Heightened Airport Security Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyman

Just curious. Are any of you who are planning to fly down to WDW within the next few days going to cancel your entire trip in light of the new heightened security alert at all US airports? Delays at security checkpoints are already approaching 2 hours. My sons are due to fly down from NJ on Monday. I have no idea if their mother will let them come now.:(

Nemo14

My boss and his 3 kids are supposed to fly from Providence to Philly tonight. He's considering driving now.

Upvote 0

rwa2204

If you don't have to fly they suggest you do not. But if you choose not to fly because of an incredibly small risk of a terrorist attack.. Well then you are letting them win. Remember what they are. They mean to Terrorize us. Don't let them win. LIVE PEOPLE LIVE!!!

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I am flying to London Next week and Florida next month. I am not cancelling either one. I fly 1 week ofter Sept 11th and went to Disney World.

I just hope my wife does not find out about Heathrow airport. She will freak. Good thing she is away until monday and she wont be watching tv.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

This is a list that my company just sent out of items you can/can't currently bring on the planes now.

In light of what happended today I still think this is a little ridiculous. If a terrorist wants to badly enough, he is going to use anything he can to cause damage to a plane. I never understood the rule that you can take matches on a plane but not a lighter. :hammer: If you can't carry on a purse or laptop and you can't lock your suitcase and the baggage handlers know this, the dishonest ones will have a field day picking through purses. If we hadn't already booked our flights using sky miles in Oct, I would probably drive to WDW instead. How are you supposed to keep children and babies entertained on a plane if you can't bring anything on for them to play with.

Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:
Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas);
Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted;Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic;
Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases;
Contact lenses, without bottles of solution;
For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight;
Keys (but no electrical key fobs);
Every other item must be carried in customer's hold luggage.
For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered
items including laptops, mobile phones, iPods, remote controls etc can be
carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

If you don't have to fly they suggest you do not. But if you choose not to fly because of an incredibly small risk of a terrorist attack.. Well then you are letting them win. Remember what they are. They mean to Terrorize us. Don't let them win. LIVE PEOPLE LIVE!!!
Easy to say, but the reality does catch up with you. Three weeks after 9/11, DH and I were supposed to be flying to WDW for a getaway weekend. Knowing that this would probably be the safest time to go, since security was so tight, we initially decided that we wouldn't let the bad guys scare us off. However, seeing the looks on my kids' faces when we told them that we were going anyway convinced me that we had made the wrong decision, so we cancelled our trip. No regrets about that at all!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

This is a list that my company just sent out of items you can/can't currently bring on the planes now.

In light of what happended today I still think this is a little ridiculous. If a terrorist wants to badly enough, he is going to use anything he can to cause damage to a plane. I never understood the rule that you can take matches on a plane but not a lighter. :hammer: If you can't carry on a purse or laptop and you can't lock your suitcase and the baggage handlers know this, the dishonest ones will have a field day picking through purses. If we hadn't already booked our flights using sky miles in Oct, I would probably drive to WDW instead. How are you supposed to keep children and babies entertained on a plane if you can't bring anything on for them to play with.

Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:
Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted;Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic;
For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight;
Is this for all domestic flights too? They're not saying the thing about electric items here - just the liguids/gels?

Upvote 0

PrincessAimee

Frankly we don't know what could be considered a threat or not. And I am willing to do whatever the President & Homeland Security deems necessary no matter how inconvenient to ensure that I can get where I am going in one piece.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Who would seriously put their laptop in their checked luggage? Come on. And you can't have your medicine if it's liquid? What about insulin? It's better to die, then? If this is what the world is coming to with airplanes, I'm going to cancel my trip to Disneyland in November.

Upvote 0

Polyman

Original Poster

From what i have been reading this morning, the ban on laptops, mobile phones, iPods, remote controls, etc is only on flights to/from Europe. For travel within the US the only things they are banning are liqiuds, gels, pastes, etc.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Who would seriously put their laptop in their checked luggage? Come on. And you can't have your medicine if it's liquid? What about insulin? It's better to die, then? If this is what the world is coming to with airplanes, I'm going to cancel my trip to Disneyland in November.

My wife travels during the week, and does alot of her work in between flights on her laptop in the Crown Room. Now she can't even take it through security.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

From what i have been reading this morning, the ban on laptops, mobile phones, iPods, remote controls, etc is only on flights to/from Europe. For travel within the US the only things they are banning are liqiuds, gels, pastes, etc.

That's good I guess, hopefully that list won't make it over here.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm
I just found this page on the TSA website.

Insulin is allowed, thank god!! Breast milk and formula for babies, great. How come only little kids get juice though? I don't get it. Adults and kids must have different kinds of juice.

I bring all sorts of stuff carry-on on the plane with me. Including my laptop, iPod, digital camera, camcorder, etc. Not to mention the myriad of other things I find essential to have on the plane.

When are they going to start banning clothes from the airplane? I'm all about making sure we're safe, but when is enough enough? Anything can be a weapon and anything can hold explosives. I don't feel any safer knowing that no one brought their suntan lotion on board.

Upvote 0

TAC

Frankly we don't know what could be considered a threat or not. And I am willing to do whatever the President & Homeland Security deems necessary no matter how inconvenient to ensure that I can get where I am going in one piece.

Would that include a strip search and body cavity search ?

Upvote 0

PrincessAimee

Both my husband and I have already been delayed for flights each time we have flown for the last 2 years for various reasons and no it's not pleasant or convenient, and even embarrassing but again, it's helping to ensure safety, and in the end that's what it's about.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

I travel very often, and I have to say that I don't feel real safe with the TSA agents that I see on a daily basis. These are the same clowns who goofed off in high school, and now they are wearing polyester pants that are 2 sizes too small and in charge of my security when getting on an airplane.
(This is just a generalization, so if you work for the TSA or know someone who does, I'm sure that they are well qualified and outstanding at what they do) Flame on!

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Not to mention the myriad of other things I find essential to have on the plane.

I think its come to the point in time where we all need to reevaluate what is truely essential. I for one would rather be slightly inconvenienced than blown up over the ocean.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom