Helicopters Flying Around

wdwmanager

also,
Disney does distrubute to the management, paperwork that tell when and where aircraft are going to be flying on property. If a manager sees an aircraft on property, and calls it in, Disney will check it out. Luckly for most people, Disney doesnt have time to watch the skys.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

zonguy

Re: Church Street Station is Closed?

Originally posted by DisneyHoneymoon
someone at work said it made a nice break from Disney to go to Church Street Station. They are no longer there?

If I recall the articles correctly, the entire place is being re-developed. I check for a website (http://churchstreetstation.com/main.html) but it was not much help at the moment. I called Rosie O'Gradys old phone number and it is disconnected.

I may be wrong, but I think the developers are planning a hip-hop club environment... but I could be wrong....

alee4eva

If the airspace were restricted would they have had to limit the TOT's height?? Or would they still have had to put the warning lights on the top of the building?

TURKEY

Originally posted by alee4eva
If the airspace were restricted would they have had to limit the TOT's height?? Or would they still have had to put the warning lights on the top of the building?

I think so. I think ALL buildings over a certain height have to have the lights on the top, but I'm not sure.

dmspilot00

Disney NOT Restricted Airspace

WDW does not have restricted airspace over it, or any other kind of special-use airspace for that matter. The government is the only entity that can designate a restricted airspace, which is normally established to protect either the aircraft from dangerous activity or to protect the area from aircraft. Someone can't just decide to restrict aircraft above their property on their own free will.

Minimum altitude over congested areas and over open-air assemblies of people is 1000 feet above the highest obstacle within a 2000 foot radius.

Orlando's Class B airspace is not really a factor. Aircraft can enter it as long as they get a clearance.

P.S. When I was there way back in 1996, there were plenty of helicopters. So I doubt it has anything to do with Security or September 11th.

Legacy

Yeah, it's all buildings over 200 feet... that is why ToT is only 199 feet. They could have made it taller, but then they would have had to put the warning lights on it... and I'm sorry, that would REALLY distract from the theming of the ride.

joho0

All buildings 200 feet or more in height from the ground (not sea level) must have blinking red lights on them. That's the exact reason TOT is only 199 feet tall. The imagineers didn't want blinking red lights ruining their spooky effect.

Also, Disney's airspace is not restricted except over Animal Kingdom and only by height there. Anyone with a valid pilot's license can fly over WDW. If you don't believe me, check out these cool sites:

http://members.tripod.com/~GLBsCoasterZone/themepks.html

or

http://members.tripod.com/~GLBsCoasterZone/hotels.html

or

http://www.themeparks.com/wdwlibrary/aerial/default.htm
(actually these photos are from disney so they don't apply to what I was saying above, but they're so cool, I included them anyways.)

Timekeeper

Red Light District

Originally posted by Kicker
Yeah, it's all buildings over 200 feet... that is why ToT is only 199 feet. They could have made it taller, but then they would have had to put the warning lights on it... and I'm sorry, that would REALLY distract from the theming of the ride.

Isn't the FAA rule that the "red light" must be visible from an aircraft, but not necessarily the ground? In other words, couldn't imagineers have gone ahead with placing the red light there so that it is visible from the sky, but not the ground? I would think that most high rises don't allow an onlooker to see the top of the building (and aviation light) from the ground level.

Speaking of the ToT, there appears to be plenty of space (a good 3 floors) between the top set of elevator doors and the top of the building. Why not build the shaft so that it takes full advantage of the building's height?

Tk

TURKEY

Re: Red Light District

Originally posted by Timekeeper

Isn't the FAA rule that the "red light" must be visible from an aircraft, but not necessarily the ground? In other words, couldn't imagineers have gone ahead with placing the red light there so that it is visible from the sky, but not the ground? I would think that most high rises don't allow an onlooker to see the top of the building (and aviation light) from the ground level.

The light has to be bright. It would be easily seen from the ground especially at 200 ft. There isn't much need in having the tower taller than it is anyway.

The light has to be out in the open. Not enclosed so that only planes above the building can see, but also those that might be flying at an altitude low enough to hit it.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by alee4eva

nope.. ToT is 199 ft tall.. if it hit 200 it'd need them

BradleyJ

Re: Red Light District

Originally posted by Timekeeper

Speaking of the ToT, there appears to be plenty of space (a good 3 floors) between the top set of elevator doors and the top of the building. Why not build the shaft so that it takes full advantage of the building's height?

Tk

Because the floors above the height of the elevator shafts hold all of the motors and mechanics that run the ride.

There is plenty of stuff in the top few floors.

Timekeeper

Motor Rooms

Originally posted by BradleyJ

Because the floors above the height of the elevator shafts hold all of the motors and mechanics that run the ride.

There is plenty of stuff in the top few floors.

Thanks for reminding me. This raises an interesting memory:

I have the Disney Channel, and one of my favorite shows was Disney Inside Out. Cheesy host, but plenty of eye candy for all those behind-the-scenes addicts. In one episode they actually showed the inside of the mechanical room at the top of the ToT elevator shaft(s). They also showed the large "engine" that "spins" the cable at high speeds, thus raising and lowering the elevator. This engine was turned on and running during this sneak peek tour. I'm pretty sure I still have this episode on tape somewhere.

Anyway, while the camera(man) was walking down the hall and into the engine room, the "floor" level of the room was painted on the door/wall. I specifically remember this because the drop was supposed to be '13 stories,' and the engine room, which is actually above the maximum height of the drop, was below the number 13. This raises a neat trivia question for those ToT know-it-all's: what floor level is the engine room located at?

Speaking of ToT tapes, I also have the local news broadcast about the "accident" that occurred in the tower - when the inner wall in the shaft broke loose during operation. My favorite ToT TV spot is the special that was hosted by the oldest brother from Growing Pains. It was great seeing all that original concept art.

Tk

DisneyHoneymoon

disappointed in TOT

I felt the TOT was all hype and no substance. My companions all chickened out so I went on the ride alone. I expected a HUGE drop down - not three small "burps" which I felt were mediocre.

Has this ride changed from its inception to go from "huge long free fall drop" to these mini little baby drops?

leeocean

According to a CM at the ToT, the ToT has 13 different drop sequences, some better than others...maybe you just haven't riden it enough to get the best sequence that would make the ride more enjoyable for you.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Has this ride changed from its inception to go from "huge long free fall drop" to these mini little baby drops?

Yes my original memory is one severe underpant stain inducing drop, that brought lumps to the throat. Now it just seems like a seres of gentle bounces, that after the second wear a little thin. Besides a few short bounces slow the ride down, resulting in longer Qs.
Bring back the Big Un!

WDWFREAK53

I THOUGHT SO!!!!

I remember the first time I rode ToT...It was a great thrill and I totally lost my stomach on "the big one"...Now the 3 longest drops are just one step worse than a kiddie ride...Did they LAME it down???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom