near a certain theme park in central Florida back in 1971, and a third line to another nearby theme park in 1982, what if any history of elevated trains is there in Florida that would tie into this Springs back-story? Multi-level planning does look sort of interesting, and my hope is this will all make a kind of sense someday, but I cannot tell where this jumble of imagery is going today, or how high line theming fits into the elaborate Florida back-story. Square pegs in round holes.
It doesn't, it's just trendy adaptive reuse, which is the basic theme of Disney Springs.

Mouse Detective

MetroRail and MetroMover in Miami are elevated lines as is the people mover in Jacksonville. But in the small country town that is Disney Springs, there wouldn't have been an elevated passenger train line.

roj2323

MetroRail and MetroMover in Miami are elevated lines as is the people mover in Jacksonville. But in the small country town that is Disney Springs, there wouldn't have been an elevated passenger train line.
Tracks were sometimes elevated simply to allow for the unloading of coal into trucks. I realize its a bit of a stretch but this is disney after all.

CDavid

Tracks were sometimes elevated simply to allow for the unloading of coal into trucks. I realize its a bit of a stretch but this is disney after all.

Maybe Village Lake is the remains of an open pit coal mine... :)

The only thing I could think of is that it isn't an elevated railway line but rather was once a railroad bridge (trestle) over the central Florida swamps, which were later drained and portions of the town of Disney Springs built along and beneath the old railway line.

But that's really reaching. In fact, it is reaching about as far as putting a fictional country in World Showcase. :rolleyes:

Similar train cars (with bottoms that open to release contents) are used to transport phosphate, which has been mined in FL since the 1880's, still a stretch, but closer to FL history. Just a thought...

jt04

Since all the wall are down around it I am assuming this is the final product. I think it looks ok, but I think a lot of people aren't going to understand what it is supposed to be.

We will see when the VIP types tour the project. Westside represents a revitalized cityscape. I have to believe signs, lighting and humerous 'streetmosphere' would be considered. Time will tell. This section of DTD is where dinorama-esque humor would fit IMO. You might be right though. This time.

71jason

Bingo. They desperately needed shade. They could have just put in a canopy over parts of the walkway. They went with something a little more themed. No need to overthink this. It will provide shade and seating by the food trucks.

Why put in shade when it's not readily apparent the food trucks will be open for lunch?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why put in shade when it's not readily apparent the food trucks will be open for lunch?

It's still sunny at dinner time most of the year;). Should I even ask the question, why wouldn't the food trucks be open for lunch? Isn't that the more likely time people would be looking for a quick bite?

Even if you aren't eating, they still need some shade over there.

lazyboy97o

Bingo. They desperately needed shade. They could have just put in a canopy over parts of the walkway. They went with something a little more themed. No need to overthink this. It will provide shade and seating by the food trucks.
The elevated railroad is less themed as it contradicts the story of a small Florida town that has been revitalized as a shopping destination. A more deliberate shade structure would have been just fine, as people like shade in Florida.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The elevated railroad is less themed as it contradicts the story of a small Florida town that has been revitalized as a shopping destination. A more deliberate shade structure would have been just fine, as people like shade in Florida.

You are probably right. To me it's shopping and dining. It doesn't need the silly small Florida town theme anyway. That story works for the central sections like the Landing and Town Center area, but it seems like a bad fit for the West Side anyway.

The West Side to me looks "urban" as a general theme. Elevated trains and food trucks are part of an urban settings. Not necessarily in Florida, but the vast majority of the people who visit will not know the backstory or really care. They will see abandoned elevated train sections and think, "cool, like they have in Chicago or NY or Philly". Most people won't say "that seems out of place for a small town in Florida". So to me it looks nicer than just adding generic canopies or a seating pavilion.

CDavid

You are probably right. To me it's shopping and dining. It doesn't need the silly small Florida town theme anyway. That story works for the central sections like the Landing and Town Center area, but it seems like a bad fit for the West Side anyway.

The West Side to me looks "urban" as a general theme. Elevated trains and food trucks are part of an urban settings. Not necessarily in Florida, but the vast majority of the people who visit will not know the backstory or really care. They will see abandoned elevated train sections and think, "cool, like they have in Chicago or NY or Philly". Most people won't say "that seems out of place for a small town in Florida". So to me it looks nicer than just adding generic canopies or a seating pavilion.

Just for the sake of argument, if we can go from one continent to another in a couple hundred feet in World Showcase, I don't know why the West Side - with its urban setting - really has to be 'set' in Florida anyway (though apparently it is). A Northeast setting would fit thematically, and there is already Saratoga Springs across the lagoon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just for the sake of argument, if we can go from one continent to another in a couple hundred feet in World Showcase, I don't know why the West Side - with its urban setting - really has to be 'set' in Florida anyway (though apparently it is). A Northeast setting would fit thematically, and there is already Saratoga Springs across the lagoon.
It's typical Disney. They get way too caught up in these elaborate back stories. Sometimes they really work. Blizzard Beach being a pretty cool one. Yes the story is bizarre, but the water park fits the theme pretty well. In this case I totally agree with you. There is no need for the whole DS to fit one overall back story.

roj2323

DSCN1954.JPG

I'm even more confused as to where they are going to fit the food trucks now.

71jason

Should I even ask the question, why wouldn't the food trucks be open for lunch? Isn't that the more likely time people would be looking for a quick bite?

It's a great question. If I ever get a chance to ask the DTD managers who set the hours as 5 - 9 pm, I will. (Tho even with those limited hours, they apparently weren't very profitable, as all four aren't even out on the weekends.)

roj2323

It's a great question. If I ever get a chance to ask the DTD managers who set the hours as 5 - 9 pm, I will. (Tho even with those limited hours, they apparently weren't very profitable, as all four aren't even out on the weekends.)
The problem is what they are selling not how they are selling it. Leave the fancy food in the restaurants and serve up fish and chips, tacos, pizza, burgers, perhaps something Asian. Just keep it simple. Hell even if they had one that only sold French fries with perhaps chili cheese and cheese fries as alternates that would probably sell well. Those bread cones they serve at fantasmic might be an idea as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom