Help with Miami port

CB2@disney

Original Poster
Hi...
We are going out of the Miami port in April. I've never been to this port. Our flight arrives early...9am and we have ground transportation from the airport to the ship not sure what to do until we can board. I thought of looking for a liquor store or grocery store but I don't think the Disney bus will stop for that. I'm going to have to see about checking a bottle of wine and some travel size rum. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :happy:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hi...
We are going out of the Miami port in April. I've never been to this port. Our flight arrives early...9am and we have ground transportation from the airport to the ship not sure what to do until we can board. I thought of looking for a liquor store or grocery store but I don't think the Disney bus will stop for that. I'm going to have to see about checking a bottle of wine and some travel size rum. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. :happy:
That would work. You would just need to transfer the wine / rum to your carry on before checking your bags with DCL...

The closest liqueur stores are off Biscayne Blvd, which is quite a hike from the docks...if you really want though, there are two that are a pretty close drive to the docks themselves and probably wouldn't cost you much if you snagged a taxi there and back...

CB2@disney

Original Poster
That's a good idea... put it in the checked bag and then move it to the carry-on. Wait...does Disney get my bag at the airport or do I?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's a good idea... put it in the checked bag and then move it to the carry-on. Wait...does Disney get my bag at the airport or do I?
Your choice. I'm pretty sure (one of the more regular cruisers like @Disneyfalcon or @sweetpee_1993 can confirm) that if you tag your bags with the yellow tags they send you in advance, then they will pick them up from the airport and deliver them directly without your involvement.

If that is the case (and I'm fairly certain it is...) then you may want to leave the yellow Disney tags off your luggage and pick them up from the airline baggage claim. Then you can swap the goodies to a carry on and check the bags at the DCL Express check in counter.

I may be off on all this...because my limited experience was bookended with a stay at WDW and cruise out of Port Canaveral, not Miami.

But, I tagged those two members, and I'm sure they'd have some better insight.

Cheers!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thank you so much. I learn so much here.
Me too. This place was great for me to plan my first ever cruise, and everyone was extremely helpful (even during the cruise they gave me advice on my trip report that was incredibly useful...like Cabana's full service on the Fantasy!)

I try to pay it forward! <grin>

I'm quite sure now that they are tagged (or summoned! <grin>), one of them (or another regular cruiser) will poke their head in on the thread and clarify for you.

sweetpee_1993

You rang??? LOL!

You had it right, @englanddg . If you put the yellow luggage tags on your luggage before your flight you won't see them on the baggage carousel at the airport when you arrive. I *think* that's how it works even at airports other than MCO. I've only ever come in for a cruise to MCO. Or we drove. It may be a bit more of a hassle but if you want to bring your own liquor it'll take a few extra steps. I've brought 2 big bottles on the plane in checked baggage. You can't carry that volume of liquor onto the plane. Must be checked to fly. Pad the bottles then seal them in heavy mil plastic. Then place them in the center of your suitcase. When you retrieve your checked bags at the airport in Miami pull the liquor out and place in your carryon. Then you should put your yellow tags on all the luggage you don't want to carry onto the ship. You'll have to schlep everything to the transfer bus. Have some singles handy to tip the bus driver who handles your bags. When the transfer drops you at the port there should be porters handy to take your checked bags from you. You'll see them again in your stateroom. Again, have some singles handy because its nice to tip the porters who handle your bags as well. I typically do $1 per bag to each person who handles 'em. And there ya go. Liquor and you happily on board ready for adventure!

PS. We like to bring Tervis tumblers to mix our drinky-drinks in because the paper cups are so darned small. I'd have to carry 3. After a few drinks carrying 3 can be a bit tricky! LOL!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
One other thing, at least in my experience with TSA...put the bottles towards the top of your luggage so when it's opened they can be easily viewed. Every single time I've traveled with bottles of...juice...in my checked luggage, I've found a "we looked in your bag" note from TSA.

No reason to make them have to dig through your things to get at them (I suspect they are checking the bottle seals...but I don't really know)...

To the OP:

If you are looking for something to do close to the port, walk around Bayside. It's a lot of shops and restaurants that you can hang out at. It is just a short cab ride from the port. Very popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom