Help! AKL or Beach Club???

Buried20KLeague

Help me make a choice here.

My family is heading back to WDW this Sept. I've got a 9 and 7 year old. We've been to Disney 21 times in the past 9 years. We've stayed at many of the resorts. We've been to both AKL and the Beach Club, but haven't stayed at either. So this trip we'd like to try one of these two. Which should it be???

I know a lot about both resorts, just can't make a decision. At the AKL, we'd have a pool view room (that's what I've already got booked), not savannah. At the Beach Club, it would be a standard Garden view.

I know about Stormalong Bay, I know about the savannahs, I know about Beaches 'N Cream, Boma & the Zebra Domes, etc... I'm quite sure we'll be happy with either choice, as both resorts offer all kinds of things. I just can't make up my mind.

If there's one thing that's been on my mind is location. Epcot within walking distance would be cool, plus a boat ride to MGM, plus the Boardwalk... AKL is kinda far away from everything. Although we'll have our own car. And many people say that AKL is just amazing to stay at and is their favorite resort. We've been there a few times and thought it was really cool, but I just can't make up my mind.

See? Quite a choice.

HELP!!!!

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
Given the room type I would go with Beach Club. If you can rebook a Savannah room then AKL would win hands down.

So you think that a savannah room is that big a difference? I could have gotten a savannah room, but honestly I just didn't think it was that big a deal... It's not like the animals are 5 feet from your balcony, right? There's a space and then a big fence.

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

Even if you are not in a Savannah room, there are many places inside and outside the resort for viewing animals. There are also many planned activities for children. While you can't walk anywhere, the bus rides to and from the parks aren't that bad.

Upside for the Beach Club, is the walking distance/boat ride advantage to 2 of the parks. Also the pool is awesome. I give a slight edge to Boardwalk for the Epcot resorts, but they are all quite nice. I love being able to walk back to the resort after Fantasmic or after Illuminations. And it's also nice to park hop back to Epcot every night and have dinners at a different country each night.

Bottom line: flip a coin, and stay at the other one your next trip. They are both great.

Upvote 0
AKL is my choice.

AKL is great. While you can't reach out and touch the animals you are very close. Plus there is just something magical about opening your windows and having a giraffe staring back at you.

I will comment that the buses at AKL are actually good compared to other resorts. AKL is on its own line for the most part, while some other deluxe resorts actually share buses at some point. (for example Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge this past Dec.) We've actually gotten to Pleasure Island faster from AKL than from Wilderness Lodge on two different occasions over the past few years due to these shared buses.

We've also taken the boat from MGM to EPCOT and by the time you make all the stops it can take as long or longer than a bus ride would have taken from AKL. Cool way to travel I'll grant you, but the only real compelling reason for BC from my point of view is easy walking to EPCOT.

Upvote 0

jmdude61

I have stayed at the animal kingdom lodge ant the atmosphere is great. The pool is nice and there is stuff to do for yourself.

The Beach club though seems the better choice. The location is the key. You do not have to drive to epcot due to the walking distance. It is nice to be able to walk to your hotel at the end of the day after walking around the countries at epcot.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

We are looking at both resorts for our next trip (Fall 07). We stayed at AKL in Dec of 05 and loved it. It was only one night, it was a surprise for the kids(11,9,2), and they loved it. We were all the way down on one of the ends which was a hike but, when we opened the drapes, there were 3 giraffes and an ox looking back at them. Our next trip we are looking at a 2 night stay to be able to use the resort more. Maybe stay the rest of the time at BC because of the traveling benefits and the theming. We are up in the air. Just a couple of things we experienced, Boma was alright but we wont go back. Not really our type of food. We will do Jiko instead. The kids could have spent hours looking at the animals. You could easily spend half a day or more going from opening to openings between the buildings looking at all the critters. It is definately better to get AK over with while your staying there, its only a short ride. Why not split your stay between both resorts and report back on your experience? Its not like we dont get tired of reading about everyones trips!:hammer:

Upvote 0

olive10tails

I agree with Master Yoda. I would never go to AKL without a savannah view room. We stay there every year and would be disappointed if we weren't on the savannah. It's so much more peaceful than any other resort. I can't imagine us staying anywhere else! We are creatures of habit and also relaxation--AKL gives us that.

Upvote 0

Diztechie

Hmm, decisions, decisions....

With our 4 kids, the DW and I have stayed at both. The 2 boys preferred the AKL, while all of the girls preferred BC. However, if it tells you anything, we just booked a Halloween trip last week and it's at.... the Beach Club. Something about the combination of the Food and Wine Festival and the walk to Epcot is more appealing to the family. We really, really liked the AKL, but I'm afraid the kids are finding Epcot more interesting now. Good luck with your decision, as you can't go too far wrong either way!!!

Upvote 0

RickEff

I've stayed at both, and you won't be disappointed in either.

It depends on the type of vacation. If you'll have time to relax and not rush off to the parks all the time, AKL (with Savannah view, not pool view!) would win hands down.

If you're there for a short period and quick access to the parks is more a concern you can't go wrong with Beach Club.

DAKL is my favourite resort hands down, but the location of Beach Club is very tempting. That's why I still visit it from time to time. Now that I'm a DVC member, I'm sure I'll be doing it more often!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Buried20KLeague said:
So you think that a savannah room is that big a difference? I could have gotten a savannah room, but honestly I just didn't think it was that big a deal... It's not like the animals are 5 feet from your balcony, right? There's a space and then a big fence.
They aren't quite that close (maybe 20' or so) and there is no visible fence. There is what appears to be an electrified border but it true Disney fashion it is made to look like the natural brush. AKL with a Savannah view is just a personal preference for me. There is just something really neat about stepping out on your balcony in the wee hours of the morning and being greeted by a giraffe. I have stayed in nearly every resort on property and AKL was the only one that I really wanted to hang out at and the Savannah view room is a big part of that for me. I also like the isolation of AKL.
Transportation at AKL is among the best on property where I have found Beach Club to be a little lacking especially when the busses are servicing so many resorts. But then again you have 2 parks and the Boardwalk right at your back door at Beach club.
To sum up I really prefer AKL over every resort when it comes to the resort and resort alone. When I rally want to get away from the real world and exist totally in fantasy it fits the bill.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
In reading all your personal views, I think maybe I've come to a realization.

When we're down there on vacation we pretty much go non-stop. We're the kind of family that's dead tired after our 9 day vacation... That's the way we like to do it.

I'm starting to think that based on that, the Beach club is easily the best choice for us, with the location so near two parks, plus the Boardwalk so close, and all the great restaurants within walking distance (between the ones in Epcot and Boardwalk). There's just so much going on around the Beach Club as compared to AKL.

I may have rationalized out a choice! (or at least talked myself into one for now!!)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Buried20KLeague said:
In reading all your personal views, I think maybe I've come to a realization.

When we're down there on vacation we pretty much go non-stop. We're the kind of family that's dead tired after our 9 day vacation... That's the way we like to do it.

I'm starting to think that based on that, the Beach club is easily the best choice for us, with the location so near two parks, plus the Boardwalk so close, and all the great restaurants within walking distance (between the ones in Epcot and Boardwalk). There's just so much going on around the Beach Club as compared to AKL.

I may have rationalized out a choice! (or at least talked myself into one for now!!)
I am going to throw a monkey wrench in it for you so don't hate me. :D

Why not stay at both? Disney will transport your luggage for you while you are at the parks and you can have the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

brich

Master Yoda said:
I am going to throw a monkey wrench in it for you so don't hate me. :D

Why not stay at both? Disney will transport your luggage for you while you are at the parks and you can have the best of both worlds.
Great advice... We're doing the AKL and Poly for our October trip...Did CB, AKL and Poly for last years trip...:sohappy:

If I had to make this choice? No question AKL... My kids enjoyed it soooo much, they asked to not go the parks one day so they could take part in the activities at the AKL. It was the highlight of their trip. I can't think of a more peaceful and tranquil experience than getting up in the morning and sitting out on the balconey as the sun comes up, the animals roaming, their breathe visable, the dew on the grass... We also run ourselves into the ground so what better way to start a busy day then this way. BUT, to each his/her own. Whatever works best for you. For us, it's the experience of the AKL.... but it has to be a savanah view...:D

My .02cents

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

AKL -- have you ever been there. I dreamed of staying there -- then visited and was like "oh, um, that's okay"

Beach offers you EVERYTHING at your fingertips. You can drink around the world and stumble back to your room without trying to figure out which bus to ride.

Upvote 0

brich

JimboJones123 said:
AKL -- have you ever been there. I dreamed of staying there -- then visited and was like "oh, um, that's okay"

Beach offers you EVERYTHING at your fingertips. You can drink around the world and stumble back to your room without trying to figure out which bus to ride.
Did you ever stay at AKL or did you just visit there?
I guess it depends on what EVERYTHING means to you. Drinking around the world and stumbling back to my room is not high on my list, especially with children. Plus, we rent a car so transportation is never an issue no matter where we stay. Like I said, to each his/her own....:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom