Help! I broke my foot!

We will be checking in on the 15th, and I am on crutches and in a cast. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do to make the trip easier? Thanks!

gwhb75

Rent a wheelchair or an EVC is the best thing I can think of. Guest Services can help you out with thoses (or you can look on-line for an EVC company. I understand there are some decent ones in Orlando). Hope you have a great time despite the set-back

Upvote 0

SMS55

Some people actually envy you because you will cut some lines. There are many rides at MK and EPCOT which you will go to the front of the line because a wheelchair can not fit through the line. At HS and DAK you won't be so "lucky." One thing I will tell you is that Animal Kingdom is a pain to push a wheelchair. If there is no strong person in your party you might want to rent an electric scooter that day. My wife rolled an ankle on a trip a few years back and we rented one. The pavement at Animal Kingdom makes it difficult to push a wheelchair and the inclines are even worse. When we went to MK later that day everything was fine.

Upvote 0

MouseDreaming

Wow, we just did this in June. If you can't put weight on it, I suggest an EVC. Don't depend on getting one in the park. Before you hit the park, stop at guest assistance and get a GAC card. This literally saved our vacation. DH couldn't do the lines with his ankle.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

I would suggest renting an ECV from one of the approved vendors so they can deliver it right to your resort. I would not want to use crutches more than I had to. I don't know what resort you're going to be staying at, but you could be doing a lot of walking there even when you're not in the parks. I looked into renting one for our trip in June just in case my DH needed it (he has hip and knee issues that sometimes act up when he does a lot of walking). Fortunately we didn't need it but I wanted to be ready to make the phone call and not have to do research while we were there. The price for a multi-day rental from one of the outside vendors is much more reasonable than a daily rental at the parks. And like others have said, there's no guarantee there will be any available at the parks when you get there.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I did WDW in a boot 2 years ago. I walked when I could, but we used a wheelchair a lot too. It helps when you're in line (standing still was still quite an issue then). We were only there for a couple of days , so we rented at the parks - you pay one price and have a chair at any of the parks, and I believe there was a discount for multiple days. They also have chairs available to go out to the parking lots too, which was a real help.
It's not the end of the world, and certainly not the way I'd recommend a trip, but it's OK, and most of the CM's were very helpful to us. I wrote a trip report about the whole thing here
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/theres-a-great-big-bootifull-trip-report.803902/
Good luck with the healing process and don't overdo!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CrazyDisneyLady

That's a bummer but don't you worry, you can still have a good vacation. I had the same problem last year. Apple scooters is awesome, they have the best prices and deliver right to you're hotel. The one thing I do recommend is taking breaks during the day though to elevate your foot, you will end up with a very swollen leg and in a lot of pain if you don't. Have fun I suggest the larger scooter it has a longer battery life. Don't forget to charge it every night when you get back to your room.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Not much help to you but wishing you a speedy recovery! Truthfully and without wanting to sound like a jerk travel insurance is your friend. We always buy it and have only used it once on a cruise but I highly recommend buying it in the future for peace of mind.

Sprinkle some pixie dust on that foot and have a great time!!!!:happy:

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
What a bummer! Rent a ECV, probably off site with delivery to your hotel might work out best from what I've read about. I really would not want to be on crutches all day at the parks.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Thanks, everyone! Any ECV rental recommendations?

When I did my research (reading trip reports, outside reviews, etc.), the company I decided to use (if needed) was Apple. I don't remember specifically *why* anymore. The most important things to me were that they could deliver to my resort without me being there and that they responded quickly if there was a problem. I think their prices may have been one of the best as well.

Upvote 0

WLBound

We reserved an ECV for next month with Buena Vista Scooter Rentals. We chose them because they are an approved vendor for WDW and can deliver and pick up at our resort. From what we were told, if you reserve with an unauthorized vendor then you will need to meet them in your lobby for drop off and pick up and we just didn't want to waste park time waiting on a scooter.

Upvote 0

smk

We will be checking in on the 15th, and I am on crutches and in a cast. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do to make the trip easier? Thanks!
Did this once too, on a trip without my husband and just with my kids who were 13,11 and 9. Yikes, that was a trip! My son, who was 11 at the time pushed me in my wheelchair and it was downright scary at times. He was having the time of his life and I was constantly afraid he would ram me into the legs of people in front of us! Fun, but alittle scary at the same time. I suggest renting an EVC, Disney has pricey ones, so check into having a rental one sent to your resort. That way you always have it. Crutches are no fun. I also could not put weight on my leg at all for 6 weeks and then after that it was touchy for a couple of weeks, almost like I forgot how to walk. We did get to the front of some, almost all rides, but I felt no guilt at all. It was obvious I was impaired. Go, have fun!

Upvote 0

SteveW

We rented from Apple Scooter 2 times and had great service from them. We had a problem with a scooter the 2nd time we rented from them while in one of the parks, and they had new scooter out to us in the park in less than hour. Super easy to deal with them and they had the scooter waiting at the resort bell captain area when we got to the resort. Their web address is; http://www.applescooter.com/

Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom