Help me plan a dream!

loveofamouse

I still can't believe this happened. My son was granted a wish from Make-A-Wish! We sit down with the interviewer Sept. 18th. I have been talking with my son about his wish. I was really nervous about what he would wish for. While I'm game for anything, and it is all up to him, I was really nervous he'd say something like Alaska! (which he has said randomly in the past).

His wish was to go to Disney for a month and Legoland. Yes, I told him that a month won't happen. lol

He's 7yrs old. I have to pick dates for his trip. I'm thinking the end of the school year, about April/May. Weather should be great. We have gone to Disney several times, but have not done a lot of the paid-for experiences or experiences that you have to randomly be picked for. We just go to the parks and stay at the Value resorts. MAW says he can wish to do anything on property, and they'll try to make it happen.

Please tell me about some of the special experiences. I have been periodically sitting with him on the website to "explore" and see what's available. He's been making a list of things he wants to do.

*He does use a chair, but can walk small distances. He's in love with anything Toy Story and Mickey and, obviously, Legos.

ImagineerDude

Congratulations! That is awesome! One thing I will say is make sure it is his dream and not yours not that I'm saying you'd do that :) I think exploring the website is a great idea. Really have him pick out a favorite resort (I would push for the Deluxe resorts) and pick his favorite resort pool. That is what sells me on a resort. Don't miss the waterparks and parks and well...everything! Character dining is great, Chef Mickey's is best. If reviews come back positive, check out Be Our Guest restaraunt opening in December. You will get to see most of New Fantasyland! This is a great oppertunity because my dream WDW vacation package costs over $32,000! Have fun :D

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I'm in tears reading this. How great is this?!?!?!?!?? I agree with ImagineerDude, let your wonderful son peruse the many resorts, then pick his fav. The planning from there on out is endless and so exciting!! Have him pick out his fav restaurants (character dining, fav foods, etc) Sooooo many options!!! How wonderful is this for your family!!! May your son and your family be blessed with a trip filled with lots of pixie dust and a bunch of memories!!!

Upvote 0

acrab3t

If he likes pirates you may want to consider a pirate firework cruise. The boat leaves from the Contemporary resort. They have select dates so you would have to check to see they offer it when you go. If he likes Mickey, book a character breakfast at either Chef Mickey's (Contemporary resort) or Tusker House (Animal Kingdom). My son love's seeing him at breakfast. It is a great way to start the day. I have a friend whose son was granted his wish to go to Walt Disney from Make a Wish last month. From the pictures I saw he had the time of his life. They stayed at the Make a Wish resort. They had their own villa and it looked amazing. Best wishes on your planning!

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Oh, I'm trying. lol. I'm showing him a lot of options and possibilities, but, from the first time I asked him, I told myself, "Let it all be him." Kinda a test of my vacation lessons to him HAHA. j/k I just found out that it's not mandatory to stay at Give Kids the World Village so I'm going to leave that up to him. I will show him the resorts and the GKTW website and let him choose. I have a feeling, though, he may pick the Contemporary. He's always been a monorail fan.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

When I was a kid, I remember them picking families to be the grand marshals of the parades. I always wanted to do that. My family also got to watch the afternoon parade in the Magic Kingdom from the bridge between Main Street and Liberty Square as a prize for winning a scavenger hunt. They told us that was where they put celebrities when they came. It was like our own private parade since we were the only people on the bridge. I don't know if they still do that, but you could wish for it. An all-day fastpass would be pretty cool too!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

This is just fantastic news! How wonderful for your son first and foremost and your family! I hope he gets to embrace everything he wants to do and that he is happier than words can express! Being a 7 yr old boy I would highly suggest the Pirate s Fireworks Cruise as somebody else mentioned. Maybe Disney would also offer up a behind the scenes look into POTC and a special meet and greet with Jack Sparrow and the gang! That would be awesome! Also I hear the Illuminations cruise is quite awesome itself and if he is into fireworks (and what kid or adult for that matter isn't! LOL) that would be perfect also. Maybe he'd love to participate in the Indiana Jones stage show...you know how sometimes they pick people out of the audience. Food wise I'd highly suggest Chef Mickey's, Tusker House at AK, I personally love 1900 Park Fare and Ohana's! Also there are lots of tour options if he is interested....Maybe the dolphin one at Epcot?? Or the Animal Trek Safari at AK?? He has so many options so enjoy planning the trip! Make A Wish is a fantastic organization!!:)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I'm so glad they can grant his wish :) I was thinking it might be an amazing experience for him if you guys could be first family at Magic Kingdom and help open the park. If there are any characters and rides he's quite fond of, you might see if he can ride the ride w/said character. I know I've seen pics of various characters riding on things like Dumbo, so maybe they can do this with other things? If he likes Pirates, I was thinking Pirate's League could be fun.

As for restaurants...soooooo many options, but Garden Grill is the first character one coming to mind for a boy. If Cali Grill is going to be open, it might be awesome to see if they can get you a window table so he can watch Wishes from up there. Other fun meals like 'Ohana, WCC, 50s PT, and Sci Fi might be good options. You might also see if you can get preferred viewing for Illuminations or see if they can set you up with a well positioned table at R&C.

I agree that letting him look at all of the resorts and decide for himself. There are just so many wonderful things to choose from, but if he's a CR fan...MK view at the Contemporary might be the ideal spot. You could also probably forget Cali Grill and just relax and watch fireworks from your balcony. :D

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I still can't believe this happened. My son was granted a wish from Make-A-Wish! We sit down with the interviewer Sept. 18th. I have been talking with my son about his wish. I was really nervous about what he would wish for. While I'm game for anything, and it is all up to him, I was really nervous he'd say something like Alaska! (which he has said randomly in the past).

His wish was to go to Disney for a month and Legoland. Yes, I told him that a month won't happen. lol

He's 7yrs old. I have to pick dates for his trip. I'm thinking the end of the school year, about April/May. Weather should be great. We have gone to Disney several times, but have not done a lot of the paid-for experiences or experiences that you have to randomly be picked for. We just go to the parks and stay at the Value resorts. MAW says he can wish to do anything on property, and they'll try to make it happen.

Please tell me about some of the special experiences. I have been periodically sitting with him on the website to "explore" and see what's available. He's been making a list of things he wants to do.

*He does use a chair, but can walk small distances. He's in love with anything Toy Story and Mickey and, obviously, Legos.

Congratulations! That is so amazing and a what a special dream come to true for your son!!!!

You can ask for a special meet and greet with Toy Story characters and Mickey Mouse.
Staying in the Castle for a night is a special wish for Make a Wish guests.
You can ask to do Pirate League if he likes pirates.

Upvote 0

Yoshiandi

They won't do the castle overnight stay for MAW kids.. I tried when we went in Nov. :( GKTW is an AMAZING place. I wouldn't pass staying there. They have soo much stuff for kids. The Disney Trips are usually one week, with 4 Disney passes, 2 Universal passes, and 1 Sea World pass. It's great as GKTW is right in the middle of all that. And they give you a special GAC that allows you to get in the front of the line for 90% of the rides. There were only a few that couldn't do that. AND the CM's at all the parks are on the look out for those buttons they give you and treat you like royalty. We did the BBB for my daughter and the princess breakfast. She was so stunned for most of the day, she was speechless (which is REALLY hard to do!! LOL) The entire process is fantastic and We can't wait to go back and visit GKTW to see Abby's star and visit the Snoring Tree.

photo.php

photo.php

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom