Help! WDW expert but Disneyland rookie

SuddenStorm

I went to City Hall to get Anniversary and 1st Visit buttons for my wife, and confirm codes for reservations. A man was there who had completely lost his composure, was yelling and screaming. Disneyland opened later than was planned after Grad Night. Things happen. This man was going ballistic. Borderline "call the police" ballistic.. His little girl was tugging his hand, saying, "Daddy, let's go!"

Told the rep how sorry I was they had to deal with people like that. She scrawled out one of those passes giving us access to any attraction we wanted. Told us reps will bend over backwards to make sure people have a great time, but when people roll in shouting and screaming, they have no reason to accommodate you. She thanked "us" for being kind to "them".

Used the passes for Nemo. Also -- because of the buttons -- out of the blue, we got pulled out of a crowd and were given VIP seating for the fireworks. Be good to people, people will be good to you.

Those "use this for any ride courtesy pass" are not Fastpasses that one can get through Maxpass or the normal FP reservation system. It doesn't have to do with being nice to someone- the chances of OP getting one of those during his trip are exceptionally slim, and not something he should plan on.

TP2000

Park Vue Inn is my backup plan in the event my budget gets shot to hell for some reason. Any concerns with construction on that side of property (East).

Nope, that side is wide open and free of construction. You can thank the Anaheim City Council for that. :D

Although, if you want 21st century reality to slap you in the face each night as you exit Disneyland, there's nothing like a short stroll on Harbor Blvd. to do that for you.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Nope, that side is wide open and free of construction. You can thank the Anaheim City Council for that. :D

Although, if you want 21st century reality to slap you in the face each night as you exit Disneyland, there's nothing like a short stroll on Harbor Blvd. to do that for you.
How much reality? Applebee's and CVS, or homeless guys and adult film stores?

Curious Constance

Park Vue is the closest hotel, literally right across the street from the pedestrian entrance to the parks, and you'll see IHOP, other hotels, Captain Kid's restaurant (NEVER EAT HERE), etc. Since it's so close, your exposure is short. However, you WILL also see guys trying to sell fidget spinners, playing music for money, and if you walk down to McDonald's or near the bus stop nearby, you'll likely come across someone asking you for money.

truecoat

Park Vue is the closest hotel, literally right across the street from the pedestrian entrance to the parks, and you'll see IHOP, other hotels, Captain Kid's restaurant (NEVER EAT HERE), etc. Since it's so close, your exposure is short. However, you WILL also see guys trying to sell fidget spinners, playing music for money, and if you walk down to McDonald's or near the bus stop nearby, you'll likely come across someone asking you for money.

No one likes Captain Kidds but it never goes out of business. Full disclosure, I've eaten there a couple times.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Never eat at Tiffy's unless you want bad service and food poisoning.
ASF-Success-Plan-Considering-It.gif

dweezil78

Wow. When was the last time you visited Southern California? If you despise it so much, why are you returning to contribute to our economy?🤔

The DLR is not WDW. Do you know how small Disneyland is? Four hours in Adventureland means riding Indy and Jungle Cruise multiple times in a row, seeing Tiki Room 10 times, shopping for plastic guns, and eating beef skewers.

Four hours in MK's Adventureland means all that minus Indy (subst. Pirates and a Dumbo clone) and minus beef skewers. They even out at best.

TP2000

It's an IHOP and a Cold Stone Creamery, actually. The CVS is two blocks south. :D There are usually several people camped out there at that busy crosswalk playing guitars on the sidewalk for change, or just bumming change for no good reason despite a lowest in 45 years 3.9% unemployment rate in Southern California.

Park Vue Inn is literally across the street from Disneyland, about a five minute walk to the main entrance turnstiles. Here's the view as you walk off Disneyland property and head to Harbor Blvd. Park Vue Inn is circled. IHOP is straight ahead.

filename-1-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

Beware the non-chain restaurants on Harbor Blvd. like Captain Kidd's Buffet and Tiffy's. Yelp is definitely your friend there, and there's a Panera Bread and a Mimi's Cafe a block north that are good, and a Pizza Press that is really good a block south. The Fifth, the bar on the roof of the hotel next door, is great for drinks and a view of the fireworks.

SteamboatJoe

I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn in June. As someone who has only ever been able to afford staying at the moderate resorts at WDW, I think I will take 15 mins. exposure to the real world walking back each night over a 40 minute standing wait for a 20 minute bus ride crammed to max capacity when I am absolutely exhausted but have to give up sitting for women, children, seniors, strollers, scooters.

TP2000

I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn in June. As someone who has only ever been able to afford staying at the moderate resorts at WDW, I think I will take 15 mins. exposure to the real world walking back each night over a 40 minute standing wait for a 20 minute bus ride crammed to max capacity when I am absolutely exhausted but have to give up sitting for women, children, seniors, strollers, scooters.

That'a a really great point. The transit system at WDW can be a real nightmare, and can easily add an hour on to the commute to/from the parks each day, even though you are in "the bubble" and allegedly having a good time.

From the Main Street Train Station out to the Fairfield is about a 10 minute walk, depending on how long you wait for the crosswalk signal. Inbound it can be longer depending how long the lines are for the security screening tents.

The Fairfield Inn is two blocks north of the Harbor Blvd. crosswalk, and there's also a second crosswalk at Manchester Way near Mimi's Cafe. It will take you about 7 or 8 minutes to get to the Fairfield from the crosswalk. Mimi's Cafe is good for sit-down meals, and the Panera Bread next door is great for takeout food. Just avoid Captain Kidd's and you'll be fine.

TheOrangeBird01

Park Vue Inn is my backup plan in the event my budget gets shot to hell for some reason. Any concerns with construction on that side of property (East).

Honestly, I would go with the Park Vue Inn, just because it is closer and much more affordable. My family went on our “do everything because who knows when we’ll be back” trip last summer, and we had four park days (two at each) and even though we didn’t get everything done (didn’t ride the Mark Twain, go to Tom Sawyer Island, ride the submarines, etc.) we had completed all of our must do’s and we truly felt like we had done the full Disneyland experience.

We stayed at the Park Vue, and loved it. Nice, clean property, and literally steps away from the Disneyland entrance.

We also never used Maxpass (except for ride pictures and Photopass), and if you’re willing to pay for it, I would say you should have no problem getting everything done in four days if you plan accordingly. Speaking as a WDW vet myself, we did plan basically every move from rope drop to park close, but once we got there, we realized that the planning necessary for a vacation to the Orlando parks is not needed at all in Anaheim. Relax, go with the flow, and do everything you can.

Animaniac93-98

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County this year. It's further south on Harbour Blvd, but it's got all good reviews from Google and TripAdvisor. You have to take a bus to get to DLR (leaves every 30 min), but is the commute that bad?

Any opinion on the hotel itself?

TP2000

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Orange County this year. It's further south on Harbour Blvd, but it's got all good reviews from Google and TripAdvisor. You have to take a bus to get to DLR (leaves every 30 min), but is the commute that bad?

Any opinion on the hotel itself?

I've had family stay there a year ago for a convention at that hotel. It's a big, nondescript corporate convention hotel you'd find in an American city. Built in the late 1980's but recently remodeled and updated to 2010's standards. There's a full fledged Starbucks in the lobby. Once the hotel shuttle leaves the hotel you'll be unloaded right in the East Esplanade 7 or 8 minutes later. There are several good chain restaurants within a 5 minute walk of the hotel in the parking lots of the adjacent Marriott and Sheraton hotels; Buca di Beppo, Red Robin, Outback Steakhouse, etc. It's aimed more at a business convention crowd instead of whimsy-vacation mode, but it's a nice place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom