Help! WDW expert but Disneyland rookie

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
We (me, wife, D4 and D1) are eyeing February 2-9 for our first trip to Disneyland. D4 is obsessed with Cars and we want to get her to see Radiator Springs before Star Wars hits and the entire resort becomes a zoo for two years. I have my Orlando trip planning down to an absolute science but I'm completely out of my element trying to plan Disneyland. Our normal WDW touring schedule is four hours in the parks in the morning, three hours at the hotel in the afternoons, and four more hours in the parks in the evenings. We usually take the morning off after a late night show.

What are everyone's tips in terms of allocating time to the two parks? We want to do absolutely everything since we don't plan to make this trip very often (if at all) in the future, meaning we'll need to allow time for rider swap so we can get on the "big kid" rides that the girls will be too small to go on. What should I expect in terms of crowds? Is rope drop as important at DLR as it is at WDW? One thing I'm really not liking is the lack of FastPass+. It seems to throw a major wrench in my normal plans of taking the morning off after a show.

We'll be staying at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian, so we'll have access to Extra Magic Hours (or whatever they call it out there). I'm tentatively thinking of taking advantage of them on the days the parks open at 10am (9am EMH), but going to the opposite park on the days when the parks open at 8am or 9am (7am or 8am EMH).

Last edited:

westie

GC has its own entrance to DCA and you get extra morning hour to do RSR. 3 days is perfect. 1 day per park plus extra to make up for what was missed. Try to make dinner ressies for your sit down meals and or show tickets. As always, I recommend Steakhouse 55.

PiratesMansion

Good plan with the EMR, with the caveat that the earlier the EMR is, the less crowded the park will be. 7 AM EMRs might not sound like fun, but they are much much less busy.

Rope drop is much less crazy, and the parks don't get packed until 11 or so. Not as much of a difference from WDW with a 10 opening, but at 8 AM openings you have a solid three hours where it's very, very easy to ride what you want with minimal hassle.

You'll live without FastPass+, there are five Disney properties around the world that manage to be great without it! :) You can opt for MaxPass if you want, $10/day/person, and it feeds real-time FP availability to your phone through the app. Otherwise you're doing it like the non-WDW parks (and how WDW used to be), going to the machines and getting tickets that way. But I'd say FP just isn't as important at DL because I generally find the ride lines to be much shorter. The shorter lines and the close proximity of many of the attractions makes it much easier to do a lot of rides in a shorter period of time. You could probably still take the morning off after a show and have tons of FPs available when you get to the park. The only rides where they really go quickly and often run out are RSR and GOTG (add Space if HyperSpace.

You might consider using Single Rider rather than switching off sometimes, as there are many, many rides that offer Single Rider at DLR.

My final, general caveat is to not treat DL the same way you treat WDW. They are different resorts that in many ways function very differently. You can't go in expecting WDW west; you have to go in expecting and embracing the differences.

Phroobar

Don't let Disneyland's size confuse you. There is actually more rides and attractions at Disneyland and DCA then in all four WDW parks combined. Also both parks are directly across from each other. DL also has the better versions of POTC and HM and they have newer shows that WDW will never get. It's the superior resort. Take time to rest during the day. You might also take some time at Knotts/USH and the beach. If you had more time San Diego is a great city to spend a few days in.

TP2000

There might be some useful information in the Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans! thread

Agreed that the WDW Veterans thread is an absolute must-do starting point for this scenario.

That said, a few comments specific to this group and itinerary...

In June they begin Downtown Disney demolition and construction on the fourth luxury hotel for Disneyland, and it will take over the west end of Downtown Disney by the Disneyland Hotel. By February'19 that area will be leveled, but it will make walking into the parks from the Disneyland Hotel difficult and the monorail station may be closed.

With a child who has Cars Land at the top of their list, it would be wise to budget the extra money to stay at the Grand Californian instead of the Disneyland Hotel in February '19.

I always recommend people look at Disneyland via Google Earth, and that gets you a better idea of how the place fits together. And remember, there are nearly as many rides and attractions and major entertainment spectaculars crammed into these two parks the size of Epcot as there are in all four WDW theme parks combined. Lines are typically shorter at Disneyland Resort because of this, and rides can literally be stacked on top of one another or have entrances just a few yards from each other. MaxPass can still be very handy when it comes to grabbing Fastpasses for the popular E Tickets like Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

Same Scale and Same Size. Very different land use.
dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
It's the superior resort.
We'll see, but I find that extremely hard to believe. I fully expect that I'll like Disneyland Park more than Magic Kingdom and California Adventure more than Hollywood Studios or Epcot, but I don't expect I'll put DLR in its entirety ahead of WDW. I put tremendous value on the "bubble" that WDW has, and I expect I'll be somewhat put off by the encroachment of Southern California around the walls of the Disneyland Resort.

And remember, there are nearly as many rides and attractions and major entertainment spectaculars crammed into these two parks the size of Epcot as there are in all four WDW theme parks combined.
Right, that's why I can't figure out why everything I read online recommends three days to see everything. I'm stressed out thinking of how I'm going to get to everything in six.

SuddenStorm

Right, that's why I can't figure out why everything I read online recommends three days to see everything. I'm stressed out thinking of how I'm going to get to everything in six.

It sounds like you're overthinking it. Six days is more than enough time to enjoy the parks, even if you're trying to do every attraction and show.

BUT, if you want to maximize your efficiency in the park- be diligent with your fastpasses. If you're eligible for a new one, make sure getting a new one is your first priority. Either have a fastpass runner, or use Maxpass. Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Star Tours, and Splash Mountain go the fastest. Never wait Stand By for a ride that is fast pass compatible, since Fastpass will always be faster than waiting stand by, and when the park is slow, that's when you need to be doing the rides that don't have Fastpass while the lines are short.

Don't get food at peak times when the lines are ridiculously long. Be at the park daily for rope drop- you'll be most efficient the first three hours of the park being open, and the last two.

With six days, I'd recommend having one day where you do as many attractions as possible in Disneyland Park, and if you insist on doing DCA during your trip, spend a day doing every attraction there. Then, spend the other days doing the shows and attractions you missed or want to revisit.

Disney Analyst

Make sure you check out Fantasmic if it's running, World of Color, and Paint the Night.

Take time to enjoy all the little details, explore New Orleans Square, find Walt's Apartment. Pirates is significantly better, and Indiana Jones is incredible. Fantasyland has all the great dark rides still, including Alice and Pinocchio which will be new for you. Alice is wonderful.

Last time I did the parks, I did 5 days, with a 5 day park hopper. We used fastpass to maximize our time, and we hopped around both parks throughout the day (which can be exhausting). There used to be fastpass machines which weren't linked, so you could have two fastpasses at the same time. Unsure if that is still the case. It's just like old WDW with fastpass, so it can be much easier to use, and you always have a chance of getting any ride you want as long as you get the most popular attractions fastpass first thing.

mlayton144

We'll see, but I find that extremely hard to believe. I fully expect that I'll like Disneyland Park more than Magic Kingdom and California Adventure more than Hollywood Studios or Epcot, but I don't expect I'll put DLR in its entirety ahead of WDW. I put tremendous value on the "bubble" that WDW has, and I expect I'll be somewhat put off by the encroachment of Southern California around the walls of the Disneyland Resort.

It sounds like you have the first part already figured out, which is setting expectations. The Disney bubble is nothing like WDW, go in embracing the fact that it was the original and all of the different details. Lose the idea of the many resort areas and their cool ambience , and the inferior dining and recreation options. As others have said the resort is much less capable of absorbing large masses of people so you will notice them more with the outdoor lines and narrower walkways. Go in expecting some cool differences between the rides and ones that don’t exist at all at WDW. Enjoy the nighttime shows as well.

BasiltheBatLord

6 days is more than enough time to do everything. I usually do 2-3 days at DLR when I go and that feels like enough. MaxPass is incredibly useful although since you’re doing 6 days maybe you won’t even need it.

Phroobar

I think the best thing to do is take some time and relax. Ride the train at least three loops. Don't run yourself ragged chasing fastpasses. Take in the detail and soul of the park. Wdw is pretty corporate and souless. Kids need some downtime.

There are some great places to eat off campus too. Explore.

TP2000

I think the best thing to do is take some time and relax. Ride the train at least three loops. Don't run yourself ragged chasing fastpasses. Take in the detail and soul of the park. Wdw is pretty corporate and souless. Kids need some downtime.

There are some great places to eat off campus too. Explore.

Six days? Yes, they'll definitely want to get off property and explore SoCal, if not just Orange County.

This thread is invaluable for that... https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...uthern-california-thread.872243/#post-5690042

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
My family has been to DLR 2x, about the time of the year as you are planning to go.

Big things we noticed that were different:

DLR does not require planning to the extent of WDW. In fact, you could go there that time of year with no plan and still get to do everything in 3 or 4 days.

We aren’t the type to go back to our hotel midday at WDW, yet at DLR, it was very easy to walk out of the park to Disneyland Hotel at any time. The Grand Californian is even closer.

I dare say you won’t feel as rushed, as in “I’ve got to be at such place at such time,” etc. It’s a much more relaxed vibe there.

TP2000

Oh never ever call Disneyland, "Disney". That is an east coast tourist thing. It's frond upon here. ;)

My God, yes. What a great point. Just say "Disneyland", that encompasses Disneyland and California Adventure and pretty much the entire property. If you say "Disney" when you really mean Disneyland people will assume you live east of the Rockies and you won't get local discounts.

Jedi Stitch

I can offer words of encouragement. I spent the 80's and 90's at DLR. I only have one single day visit my company gave me in '08, and thats it. I never have been to DCA. My family went to WDW in Jan '16 and it was awesome. the Bubble is soo true. That being said. We are going to DLR for 3 days and have been told that should be plenty of time. In the past one day at Disneyland, can be enough to see pretty much all of it. 2 days, you have seen it all. So one day each park and one day to see what we missed should be fine.
Just remember, that you probably should ride the rides that are not at WDW. I plan to hit Indiana Jones Adventure, same ride track as Dinosaur but more epic. Materhorn, where you can see the Yeti, not as epic as Everest, but functioning. Finding Nemo subs. I have been told that Pirates is better, and so is splash. Star Tours is in Tomorrowland here. I believe we have Snow whites Castle while WDW has sleeping beauty. No dining plan, and I hope I can figure out how to get Max Pass. There is no Fastpass. I am to understand you can do ADR, now so that is good. My only recommendation, since I only have classic Disney experience, is the Blue Bayou restaurant. It is a New Orleans theme sitting on a night terrace. You are actually in the ride loading area for Pirates. you can see them get boarded. Really fun. This is part of New Orleans Square, no Liberty Square here. It is all compact too. I do remember when we did WDW, that you walk and walk, not as much in DLR. Yes, when you are outside the gates you get the encroachment, but you also can hit the restaurants and such. If, you do the Disney Hotel or Grand California, then other than having Anaheim in view from your window, you will be in the little Disney Bubble. Justin Scarred You tube videos are a great source of Fun DLR info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom