Help! WDW expert but Disneyland rookie

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Six days? Yes, they'll definitely want to get off property and explore SoCal, if not just Orange County.
Absolutely not. I despise California generally and Southern California in particular. No offense, but it has zero appeal to me.

Also, we tour slowly on purpose. For example, the first morning of our WDW vacations is usually four hours in Adventureland and that's it. Back to the hotel for nap time.

PB Watermelon

I've been to Disneyland twice in late June...same rules apply. Show up before park opening, go straight to Fantasyland and hit Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, the Matterhorn. Then go to Adventureland for Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise, keep working through that side of the park...Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Winnie-the-Pooh, Big Thunder.. By that time, "the horde" will have arrived, so you just visit the smaller attractions. FP Nemo as it's a brutal wait, but a terrific attraction. Space Mountain is insane, FP that as well. Day 2, reverse the process, hit the Tomorrowland attractions first. Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear.

One thing that's expensive but really takes the pressure off is the option for guided tours and reserved seating. World of Color and Fantasmic have reserved options available. Use them. Tour groups bypass all lines, look into them, too.

Californian Elitist

Absolutely not. I despise California generally and Southern California in particular. No offense, but it has zero appeal to me.

Also, we tour slowly on purpose. For example, the first morning of our WDW vacations is usually four hours in Adventureland and that's it. Back to the hotel for nap time.

Wow. When was the last time you visited Southern California? If you despise it so much, why are you returning to contribute to our economy?🤔

The DLR is not WDW. Do you know how small Disneyland is? Four hours in Adventureland means riding Indy and Jungle Cruise multiple times in a row, seeing Tiki Room 10 times, shopping for plastic guns, and eating beef skewers.

Last edited:

Texas84

Get MaxPass. Don't assume the GC entrance will be quick and easy. It is small and can get backed up. Maybe take a day to explore, eat, shop and relax. Get an idea of the flow. Then MaxPass on another day until you drop. Do single rider on RS if you don't mind separating. Go into the waiting area at Tiki and get a Dole Whip. You can take it into the show. DL's Splash will get you silly wet. Buzz is different. Pirates is better. Blue Bayou is a must just for the view. Food is just OK. Yes, see the Frozen show. Even if you hate Frozen. Gotta ride the train. Wish we had the dioramas. Do all the silly kiddie rides WDW doesn't have. They're fun.

Some things I wouldn't bother with: Midway Mania, Soarin', Star Tours. No difference.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Four hours straight at WDW Adventureland...with 3 fast passes? Does that include an hour long table service meal at Skipper Canteen?
We usually don't get FastPasses for our morning park. We take advantage of the light crowds in the mornings and make our FastPass reservations for 4:00, 5:00, and 6:00 at whatever park we're doing in the afternoon.

Like I said before, we do everything. That means coffee, Treehouse, Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Pirates, one or two rounds of Treasures of the Seven Seas, Pirate Tutorial, Dole Whip, lunch (usually at Casey's that day), two or three diaper changes, photos, shopping, etc.

Don't assume the GC entrance will be quick and easy. It is small and can get backed up.
How convenient is GC to Disneyland Park?

Then MaxPass on another day until you drop. Do single rider on RS if you don't mind separating. Go into the waiting area at Tiki and get a Dole Whip. You can take it into the show.
See that's not how we tour at all. We won't do any days open-to-close "until we drop." My goal isn't to rip through the parks and check of the list as quickly as possible, my goal is to have an enjoyable vacation at a relaxed pace.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Absolutely not. I despise California generally and Southern California in particular.

Preach. California is awful. If it wasn't for Disneyland and my SJ Sharks, I'd never have a reason to visit. Though the landscapes are beautiful and some of the cities are trying to disconnect from the state government. It'd at least be worth it to visit a cliff-side by the ocean or a beach.

SteamboatJoe

I see. I don't have kids so I never play any of the games. The Pirate show has never really interested me so I usually don't stop to watch it. Aladdin is also a low priority. My first MK day is open to close, check the boxes but my second and third days at MK are typically more laid back. There is certainly something to be said for fully immersing yourself into a land.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I see. I don't have kids so I never play any of the games. The Pirate show has never really interested me so I usually don't stop to watch it. Aladdin is also a low priority. My first MK day is open to close, check the boxes but my second and third days at MK are typically more laid back. There is certainly something to be said for fully immersing yourself into a land.
It makes FastPass+ easier too, IMO. Instead of worrying about making the absolute best FastPasses every day, I just get FastPasses that are physically close to one another and don't worry about criss-crossing the park. So on Fantasyland day, I make FastPasses for Mine Train, Peter Pan, and Enchanted Tales. I tackle the other lands' attractions on separate days.

GiveMeTheMusic

@CaptainAmerica for reference, think of it this way. From the southernmost tip of Pixar Pier to the northernmost portion of Mickey’s Toontown is the same as the distance from Epcot’s turnstiles to the American Adventure. The park gates are steps away from each other, so GCH is just a short stroll to DL past a couple DTD shops. It’s by far the closest hotel to either park.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
@CaptainAmerica for reference, think of it this way. From the southernmost tip of Pixar Pier to the northernmost portion of Mickey’s Toontown is the same as the distance from Epcot’s turnstiles to the American Adventure. The park gates are steps away from each other, so GCH is just a short stroll to DL past a couple DTD shops. It’s by far the closest hotel to either park.
Got it, thanks. I'm looking at the aerial photos and whatnot but it's hard to tell which paths and roads are open to pedestrians.

Separate question, I can't seem to find anything that posts rack rates for the hotels. That info is available everywhere for WDW. Would I be safe assuming that early February is pretty close to "low season" in terms of hotel prices within the published ranges?

truecoat

Got it, thanks. I'm looking at the aerial photos and whatnot but it's hard to tell which paths and roads are open to pedestrians.

Separate question, I can't seem to find anything that posts rack rates for the hotels. That info is available everywhere for WDW. Would I be safe assuming that early February is pretty close to "low season" in terms of hotel prices within the published ranges?

Here's a simple map of the area between the two parks. Yellow is obviously the esplanade. Green is the walkway through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Hotel and stopping of course at Trader Sams. The red arrow is the exit of the Grand Californian hotel to DTD. I hope this helps some. Not shown...if you go the opposite direction of the green path, you can access business and hotels on Harbor.

disneyland walking.jpg

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

DLR's hotels operate a bit differently as they run at 95%+ occupancy year-round. I don't believe they release rate tables by season the way WDW does; the rates just are what they are and can dynamically change based on demand.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Agreed that the WDW Veterans thread is an absolute must-do starting point for this scenario.

That said, a few comments specific to this group and itinerary...

In June they begin Downtown Disney demolition and construction on the fourth luxury hotel for Disneyland, and it will take over the west end of Downtown Disney by the Disneyland Hotel. By February'19 that area will be leveled, but it will make walking into the parks from the Disneyland Hotel difficult and the monorail station may be closed.

With a child who has Cars Land at the top of their list, it would be wise to budget the extra money to stay at the Grand Californian instead of the Disneyland Hotel in February '19.

I always recommend people look at Disneyland via Google Earth, and that gets you a better idea of how the place fits together. And remember, there are nearly as many rides and attractions and major entertainment spectaculars crammed into these two parks the size of Epcot as there are in all four WDW theme parks combined. Lines are typically shorter at Disneyland Resort because of this, and rides can literally be stacked on top of one another or have entrances just a few yards from each other. MaxPass can still be very handy when it comes to grabbing Fastpasses for the popular E Tickets like Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

Same Scale and Same Size. Very different land use.
dlrepcotcomparison.jpg
Park Vue Inn is my backup plan in the event my budget gets shot to hell for some reason. Any concerns with construction on that side of property (East).

SuddenStorm

See that's not how we tour at all. We won't do any days open-to-close "until we drop." My goal isn't to rip through the parks and check of the list as quickly as possible, my goal is to have an enjoyable vacation at a relaxed pace.

If you're not worried about efficiency, will be sticking to one land at a time, and don't plan on spending 5+ hours in the park at a time, don't do Maxpass.

PB Watermelon

Nemo doesn't have a Fastpass.

I went to City Hall to get Anniversary and 1st Visit buttons for my wife, and confirm codes for reservations. A man was there who had completely lost his composure, was yelling and screaming. Disneyland opened later than was planned after Grad Night. Things happen. This man was going ballistic. Borderline "call the police" ballistic.. His little girl was tugging his hand, saying, "Daddy, let's go!"

Told the rep how sorry I was they had to deal with people like that. She scrawled out one of those passes giving us access to any attraction we wanted. Told us reps will bend over backwards to make sure people have a great time, but when people roll in shouting and screaming, they have no reason to accommodate you. She thanked "us" for being kind to "them".

Used the passes for Nemo. Also -- because of the buttons -- out of the blue, we got pulled out of a crowd and were given VIP seating for the fireworks. Be good to people, people will be good to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom