HELP me!!! Revise trip, cancel, or still go??

musihn01

Original Poster
Hey guys, I haven’t planned many Disney trips and I haven’t been as up to date on covid stuff with Disney until today.

Our plan is to go to WDW in December, the 16th-19th, for our daughter’s 7th birthday. She’s a Disney fanatic and has been there a few times but this will be our first trip without my parents/other family members coming too so this would be the first time we’d be able to really focus on planning to do all the things that SHE would want to do. We also have a toddler who would be 2.5y/o at the time of our trip.

I don’t know what to do. I considered today cancelling and then maybe booking a Disney cruise for the same time and do that for her birthday instead but I also don’t know the restrictions for cruises and know the ships aren’t sailing right now (or at least some?)

The main things she will care about at Disney will be character greetings, character dining, Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique, and fireworks. We planned to attend the regular firework show on the 16th, and one of the Christmas parties while we are there. We usually go to the dessert party and garden viewing for fireworks. I know I need to call and set all that stuff up but I can’t decide what to do. Everything is so up in the air at Disney, I guess I just want opinions on if one way would be safer (as far as keeping our plans and having a good time I mean. We will practice social distancing, wear masks, etc to be actually *physically* safe.)

Anyone have any thoughts? This is my first time planning the trip alone without other adults helping with certain things since we usually have a larger group going together, and I think this year will be her last year with it being super magical. Obviously it’s always magical, but like the little kid, believe everything is real type of magical, and it’s making me really sad that it doesn’t look like it will work out how we planned.

Sorry if there’s posts like this already, I don’t frequent these boards much unless looking for specific info. Thanks in advance for any help. I know there won’t be any definite answers but I appreciate opinions.

KBLovedDisney

Hey guys, I haven’t planned many Disney trips and I haven’t been as up to date on covid stuff with Disney until today.

Our plan is to go to WDW in December, the 16th-19th, for our daughter’s 7th birthday. She’s a Disney fanatic and has been there a few times but this will be our first trip without my parents/other family members coming too so this would be the first time we’d be able to really focus on planning to do all the things that SHE would want to do. We also have a toddler who would be 2.5y/o at the time of our trip.

I don’t know what to do. I considered today cancelling and then maybe booking a Disney cruise for the same time and do that for her birthday instead but I also don’t know the restrictions for cruises and know the ships aren’t sailing right now (or at least some?)

The main things she will care about at Disney will be character greetings, character dining, Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique, and fireworks. We planned to attend the regular firework show on the 16th, and one of the Christmas parties while we are there. We usually go to the dessert party and garden viewing for fireworks. I know I need to call and set all that stuff up but I can’t decide what to do. Everything is so up in the air at Disney, I guess I just want opinions on if one way would be safer (as far as keeping our plans and having a good time I mean. We will practice social distancing, wear masks, etc to be actually *physically* safe.)

Anyone have any thoughts? This is my first time planning the trip alone without other adults helping with certain things since we usually have a larger group going together, and I think this year will be her last year with it being super magical. Obviously it’s always magical, but like the little kid, believe everything is real type of magical, and it’s making me really sad that it doesn’t look like it will work out how we planned.

Sorry if there’s posts like this already, I don’t frequent these boards much unless looking for specific info. Thanks in advance for any help. I know there won’t be any definite answers but I appreciate opinions.
As of right now, there are no face-to-face character greetings or dining. The fireworks are not happening currently and no clue what is going on with Bibbidi. I doubt it is currently even open.

Anyone else care to elaborate?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Cancel and save the money for more than a three day trip.

With kids those ages, you want to go for as long as possible. Otherwise you're going to be running yourself ragged trying to get to everything in just a few days. Spread it out so you can enjoy the parks at a slow pace with plenty of time for naps and/or early bed.

PorterRedkey

Its seem like all the things your daughter is looking forward to have been canceled for the forseeable future. So I don't know why you would still want to go.

I know we build these vacations up and it it hard to cancel something you have been lokking foward to, but remember the experience you thought you were getting when you booked, will be vastly different than the experience you will be getting in the parks currently.

Viruses spread like wildfire on cruise ships. A cruise ship is the last place I would want to be this year, but that's just me.

Wendy Pleakley

With kids those ages, you want to go for as long as possible. Otherwise you're going to be running yourself ragged trying to get to everything in just a few days. Spread it out so you can enjoy the parks at a slow pace with plenty of time for naps and/or early bed.

The flip side to this is that with a short trip there will be plenty to fill those days, it's not like you'll run out of things to do and wish there were fireworks or a character meal to fill the extra time.

I would personally have zero problem with a Disney trip that doesn't include the things you listed as priorities, but that goes to show it's a matter of individual preference. I'm not sure what to advise other than to say that a short trip focused solely on attractions sounds fun, and would still be worthwhile.

I agree with everyone on the cruise. You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship this year.

Disstevefan1

If the main things she will care about at Disney will be character greetings, character dining, Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique, its highly unlikely these will be happening in December.

JohnD

Sure your trip can still be "magical". But some of the "magical" things your daughter cares about will be on pause for a while during COVID. Character greetings and fireworks are two of those. Character dining is VERY limited. I think only one restaurant is doing that right now. Being a guy, I wouldn't know about Bibbidi but I did look it up on the WDW website. Not available right now. If you don't mind not having those things but still think you could have an enjoyable time visiting the parks, then you could still go. It's up to you.

Chef Mickey

I can't imagine any kid wanting to wear a mask all day long in the hot Florida sun.
Believe it. My nieces did it (both under 8) and didn’t even complain. Kids are moldable. You prep them, practice and keep talking about it BEFORE the trip, and they will be fine with it.

If I’m OP, I’m still going, just be prepared for no physical character interaction but you still see characters and can do some character dining.

The low crowds, no worries of fast pass planning, and almost no wait times make it 100% worth going.

BASS

I have kids under 10 too. I'm personally not interested in going to Disney until I can safely and comfortably enjoy it. The last thing I want to do is fork out $$$ to spend the vacation neurotic about what the kids are touching and whether I'm imposing unnecessary risk upon them, since they're too small to manage a face-mask, attempt to social distance, not touch everything, etc. I'd be more comfortable if my kids were older or if it was just an adult trip. So, I'd plan the trip for later but that's just my preference and risk tolerance at the moment with youngins.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Believe it. My nieces did it (both under 8) and didn’t even complain. Kids are moldable. You prep them, practice and keep talking about it BEFORE the trip, and they will be fine with it.

If I’m OP, I’m still going, just be prepared for no physical character interaction but you still see characters and can do some character dining.

The low crowds, no worries of fast pass planning, and almost no wait times make it 100% worth going.
This is the mentality of someone who has been to the parks many times pre-COVID and will be back many times post-COVID. For people who are visiting on more of a "once in several years" basis, it makes more sense to wait for the full experience.

It's the same advice I give when people ask if they should go with a baby. If you go every year anyways, continue to go with a baby. If you only go every few years or once in the kid's childhood, wait until they're older.

Storm

I wouldn’t go if I was you due to all the reasons other people talk about. It just won’t be enjoyable and you will be worried and nervous all the time and other people being too close to you and your kids , your kids touching things that people touched as well etc. Really doesn’t sound fun. Plus the limited experiences.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is the mentality of someone who has been to the parks many times pre-COVID and will be back many times post-COVID. For people who are visiting on more of a "once in several years" basis, it makes more sense to wait for the full experience..
This. I’d have no problem going assuming the precautions were adequate. We’re still hoping for DLP later this year (third time lucky) - but I’d tell any first timer or irregular visitor to skip this year.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Based on what your daughter wants to do I would say cancel and rebook for some time in 2021.
Currently there are no character meet n greets, at least not in the normal sense of walking up to a character, giving them a hug, getting an autograph, talking, taking cute pics etc.
Right now its all done from a far which is cute and you get to see more unique characters and characters doing unique things but its just not as intimate and personal.
Right now the character dining experiences are also done in an unconventional way as well. For example at Garden Grill it seems the characters are on the upper level and come up from behind so you can turn around and wave etc and take a pic.
Right now there is no BBB as its too intimate.
Right now there are no fireworks because they gather crowds making it harder to enforce social distancing.
Come December everything may be back to normal but at this point I personally doubt it will be. I think we're looking at probably January /February once vaccines have become available.

I also wouldn't count on a cruise.
I believe they've been pushed back to October now and come October I get the feeling they will be pushed out to January/February.

Its all just my personal speculation based on how the country has blown up with cases in the past month.

You should also consider how close to the holidays this would be.
If you're getting together with older family members you may not want to go to a hot spot like Florida or jump on a cruise ship where sickness easily spreads in a normal situation.

As much as it pains me I don't think I'll be going until August 2021 at this point and one of the main reasons is because I live with my parents who are in their 70's and I'd feel terrible if I went and came back and felt perfectly fine myself but ended up giving it to them.

Parker in NYC

Mold those kids! Life is tough! They're not going into the army, they're going on vacation.

britdaw

I totally agree. Go for at least 5 days, to give yourself more time to see and do the things your kids will really want to do.

NelleBelle

As much as I think going at Christmas-time would be great, I don't think going this year would be a good idea (can your 2.5 year-old toddler keep a mask on for the whole day?). You definitely want to go for more than 3-days (it's one thing if going to Disneyland, and even then, unless you've been before, that's kinda pushing it with young kids).

The above posters are absolutely correct! There will be NO fireworks this year, sadly. NO meet-n-greets of the type your 7-yo wants. NO Bibbidi Bobbidi at either location (and if that's important to you, and they were taking were open and taking reservations, they may be fully booked this late in the game). I think you would be so stressed trying to fit everything you want to see, not to mention they still have the park reservations in place, limited restaurants open, etc. Also, big possibility the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party will be cancelled 😕

A cruise would be a great option! Except I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they will sail in December. Most ports they visit are closed to cruise ships at this time and closed to Americans (sorry, just assuming you are American and if not, US borders are still closed and if not American, why on earth would you come to the COVID hotspot of the world???). Plus, the way DCL works, instead of prices getting lower the closer to sail-by date, the more expensive the cruise gets. So unless $$ is no object, you would've gotten your best deal within the few days after the cruise was release last year (although you can get some deals still, they just won't be better than when the cruise was first release).

So after this ranting post of mine...I would post-pone your trip until next Christmas when hopefully you can get a vaccine 🤞🏻 (no guarantees on that), you'll be able to hopefully go longer, things will be getting somewhat back to normal as far as M&G, fireworks (?), BBB, finished rides, your toddler will be older, there are still lots of 8-yo girls dressed up enjoying the "magic" (heck, if I could dress up like a princess, I'd do it 😂) and you'll be there for the 50th anniversary!! And if you decide to do a MVMCP, there hopefully won't be in jeopardy of being cancelled. And you'll have more time to book a cruise where you and your family will have more of a chance to have connecting staterooms/rooms close together. Plus the Very Merri Christmas cruises are VERY popular and tend to sell out. I believe the dates were just released so there are cheapest rates to be had if that's what you want to do!

Hard choices but I would seriously not go this year for the little amount of time you're going. Make it a "christmas surprise" that you're going next year and get your daughter in on the planning--that's half the fun and you'll have a planning buddy!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom