High Line West Side construction

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hopefully they plan to put a lot of make-up on that pig iron.

Heh.

I don't know that there is to much more they can do with the bottom of it, it needs to look like an old steel elevated train bridge when it's done. The themeing will come with what they put on top of it. This is what the highline in NYC looks like from the ground:

Highline_NYC_4043997124_cbcac90545.jpg

jt04

I don't know that there is to much more they can do with the bottom of it, it needs to look like an old steel elevated train bridge when it's done. The themeing will come with what they put on top of it. This is what the highline in NYC looks like from the ground:

Highline_NYC_4043997124_cbcac90545.jpg

Just thinking/hoping Imagineering can do a bit better.

jt04

But what would better be? Look at the new Lion King theatre in AK. It looks dirty, run down, falling apart, and that's exactly how it should look.

Right now it has no theme at all. I expect there are examples where beautification projects have been added to these projects. Or they could add humerous signs. A million different possibilities. Certainly the concept art seems to reflect some theming will be added.

lazyboy97o

Right now it has no theme at all. I expect there are examples where beautification projects have been added to these projects. Or they could add humerous signs. A million different possibilities. Certainly the concept art seems to reflect some theming will be added.
The theme is anachronistic old train infrastructure.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Has everyone lost their imagination?

I lost my Imagination...
jii_dreamfinder.jpg

Dreamfinder, you are missed.

On topic, I've seen the concept art and the pictures from construction, but what I am curious about is the amount of track they are planning on laying.
Is there a layout somewhere I've missed that shows how much of this High Line that they are planning on building? Is it just the small area shown in the concept art and pictures that look like they are about 30 - 50 feet long, or is this going to continue along around an area of the "town" of Disney Springs?

I ask this because I'm having a hard time making it look like it was a reclaimed track in my head when it looks like such a short section of track. Like some city somewhere is going to demolish 98% of an elevated track and just leave a 30' section to turn into a park? They'd either leave the whole thing or tear the whole thing down I'd imagine. Does this at least attempt to look like it's a part of a much longer train system?

71jason

On topic, I've seen the concept art and the pictures from construction, but what I am curious about is the amount of track they are planning on laying.
Is there a layout somewhere I've missed that shows how much of this High Line that they are planning on building? Is it just the small area shown in the concept art and pictures that look like they are about 30 - 50 feet long, or is this going to continue along around an area of the "town" of Disney Springs?

I ask this because I'm having a hard time making it look like it was a reclaimed track in my head when it looks like such a short section of track. Like some city somewhere is going to demolish 98% of an elevated track and just leave a 30' section to turn into a park? They'd either leave the whole thing or tear the whole thing down I'd imagine. Does this at least attempt to look like it's a part of a much longer train system?

My understanding, backed by the current construction, is only the length of "Food Truck Park" between Starbucks and Bongos, and then a shorter stand-alone piece in the circular hub between Starbucks, Harley and the balloon. So in answer to your final question, no, not really.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My understanding, backed by the current construction, is only the length of "Food Truck Park" between Starbucks and Bongos, and then a shorter stand-alone piece in the circular hub between Starbucks, Harley and the balloon. So in answer to your final question, no, not really.
Guess I'm not ultra surprised about that really.

Thank you for the info. I'd only been partially following Disney Springs, but the high line part is one piece that interests me.

CDavid

I have heard of many efforts to preserve an abandoned railroad, station, or other structure suggest saving only a small portion (which, in my opinion, usually defeats the purpose), but in Disney's case this isn't an actual relic for which we should be grateful than even a small section was preserved. If this is to be part of the 'backstory' and themed environment of Disney Springs, then you need enough elevated railroad line to tell the story. How well that turns out remains to be seen.

71jason

There's still that early artwork that showed Adventurers Club being transformed into a train-themed "cafeteria." No one seems to know if that's still on the table tho.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Here is your theming...

disney-springs_Full_21785.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And it is nice. Wouldn't be suprised to see more however. Signs, lighting, lots o' possibilities.

Since all the wall are down around it I am assuming this is the final product. I think it looks ok, but I think a lot of people aren't going to understand what it is supposed to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom