Help with reluctant traveler!

sbkline

Perhaps you should let her have her low expectations and not try to get her all pumped up. After being "dragged around" the parks as my wife puts it, on our 2007 trip (and other trips), she felt burned out on WDW and wasn't very excited at all about our 2008 trip. I tried to get her pumped up about it and everything, but she just had low expectations and wasn't expecting much. On the one hand, I hated to see that, especially I hated that it was my commando, overkill ways on our previous trips that made her like that. On the other hand, I decided to go ahead and let her have her Debby Downer attitude about the upcoming trip because that leaves plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised. If she were to get too pumped up and get her expectations too high, then it's too easy to feel like the trip didn't live up to expectations and feel disappointed. And throughout the trip, my wife kept telling me how much fun she was having and how much better it was than last year. And now, she has a much better opinion towards WDW and going again the next time.

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Yes my SIL loves to eat who doesn't :shrug:. We had a little talk last night and I told her the first night we would wing it. She could make all the choices depending on how tired she was and what not. (I think secretly she does not want me to know how excited she is) One other thing that I forgot mention from the start she is AFRAID to fly and has never flown. She we have several issues here :ROFLOL:. Everytime she watches the news there is a plane crash lately.

I told her it was like when you buy a new car. You think that you are the first one to have that model and all of a sudden everywhere you look you see your car. If you hadn't bought that car you might not have paid attention to it.

Well I really appreciate everyones help thanks bunches!

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Perhaps you should let her have her low expectations and not try to get her all pumped up. After being "dragged around" the parks as my wife puts it, on our 2007 trip (and other trips), she felt burned out on WDW and wasn't very excited at all about our 2008 trip. I tried to get her pumped up about it and everything, but she just had low expectations and wasn't expecting much. On the one hand, I hated to see that, especially I hated that it was my commando, overkill ways on our previous trips that made her like that. On the other hand, I decided to go ahead and let her have her Debby Downer attitude about the upcoming trip because that leaves plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised. If she were to get too pumped up and get her expectations too high, then it's too easy to feel like the trip didn't live up to expectations and feel disappointed. And throughout the trip, my wife kept telling me how much fun she was having and how much better it was than last year. And now, she has a much better opinion towards WDW and going again the next time.

You know last May I took some family members and my Uncle did not want to go. He cried at Wishes and the Parade. :sohappy: I am glad that she had a better time this trip for all your family.

bgraham34

I think the food in Mexico is ok. Its not great but its good. I always try to eat there though when its just my wife and myself. Its romantic in there because of the lighting and such.

slappy magoo

Is anyone else going on this trip besides the two of you? Your mom? Any husbands or sibs or kids? Because if it's not just you & your SIL, that's a heck of a lot of pressure you're putting on her to enjoy herself, not to mention the pressure on you to get her to enjoy herself.

I'd also vote for enjoying the resort, & keep it low-key. Either that, or get the latest possible ADRs for dinner at a monorail resort, one that overlooks the castle (Cali Grill, or Ohanas'). Let the castle weave its spell...

Another suggestion: My wife & I make an effort to always make Boma at AKL our first meal, our little semi-tradition. That might be good for you too, because as wonderful as the resort is, it doesn't have an overwhelming "Dinsey" vibe, and the food is great (not as "exotic" as you might think, it's mostly familiar ingredients with slightly different spices). Go earlier then your ADR, hang out at the lounge or animal watch over the savannahs, eat & then take a late nite dip back at the Coronado's pool.

SamnDawn060304

Original Poster
Is anyone else going on this trip besides the two of you? Your mom? Any husbands or sibs or kids? Because if it's not just you & your SIL, that's a heck of a lot of pressure you're putting on her to enjoy herself, not to mention the pressure on you to get her to enjoy herself.

I'd also vote for enjoying the resort, & keep it low-key. Either that, or get the latest possible ADRs for dinner at a monorail resort, one that overlooks the castle (Cali Grill, or Ohanas'). Let the castle weave its spell...

Another suggestion: My wife & I make an effort to always make Boma at AKL our first meal, our little semi-tradition. That might be good for you too, because as wonderful as the resort is, it doesn't have an overwhelming "Dinsey" vibe, and the food is great (not as "exotic" as you might think, it's mostly familiar ingredients with slightly different spices). Go earlier then your ADR, hang out at the lounge or animal watch over the savannahs, eat & then take a late nite dip back at the Coronado's pool.

It is just a girls vacation there were 6 of us at the beginning and 3 had to op out due to vacation time conflicts. Usually on Sundays it is just SIL, me and my mom we shop, eat out, due our grocery shopping together and we always have a good time.

KingStefan

I did not ask for a room preference. Is there one part better than the other. I upgraded to this hotel from the pop when the rates came out last week or so.

It is not so much that one part is better than another. It is a matter of personal preference.

CSR is really beautiful. But it's a bit spread out. So it's not possible to be in one building that is close to everything. I would recommend deciding what it is important for you to be close to, and at least but some preference in your file. They will do their best to get you what you ask for.

Here is a map of the resort:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/thumbnails/...s/resorts/maps/coronadosprings_resort_map.jpg

CSR is divided into three sections or villages: Casitas, Ranchos, and Cabanas. Here is a description of them from WDWinfo:

The Casitas village or "Little Houses", has 1024 guest rooms (981 guest rooms and 43 suites) and include buildings similar to those commonly found in Sante Fe or Monterey. The buildings set amidst the colorful plaza, fountains and courtyards are commonly used for the convention accommodations.

The Ranchos have a more rustic, rural flavor to them, complete with an arroyo or small stream that tumbles over a rocky streambed. The 624 guest rooms are housed in two- and three-storey villas.

The Cabanas are 2-storey Mexican-style adobe bungalows with 319 guest rooms. The majority of these rooms have a water view.

I find these descriptions to be fairly accurate. Casitas is a bit metropolitan, but short of being urban. The courtyards are unbelievably beautiful. When we stayed there, we asked for building 4 and got building 3. We wanted to be halfway between El Centro (where the restaurants and guest services are) and the themed pool, and close to a quiet pool. It turned out that building 3 was better for us when we saw how spread out everything is, becuase we wanted to be close to the breakfast cafe (I walked down each morning and brought breakfast to the room for the family). If you stay in buildings 1 or 3, you can walk to El Centro through the buildings and/or under a covered walkway to avoid rain, which was useful to me on several days.

Ranchos is like staying in a beautiful desert resort. Cabanas is more lush and tropical and it surrounds the little part of Lago Dorado (the lake).

There are four bus stops (plus one more at the convention center), so if you decide to use the bus on some days, there is a stop not too far from every building. Each village also has its own quiet pool, making four pools total. There's plenty of parking everywhere, so that's not a consideration.

There are also little carts that run around Lago Dorado that you can hop on to get from one place to another, but sometimes you have to wait a while before one comes by.

Here is a description from MousePlanet of what buildings are close to what features of the resort:

The buildings 1 and 3 (casitas) and 9B (cabanas) are closest to the main resort buildings where the convention center, restaurants, front desk, sundries shop, and main bus stop are located.

Buildings 2 and 4 (casitas) wrap around Health Club and Beauty Salon and the casitas Quiet Pool area.

Buildings 4, 7B, 8A, and 8B are pretty good compromise locations if quiet pool and bus stop proximity are prime considerations.

Buildings 5, 8A, and 9B are all close to the feature pool area.

If I had to pick a single building to recommend based on location, I would go with 9B because it is close to the main building, the feature pool, the marina, and just a bit of a walk to the main bus stop.

9B seems to be a popular building. If you pick that, I'd give an alternate, because it may be more difficult to get. Even better than specifying a building is to be as general as possible, like "close to the feature pool", or "in Cabana as close to El Centro as possible", or whatever. You get the idea.

So, my advice is to look at the map, decide what's important to you, then call WDW central reservations and say you want to add a room preference note to your reservation. Then when your reservation is sent down to the hotel for room assignment, they will do their best to accomodate.

raven

My advise: Don't worry about your sister-in-law having fun. If it doesn't seem like she is, and you are worried about it, you will not have fun yourself. Relax and be a kid again! :wave:

WDW Twins

Trust me Ive been to Disney 3 times in the last 4 years with first timers who were fighting every inch all through the planning stage but after a couple hours on Disney property they were hooked for life. :lol:

Crazy4WDW1

"I think you all are right I might just cancel the ADR and eat outside the park we have some personal items to pick up anyways not 3oz stuff "

You do know that you only have to pack the 3 oz. item in your carry on, right? You can pack regular size shampoo, etc. in your checked luggage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom