Heightened Airport Security Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyman

Just curious. Are any of you who are planning to fly down to WDW within the next few days going to cancel your entire trip in light of the new heightened security alert at all US airports? Delays at security checkpoints are already approaching 2 hours. My sons are due to fly down from NJ on Monday. I have no idea if their mother will let them come now.:(

TAC

Both my husband and I have already been delayed for flights each time we have flown for the last 2 years for various reasons and no it's not pleasant or convenient, and even embarrassing but again, it's helping to ensure safety, and in the end that's what it's about.

So, you trust the TSA then? I can cite numerous examples of TSA stupidty, all in the name of "security," and not common sense. When security is entrusted to the lowest common denominator, and the "rules" are enforced without common sense, I fear for our "security."

And you never answered my question.

Upvote 0

rwa2204

Everyone seems to forget what happens everytime we have a security scare. After a few weeks I'm sure they will remove the restrictions. However here is info from American Airlines.

Travel Policy For UK Carry-On Bagggage
Effective immediately all cabin baggage must be processed as checked baggage and carried in the hold of all passenger aircraft departing from or connecting through airports in the United Kingdom (UK). This policy also applies to any aircraft departing the United States traveling to the UK.

Please people before you get all bent out of shape about travel restrictions have the current info. Only in the UK can you NOT have carry on bagage. In the US you can't have Liquids. Thats all.

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

This is ridiculous, how is not being allowed to bring a paperback book going to protect anyone? What do they expect people to do on trans-oceanic flights now? Sit there and stare at the back of the seat in front of them? I think the whole point of "Homeland Security" is just to a) make us feel like we're safe, and b) remove our rights to privacy in the name of "stopping terrorism". I don't think they actually do anything usefull.

So we can't take liquids, creams, or gels in carry-on now on domestic flights now. Very irritating, i was planning on packing my toothepaste, suntan lotion, etc in my bag in case DME was late in getting my bag to the hotel.

Upvote 0
Both my husband and I have already been delayed for flights each time we have flown for the last 2 years for various reasons and no it's not pleasant or convenient, and even embarrassing but again, it's helping to ensure safety, and in the end that's what it's about.
Thank you for making sense. This is serious stuff. I've been reading posts about how people are inconvenienced by not having their laptops or toys for the kiddies. This is the kind of attitude that got us hit in 2001.
Anything can be put into a bottle of suntan lotion. A lighter contains lighter fluid. Think about what could get on a plane in a bottle of liquid, inside a laptop, or tube of "gel" toothpaste.

I remember the first flight we took after 9-11. Even though it was almost a year after the attack, we were really nervous. The line at Orlando airport was very long and one business person seemed quite put out that he had to endure this delay. I wanted to yank his butt up to NYC and show him Ground Zero to remind him why this was happening.

We don't live in a Disney world. We just visit. The real world is right outside and waiting for us.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

I agree, but I think you have to draw the line somewhere. If you ban everything, a terrorist is still going to find a way to hurt someone. I mean, a couple of years ago a guy had a bomb in his shoe, now we all have to take off our shoes when going through security. No one would have though that before that, that someone would try to put a bomb in their shoe. With so many airlines struggling since Sept. 11th, if you continue to disallow items such as laptops, and cellphones etc., more and more people will consider not flying and then all the airlines will go out of business.

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

ConstanceIrene? How many terrorist attacks have been prevented by airport security? (1? that idiot with the shoe?)
How many have been stopped by the international intelligence community? (they've reported quite a few now, today's being the latest, but i guarentee there's been more than they've let us know)

Upvote 0
Would you rather be allowed anything you want on board? You don't know the agenda of the person sitting next to you. I'm sure not willing to put myself at risk so more people will fly with their toys and the airlines won't lose money.

I don't mind taking off my shoes. I don't mind the x-ray search of my bags. When the plane lands safely and my vacation starts, I'll have fun. I'll deal with whatever safety precautions are necessary to get me there in one piece.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

ConstanceIrene said:
I've been reading posts about how people are inconvenienced by not having their laptops or toys for the kiddies. This is the kind of attitude that got us hit in 2001.

Excuse me? Are you suggesting that Sept. 11 is OUR fault? Last time I checked, it was a foreign terrorist group that flew planes into the World Trade Centers, not some American citizens who brought their laptop or toys for their kids onto the plane.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Would you rather be allowed anything you want on board? You don't know the agenda of the person sitting next to you. I'm sure not willing to put myself at risk so more people will fly with their toys and the airlines won't lose money.

I don't mind taking off my shoes. I don't mind the x-ray search of my bags. When the plane lands safely and my vacation starts, I'll have fun. I'll deal with whatever safety precautions are necessary to get me there in one piece.
Totally agree!
It was a little maddening to see them confiscate my 86 year old mother's 2-inch folding scissors though...

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Excuse me? Are you suggesting that Sept. 11 is OUR fault? Last time I checked, it was a foreign terrorist group that flew planes into the World Trade Centers, not some American citizens who brought their laptop or toys for their kids onto the plane.

It was kid's coloring books and crayons that were at fault.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Those foreign terrorists flew out of American airports (Boston)

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Do you truly believe you are safer when people can't bring lotion onto the plane? Really? That makes you feel safe?

The fact of the matter is that if people want to blow up a plane, they're going to blow it up, one way or another, eventually. And a big long list of carry-on no-no's isn't going to fix anything.

Upvote 0
Do you truly believe you are safer when people can't bring lotion onto the plane? Really? That makes you feel safe?

The fact of the matter is that if people want to blow up a plane, they're going to blow it up, one way or another, eventually. And a big long list of carry-on no-no's isn't going to fix anything.

Nothing is going to make me feel safe on a plane. It is my opinion, however, that whatever we have to do to make it harder for those who wish to harm us is a good idea.

I just don't mind being inconvenienced or even uncomfortable for a couple of hours to get to my destination.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ok, since i'm supposed to be a first time flyer in just over a week - i'm bummed out :(

We were only going to have carry-ons to avoid any delays or the chance of losing our baggage since we have a transfer. We're going from FL to CA.

I have to travel with a liquid injectable medication, i'm supposed to keep it on me at all times.

*sigh* So - any links where i can get the full run down of how many changes of plans i'll need to make or calls i'll need to make for like authorization or to make sure i have the right Dr's notes and such?

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

I have on good authority that on September 18th, a cartload of snakes will be released on a plane as it flies over the Pacific from Hawaii to L.A.

Upvote 0

Erika

ConstanceIrene? How many terrorist attacks have been prevented by airport security? (1? that idiot with the shoe?)
How many have been stopped by the international intelligence community? (they've reported quite a few now, today's being the latest, but i guarentee there's been more than they've let us know)

Same goes for airport security, according to what I've been told by employees.

Wasn't there a similar plot in the works pre-9/11 for flights over the Pacific?:confused:

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you ban everything from being taken onto a plane, a terrorist is going to still find a way to hurt someone. Terrorist groups are probably one step ahead of us devising new ways to smuggle things onto planes, predicting which items we will start banning next. I have no problem with being inconvenienced for security reasons, and deal with it every week I fly, but what I'm saying is that banning someone from bringing on a newspaper that will go through an X-Ray machine to begin with at the gate is a little over the top.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom