Help! AKL or Beach Club???

Buried20KLeague

Help me make a choice here.

My family is heading back to WDW this Sept. I've got a 9 and 7 year old. We've been to Disney 21 times in the past 9 years. We've stayed at many of the resorts. We've been to both AKL and the Beach Club, but haven't stayed at either. So this trip we'd like to try one of these two. Which should it be???

I know a lot about both resorts, just can't make a decision. At the AKL, we'd have a pool view room (that's what I've already got booked), not savannah. At the Beach Club, it would be a standard Garden view.

I know about Stormalong Bay, I know about the savannahs, I know about Beaches 'N Cream, Boma & the Zebra Domes, etc... I'm quite sure we'll be happy with either choice, as both resorts offer all kinds of things. I just can't make up my mind.

If there's one thing that's been on my mind is location. Epcot within walking distance would be cool, plus a boat ride to MGM, plus the Boardwalk... AKL is kinda far away from everything. Although we'll have our own car. And many people say that AKL is just amazing to stay at and is their favorite resort. We've been there a few times and thought it was really cool, but I just can't make up my mind.

See? Quite a choice.

HELP!!!!

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
I am going to throw a monkey wrench in it for you so don't hate me. :D

Why not stay at both? Disney will transport your luggage for you while you are at the parks and you can have the best of both worlds.

You hate me, don't you. You just had to make this difficult for me again. :lookaroun

:lol:

That's actually not too bad an idea, to switch hotels mid-trip. I'd thought of that before, but it seemed like quite a hassle over all. But maybe it's a way to satify both sides of my brain this time around...

And right after I have just called to switch to Beach Club. Argh.

You say Disney will move your luggage for you and everything?? I mean, in reality, how much of a pain is moving, outside of having to pack all your stuff up mid-trip?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Buried20KLeague said:
You hate me, don't you. You just had to make this difficult for me again. :lookaroun

:lol:

That's actually not too bad an idea, to switch hotels mid-trip. I'd thought of that before, but it seemed like quite a hassle over all. But maybe it's a way to satify both sides of my brain this time around...

And right after I have just called to switch to Beach Club. Argh.

You say Disney will move your luggage for you and everything?? I mean, in reality, how much of a pain is moving, outside of having to pack all your stuff up mid-trip?
Not a pain at all. Call the front desk. Tell them which resort you are switching to they will send the bell hop to get your luggage. You can head off to the parks and then check into your new resort at the end of the day. They will send you and your luggage to your new room.

The only snag you could possibly run into is if you need to get into your stuff mid day. If that happens you might have to make a phone call or two to find your bags.

Upvote 0

brich

From CB to AKL to Poly with 2 kids wasn't to bad. I think just one move will be very easy. We rented a minivan so we just took all our luggage with us so we would have it. The Poly checked us in early so it really was worth it so we could enjoy a couple of resorts in one trip. Couldn't have been to much trouble, we're doing it again...:D
It will impact the day seeing as you do have to pack up and check out and then check in to the next place but it's the perfect chance to relax at the new resort and enjoy it. Or, you still can go to a park for a while...

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Just as a follow up...

I decided to take the suggestion and look into staying at both resorts during our trip...

Well, when you're going on the free dining plan, it's basically not possible.

To get free dining, you have to have park tickets with the meal plan on EACH hotel reservation. With the new ticket pricing structure, the 7th 8th and 9th days of the park tickets cost next to nothing. But when you have to buy a 5 day (for the first resort) and a 4 day (for the second), it costs a TON more. Obviously because you're not getting the benefit of the low cost on the 7th 8th and 9th day of your tickets.

Then I thought the smartest way might be to do 8-day tickets with one resort reservation, and then just a 1 day for the other. Even still, there was an additional cost of $600...

So basically, it would cost me $600 more to split between two resorts because to get the free dining, park tickets with meal plan HAS to be included with each reservation.

So I'm back to picking one, unless anyone here has a suggestion of a work around that I hadn't thought of...

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Buried20KLeague said:
So I'm back to picking one, unless anyone here has a suggestion of a work around that I hadn't thought of...
Check your PM's. The name of a person that might have a solution for you is there.

Upvote 0

isitingood

AKL Vs Beach Club

I have stayed at both and if you don't have a savannah room at the AKL it's not worth it. I would stay at the Beach Club unless you can change to a savannah room.:)

Upvote 0

justducky78

Beach Club ---

It has a much better location and although it's neat to see the animals from the resort/room, there is just so much more to do at the BC. There are so many things within walking distance (Epcot, MGM, boardwalk, different hotels, etc).

We always have a car, too, but it's great to have the option to walk or boat instead. AKL is beautiful but I think the location is a major downside.

Upvote 0
Like you said, THe convieniencs at beach Club is unbeatable. THe hotel is great and therte is so much close by. The good thing about AKL is it is a nice resort with lots to look at. But like you said, the animals are so far away, and you do get tired of looking at them. as for the experience, THe Beach CLub has an excellent pool and night life right at your fron door. THe one big problem with animal kingdom is that you are so far away from all the other parks. Even AK is not a short distance away with kids. You would still have to take the bus. As for Beach CLub, Epcot is right around the corner and a short boat ride away brings you to MGM studios. It's up to you but the AKL is more expensive with only a few thrills and no more covienient than other resorts.

Upvote 0

ktink

Buried20KLeague said:
Just as a follow up...

I decided to take the suggestion and look into staying at both resorts during our trip...

Well, when you're going on the free dining plan, it's basically not possible.

To get free dining, you have to have park tickets with the meal plan on EACH hotel reservation. With the new ticket pricing structure, the 7th 8th and 9th days of the park tickets cost next to nothing. But when you have to buy a 5 day (for the first resort) and a 4 day (for the second), it costs a TON more. Obviously because you're not getting the benefit of the low cost on the 7th 8th and 9th day of your tickets.

Then I thought the smartest way might be to do 8-day tickets with one resort reservation, and then just a 1 day for the other. Even still, there was an additional cost of $600...

So basically, it would cost me $600 more to split between two resorts because to get the free dining, park tickets with meal plan HAS to be included with each reservation.

We were in the same boat as you. We wanted to stay at AKL and I've been toying w/ BC and looked into a split stay.:eek: Needless to say we made the decision to stay at only one resort and thought the dds ages 5 & 10 would enjoy AKL better.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I would recommend the Beach Club of the two. I prefer the access to the back gate of EPCOT And the location. I liked the AKL resort but the room was kind of cramped to me, even more so than the Moderates. I did have a pool view as well and I ended up having a great view of a tree!!!!!! You could kind of see the pool through the leaves but it wasnt the view I thought I would have had. Belle

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
ktink said:
We were in the same boat as you. We wanted to stay at AKL and I've been toying w/ BC and looked into a split stay.:eek: Needless to say we made the decision to stay at only one resort and thought the dds ages 5 & 10 would enjoy AKL better.

You're going with AKL, we're going with BC... Maybe we should meet up afterward and compare notes. :p :wave:

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
I would recommend the Beach Club of the two. I prefer the access to the back gate of EPCOT And the location. I liked the AKL resort but the room was kind of cramped to me, even more so than the Moderates. I did have a pool view as well and I ended up having a great view of a tree!!!!!! You could kind of see the pool through the leaves but it wasnt the view I thought I would have had. Belle

Thanks, Belle. I wondered why I hadn't heard anything from you yet! :wave:

I decided on the Beach Club. Too many positives to ignore, I believe.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Buried20KLeague said:
Thanks, Belle. I wondered why I hadn't heard anything from you yet! :wave:

I decided on the Beach Club. Too many positives to ignore, I believe.
Sorry about that, been a little busy so I dont get to answer too many posts randomly. Although please feel free to PM Me with a link if you do want me to look at something, that usually works pretty well!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom