Help me choose...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My wife and I are going to be buying a house this coming year, and we can only afford to take 1 vacation. We do not want to skip a year in Disney, so here is my dilemma. We can not decide wether to go during the summer for a week, or during food and wine for 4 days.

If we go during the summer we have to deal with the crowds, and the heat and the tour groups. But we will be able to hit the water parks and pools, and have an extra couple of days of Disney.

We went to F&W this past year and absolutely loved it. The only disadvantage to this is, my wife is a teacher. So we would only be able to get down there for an extended weekend during Jersey week.

Having a very hard time making a decision on this one.

happymom52003

For me personally, the quality of our trips is so much higher when we do not have to suffer through the insane heat of summer. I would take a shorter trip during the fall over a longer one in the summer any day.

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I made one trip to WDW in June, and swore I would never go back again at that time of year. Too hot, and too rainy. We usually get to WDW twice a year, once for Flower & Garden and once for Food & Wine, and I won't go to F&G any later than the second week of May, it's just too hot for me; the heat slows us down, and even worse, makes hubby cranky.

If you enjoy the F&W Fest, go then--even with only four days, you can enjoy everything they have to offer. In fact, in Nov. 2010, we brought my sister-in-law and her hubby with us, we left on Thursday morning and came back on Monday morning, and we were able to do a couple of wine seminars, a couple of cooking demos, hit every single food booth we wanted to, and visited all the parks. And SIL is not an early riser. :lol: I don't think we got out of the rooms much before noon on any day of our trip. :eek:

The only day we felt rushed was our last day, where we were trying to squeeze in Osborne Lights and Castle Dreamlights, while satisfying SIL's need to ride Everest a second time--but we hit all four parks that day, so it's no wonder we felt rushed!!

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I am surprised at the butt whopping that summer is taking here.

I would have thought the extra days in the summer might sway some people. I know it is making me think twice about braving the heat.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Wow, absolutely trounced.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If we go in the summer, we will be going to WWoHP for a day. If we go to F&W then we will not be. Change any opinions?

Upvote 0

flavious27

Wow, absolutely trounced.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If we go in the summer, we will be going to WWoHP for a day. If we go to F&W then we will not be. Change any opinions?

Unless this is your only trip for the next 10 years, wall to wall people at a higher cost to stay is going to make you mad.

Upvote 0

twinnstar

Hmm, im in the minority! I say summer for a week! You've been to F&W before, and you'll only be away for 4 days, and thats your only vacation for a whole year!! I'd rather take a longer vacation! you'll have the pools and stuff to enjoy and if it gets nutty in the parks, you can always retreat back to your resort (assuming youre staying on prop)...also, you should go see WWoHP (just once, then you dont need to go back haha.)

Upvote 0

sbkline

I would probably choose the food and wine festival. For two reasons:

1) While I don't give a rat's toosh about the wine, I wouldn't mind sampling alot of the various foods.

2) forgetting about the food and wine event, and just focusing on the times of year in question, I would probably choose that time of year in hopes that it would be cooler temperatures and possibly less crowds, since the kids would be back in school. However, the crowds for the f&w festival may make up for that. But in either case, I would probably choose that time of year. At least I know WE would, since my wife would not want to go during the heat of summer. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

If I had a choice, I would go during F&W. There won't be nearly as many children as you'd find in the summer, it won't be hot and you will get to sample great foods. I have been during the summer and it is hotttt. I don't really mind the crowds too much but it will probably be a lot less crowded for F&W. If I could get away for F&W, I would so go. I have always wanted to go during the other times of the year when it is less crowded and there are specialty things going on...Star Wars Weekend especially.:) I'm a teacher, too.

You will get a few more days in the summer, but your trip will still be wonderful over the shorter trip. It is Disney, after all!!

Upvote 0

GenerationX

I'd choose Summer, no question about it. 7 days vs. 4 days is the key decision factor, and you can always tour early in the morning, take a break mid-day, then tour again in the evening. The parks have long hours of operation during the summer, too. The majority of our trips have been in the summer, and we've always had a great time.

Upvote 0

EPCOT.nut

I voted for Food & Wine, but then again I got married during Food & Wine just so we would have EPIC wedding anniversaries to pig out at EPCOT. :eek::D It just seemed like the logical choice.

Upvote 0

lbrad

DH and I are going this fall for F&W !!!
DH is a school teacher so our trip will be short & sweet.
We have never been during F&W...I am Soooo looking forward to it.
We have been many times in the summer....HOT & CROWDED!
Go in the fall...have a great trip :wave:

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Definitely not summer - I don't do heat very well. I'd rather have 25 degrees and a foot of snow to deal with!

If your choices are 7 days at Disney in the summer and having to spend 3 of those days at the resort or a water park because it was too hot and crowded in the parks, you might as well do the 4 days in the fall. Use the extra money on an extra special dinner to celebrate buying your house.

Upvote 0

coltow

I'd choose Summer, no question about it. 7 days vs. 4 days is the key decision factor, and you can always tour early in the morning, take a break mid-day, then tour again in the evening. The parks have long hours of operation during the summer, too. The majority of our trips have been in the summer, and we've always had a great time.
I agree 100% I would take 7 days over 4 too. I've gone in August many times over my life. I went in July 1ce and never will again, too many tour groups. I like August, as close to the end of the month as possible. Alot of southern schools go back the 2nd week of August. In the northeast we don't go back until after Labor Day so it's a great time for us to go. Sure it's hot, but as long as you're prepared you can make the most of it.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input everyone.

We wound up booking for F&W. The idea of buying a house and being in the process of setting up and moving during the summer and going to WDW is too much. So we decided on the shorter trip in the fall.

Fingers crossed to get into the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom