Here's What is Currently Wrong With Disney ...

tomman710

Original Poster
Let me start by saying, I do not mean to bash or belittle the company I love so dearly, but this is more of an open forum/letter to the current administration and a chance to see if I am entirely off base by hearing my fellow forumers thoughts. However, I think my points are nothing new because from reading the boards over the years I feel like my following sentiments are echoed by the great majority of the board members.

If I can briefly relate a personal experience, very briefly. Since 2002, I have attempted to get a job within the Disney company, practically every month for over 7 years now I have sent multiple applications for jobs. My rough estimate is that I have sent over 500 applications. Now, without being overly effusive about myself, let me just state that I have an extensive education and over 10 years of experience (currently I am vice president of sales and marketing for a national construction corporation). So I am not reaching or misjudging my abilities or experience, in fact all the jobs I applied for I was either ideally suited for due to the stated criteria or over qualified for in some cases.

In those seven years and 500 plus applications, not once, have I ever even been asked for an interview. Not once. I find that very odd that someone with experience, too much education, and the obvious desire does not warrant at least one interview.

However, my point about all this is not to whine about myself, because in reality I am very happy with my current secular situation but I do believe my point illustrates a big problem with the current management team; so here's the point of it all:

After an exhaustive search for answers I finally was able to get a Disney recruiter on the phone. The recruiter examined my education, experience, and so on, she admitted, and validated my own thoughts, that I was perfectly suited if not more than qualified for the positions I applied for. So why did I never get an interview? Her response was that I never worked for "Coke" or "Pepsi" ...

What? Obviously, she didn't implicitly mean I had to work for only one of those two companies but the implication was that I hadn't worked for someone like that. This type of logic is so misguided and short sided.

I understand they must get thousands of resumes, if not more, ands they need a way to pare it down. However, to make the criteria based around working for a company such as Coke or Pepsi is so incredibly myopic because truthfully, no offense to the sales and marketing of those companies, but how hard is it to sell or market a product that is so concretely branded into the public's conscience? I'd wager to bet that no matter how those products are marketed or sold that it would not largely affect the profits from those companies in the slightest ... because everyone is always going to drink Coke or Pepsi. In fact people are always going to drink Coke or Pepsi more so than people will always support a Disney movie or Disney theme park. In that way Disney requires something more ...

Now contrast that with someone that has had to work at a smaller corporation, relative to those companies but not mom and pop by any means, and how they have to be inventive, imaginative, creative to sell something that in most cases people have not ever heard about? It takes almost zero effort to sell Coke or Pepsi.

This brings me to my ultimate summation; this situation is a small one and specifically is about sales, marketing, and management positions however if this is the same principle they apply to other positions, projects, and plans then it shows a severe lack of vision, foresight, direction, and really the basic guiding principles that Walt built the company on. Which was looking for the best people regardless of station, experience, or background.

It shows that they take an easy way to cut corners, to eliminate actually looking through applicants that in all likelihood may be incredibly well suited and fresh for the company ... and applied globally shows that they are probably cutting corners everywhere in favor of doing a little bit more work to ensure the best quality product is presented.

My fear is this isn't just a management or recruiting ideology but something that sums up the way the entire company is currently operated. I hope it is not but all indications seem other wise ... especially with the lack of vision shown recently, save for the Fantasyland expansion which ... we don't know how it well eventually turn out because if this same ideology is applied what can we actually expect from it?

I wonder what 2010 will bring?

luvlifeinfl

I am not sure if this matters or not but unless you come in on the college program with out being emplyeed by Coke or pepsi I think even with qualifications means nothing.

I wonder if coming in on the college program and they seeing if you have what they are looking for and then they can mold you that most of those people never return.

One other thought is that Disney is concerned that you are applying and being a out of state resident that you would seek relocation cost, so they try not to be bothered.:shrug:

All I can say is sorry that the direction of your dream is not going the way you want it too.

tomman710

Original Poster
I appreciate that but honestly I was not trying to make it about me. It is more of how short sighted the system is and question if this same basic principle is applied across the board to all aspects of the company?

DisneyJoe

I've read that 70% of all promotions for Disney jobs come from within.

from a google search on this practice at Disney, and reading some articles:

"The parks strive to hire from within because current employees already are familiar with company policy, rules and regulations, standard operating guidelines, mission statements, etc. In short, these companies save money by hiring internally from their existing work force."

"One current manager reports:

"I started working in the greenhouses as an intern. As I was finishing school, I'd come back and work a few days a year to remain an active employee. Then, after I graduated, I got a seasonal job with Entertainment, doing crowd control during the holiday shows. During that time, I met with a bunch of managers for Food & Beverage, and was able to network myself into a Restaurant Manager role after the holidays were over."

"Some of these positions may require that applicants be currently registered with the appropriate union."

luvlifeinfl

I'm sorry, was not trying to come across and that is how I was trying to make my statement of it not being about you. I do agree that it sounds like Disney has become short minded of how they look at applicants.

Have been in the parks and even dealing with some management in the past that it takes balance of qualifications and the passion someone has to serve in that postion. If you have not read this book called "creating the Magic" by Lee Cockerell I truely recommend it. it is a great leadership book from a prior Disney executive, sadly though since Lee's departure it has lost the balance of qualification and dedication.

Like the quote I have in my signature line from Walt Disney is true if you do not have the the right people in the right place that is all it is a place.

I will end with a word of encourangement, please do not break let it make you stronger! I totally believe that people get greater satifaction out of life doing what they do best!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I am not sure there's anything inherently wrong with what you have been told. Disney, being the size it is, obviously has developed over the years a proven recruiting process that gets them what they need personnel-wise. Will it over-look perfectly acceptable, even highly desireable candidates? Yes. But in the interests of efficacy, there is a value to having mechanisms in place to streamline the process. Disney, rightly or wrongly, has determined a methodolgy of screening applicants that reduces the overall HR costs of processing applications.

I can only guess that they have determined a level of trust in their relations with such companies as Coke and Pepsi that if they call for a reference the resultant reference will be reliable. By narrowing their focus to applications that have the requisite experience combined with a history at known reliable companies they likely save millions in HR costs.

I realise this may not be very encouraging to someone who has persued Disney employment in vain for 7 years, but it is a reality that large corporations must be fiscally responsible.

Philo

Sorry your having so much trouble, I too would expect at least an occasional interview.

I think you may be a little bitter about the sales teams at large organisations like Pepsi / Coke. Your right that they could do zero marketing and still sell in huge quantities but when they do sell, they've got a very different problem to an unknown product - they have to sell their well known product, against another well known product in a difficult area. Everyone has their favourite right?

Anyway, that aside. I think the real draw of working for a huge company is that a huge company can afford to invest in their employees training so Disney doesn't have too. Disney will also have all the usual facets of a large organisation which may not be easy to pick up if your used to a smaller company / industry.

All that aside, I do truly feel your annoyance and I think that if Disney have "worked for x, y or z" as a priority on their recruitment list, they are being very short sited. A lot of very talented people are out there working for smaller organisation or perhaps not currently working at all.

My advice, keep trying! You will get there!

tomman710

Original Poster
That's my problem.

I understand that obviously there has to be criteria in which they narrow the field of candidates. My problem is with the ideaology behind the criteria. It is too narrow and short sighted. Its conception is designed in a way to cut corners so narrowly that it in all likelihood dismisses the better candidate.

As I stated earlier, in regards to sales and marketing, it takes zero effort, imagination, and creativity to sell Coke or Pepsi.

So my point for discussion was, take this small experience and apply it globally. Obviously, Disney has gotten to the point where they cannot undergo every task with meticulous detail like Walt used to do, but there has got to be a way to be more creative.

My question is then, does this small sample of guiding principle used in my scenario apply to the whole company ... are they taking the absolute easiest possible route in every instance to save the most money while getting OK to serviceable results in favor of putting forth a little effort to get spectacular or legendary results? I feel like Walt would have voted for the latter.

tomman710

Original Poster
I was trying to not make this about me, but let me add that I am not working for small companies ... I have over ten years of experience from Merrill Lynch, Staubach, Jones Lang LaSalle ... all of which are highly regarded and fairly well known companies in and outside of their respective industries.

So I am not saying Disney should examine EVERYONE but my point of contention is that the criteria is too extremely short sighted.

DisneyJoe

Perhaps by sending in over 500 resumes in 7 years they flagged you? That's 500 resumes / 7 years = 71.43 resumes per year, or about 6 per month.......

tomman710

Original Poster
Perhaps ... but it doesn't change the fact that the recruiter indicated it was another reason why I was not called in ... and even so, to me that should show a company that there is an obvious desire and dedication to wanting to work for said company. As a vice president of a company now I can say with some conviction that having people that believe in your company and have a strong desire to work for it are the most valuable assests you can have.

Again ... I really wanted to have a dicussion about the ideaology behind the criteria and apply it to the entire company. Although, I guess telling a personal experience it's hard to not make it about myself ... but ... I want to know if other people feel like this is a prevailing thought process across the board.

fosse76

After an exhaustive search for answers I finally was able to get a Disney recruiter on the phone. The recruiter examined my education, experience, and so on, she admitted, and validated my own thoughts, that I was perfectly suited if not more than qualified for the positions I applied for. So why did I never get an interview? Her response was that I never worked for "Coke" or "Pepsi" ...

What? Obviously, she didn't implicitly mean I had to work for only one of those two companies but the implication was that I hadn't worked for someone like that. This type of logic is so misguided and short sided.

This is very standard in the marketplace. Large corporations prefer people who have experience in large corporations. Not-for-profit museums prefer people who have worked for other not-for-profit museums. Large law firms prefer candidates from other large law firms. Theme parks prefer candidates who have experience in theme parks. Also, many companies, while accepting resumes from job seekers, rarely consider resumes that don't come from a head hunter. Occasionally they dig through the ones they've kept on file, but it's rare. Companies like candidates who are familiar with that type of work culture, because they are less likely to burn out. Corporate culture is a lot different than not-for-profit culture. Likewise, large corporations differ significantly than small ones. It's just the way it is. And you can't really blame Disney. ALL companies do this. [/QUOTE]

tomman710 said:
I have over ten years of experience from Merrill Lynch, Staubach, Jones Lang LaSalle ... all of which are highly regarded and fairly well known companies in and outside of their respective industries.

Those are large companies for sure, and you've obviously had no problems getting into them. But Staubach and Jones Lang LaSalle are in the same industry (they've merged, as a matter of fact), and the work you did for them is completely different than what you would do for Disney. Merrill Lynch, is large for sure. But again, it is an entirely different industry, and even if the job descriptions were the same, Disney will want someone from the entertainment industry. Because what works in the financial industry (or real estate industry) doesn't work in the entertainment/hospitality industry.

dweezil78

I actually had the complete opposite experience. During my bout w/ unemployment earlier this year, I had applied for a job with Disney Interactive (perhaps that made the difference.) I had an incredible recruiter contact me and almost immediately set me up w/ a phoner interview for the position. Although that one wasn't a great fit, she told me there were other jobs in the pipeline and reached out to me when another was available which resulted in having an in-person interview. (6 people - three hours long!!!)

Ultimately I didn't get the job because I didn't have quite enough experience in traditional marketing (my strength is in non-traditional.) The companies I've worked for are also not Coke or Pepsi, though because they were agencies I've had the opportunity to work with a lot of big entertainment clients so I'm sure that helped. But again, I never actually was employed by one of them.

Bottom line - if you can get a recruiter to love you, that's half the battle. And as I've learned, absolutely nothing beats knowing someone in the company you want to work for. It won't get you the job, but it will definitely help get you in the door!

tomman710

Original Poster
It's just the way it is. And you can't really blame Disney. ALL companies do this.

Those are large companies for sure, and you've obviously had no problems getting into them. But Staubach and Jones Lang LaSalle are in the same industry (they've merged, as a matter of fact), and the work you did for them is completely different than what you would do for Disney. Merrill Lynch, is large for sure. But again, it is an entirely different industry, and even if the job descriptions were the same, Disney will want someone from the entertainment industry. Because what works in the financial industry (or real estate industry) doesn't work in the entertainment/hospitality industry.

As you are aware I am sure but Disney, while an entertainment company, like all companies has a very diverse range of positions. And without going into great detail, I will give you one example; a sales manager for DVC sales for instance, the requirements are sales and real estate experience, so to your point no it is not an entirely different industry and as I stated above and the recruiter verified I was perfectly suited for every position I applied for if not over qualified for.

This was my problem, the recruiter verified my thoughts in that I had all or more than the qualifications or experience. My lack of interview had nothing to do with me ... all it had to do with is their "narrowing the field" process which restricts candidates to one who have only worked for Coke or Pepsi type companies, which I might add are not entertainment or hospitality companies either.

So again ... it comes down to the guiding ideaological principle ...

skyhawk8519

If you have been applying for one job per week, every week, for 8 years, could it possibly be that you were flooding them and therefore they were not interested? Persistence has a very fine line with being overbearing. (500 applications in 8 years?? wowsa!) Good luck though.

Ralphlaw

The problem you point out is a subtle one. Disney has the reputation for constant innovation, open-mindedness, marketing, and outstanding customer service. So many companies that are now failing (GM, AT&T, Kodak, Etc . . .) also had cutting reputations at one time. Then they lost the cutting edge and/or got beat by competition that had a sharper cutting edge.

Perhaps Disney is becoming too comfortable in the type of people who are hired to the point that they will be vulnerable to sharper competitors. Becoming incestuous in their hiring could be just enough to stifle true innovation and squash the nay-sayers who just may say valuable things.

The recent experience with Pixar may be very informative. The Disney animation department had become somewhat stagnant, with more animated mediocrity than blockbusters (although some blockbusters were being made). Pixar at the time was hitting blockbuster after blockbuster. And now, the brain and energy behind Pixar is in charge of Disney parks. (I wish I could remember his name, John Lassitter?) Why was a start-up like Pixar able to beat the giant? Obviously bold individuals at Pixar saw the vision that Disney had lost, and became successful accordingly.

In any event, organizations commonly make the safe choice and not the bold choice. Even Walt and Roy did that to an extent. The world, they say, is run by "B" students, but the "color in the lines" "A" students get the initial job offers. That's a safe way to go, but often the worst choice to make long term due to the stagnant mindset that could develop. Let's see how this plays out. Outside the box thinkers, like the original WED designers, need to be at Disney. Hopefully they will actually come around and do great things.

tomman710

Original Poster
This^ !! I'm sure you've been placed on the dreaded Disney "Obsessed CM Wannabe List" !!:shrug:

I know I am to blame for the thread drift because I feel like its only natural when putting in a personal experience that we as people are intitially inclined to try and discredit the person behind the experience.

So let me just say that who am I and my experiences are really immaterial the the point I wanted to discuss here. You see regardless of who you think the person is or what they have done, the main fact of the matter is the recruiter who works for Disney basically said;

"Yes, this person is extremely if not overqualified for position "A" however Disney will not even so much as speak to this person because our criteria prohibits even speaking to someone that has not worked for a 'Coke' or 'Pepsi' type of company."

This is the statement I want to discuss, not why or why not I have not been given an interview. I want to dicuss this statement in regards to the employment process, the creative members Disney has, and then if this sentiment applies to the entire company's guiding philisophy ... and if so what, as fans, can we expect or not expect from Walt Disney World in the future?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom