Heat and humidity tips

dontknow

We are very used to humidity.

Some of our strategies...
  • If possible, water is your friend. Lots of it. Drink even when you're not thirsty.
  • Lightweight / breathable clothing - including hats
  • Afternoon downpours are almost a daily event so prepare for it.
  • Having an umbrella is also handy for blocking the sun if necessary if you are just standing around with no shade.
  • Go into the parks early - go back to the hotel/resort midday - go back around 5 pm
  • Leave the alcohol for later in the evening.
  • Tempers can run short in that type of heat and crowd - so leave some flexibility into the plans.
  • Gift shops and other indoor attractions help to alleviate temporary heat.
  • Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen
Ymmv...

Janir

Someone mentioned Gatorade because of the loss of electrolytes from sweating. I urge you to be very careful with sweet drinks, candy, soda pop etc. 9 times out of ten when people get sick to their stomach on the bus it's from consuming surgery snacks in the Florida heat. Also coffee will dehydrate you.
If you really need electrolytes but not the sugar, try some V8s. The low sodium V8 is the best V8, still have some salts in there but also get some potassium which is what you will also be dropping lower form sweating out.
Used to do motorcycle track days and 90-100 F day in full leather isn't fun. 20 min on track 40 min off track all day long. The rule was to be drinking enough to pee once an hour, and drink to replenish electrolytes. But drinking sugary Gatorade wasn't always the best way to get that back as you weren't burning up the glucose nearly as much as a full day athlete would be for game day. Just needed a bit of sugars, and the electrolytes, which it had plenty of, and being a drink, you metabolized it pretty quickly. If my eyes would get blurry and my brain started to fade off, I'd down a small can of low sodium V8 and 15-20 minutes I was ready to go.

Driver

If you really need electrolytes but not the sugar, try some V8s. The low sodium V8 is the best V8, still have some salts in there but also get some potassium which is what you will also be dropping lower form sweating out.
Used to do motorcycle track days and 90-100 F day in full leather isn't fun. 20 min on track 40 min off track all day long. The rule was to be drinking enough to pee once an hour, and drink to replenish electrolytes. But drinking sugary Gatorade wasn't always the best way to get that back as you weren't burning up the glucose nearly as much as a full day athlete would be for game day. Just needed a bit of sugars, and the electrolytes, which it had plenty of, and being a drink, you metabolized it pretty quickly. If my eyes would get blurry and my brain started to fade off, I'd down a small can of low sodium V8 and 15-20 minutes I was ready to go.
I agree I'm a low sodium V8 fan myself for all the same reasons 👍

jloucks

Anyone care to share their tips for beating the heat and humidity in Florida? I see that it has already been surface of the sun hot, so I'm hoping we all have tips to share! I'm going in July, so I'm looking for some great ideas on how to stay cool-ish and feeling fresh-ish.

Besides drinking lots of water and using sunscreen, what tips do you have?
Well, I mean, I just don't go in the summer. No way. Crowds and heat? Nope nope nope.

But, if you have to go, I cannot recommend these enough!

16CMBASCHNRBNKCCHAOA_Fossil

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...V5v_jBx10LgLwEAQYByABEgKAc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are ridiculous looking, and expensive, but worth every dime. You can get the flap wet and it acts as a sort of heat radiator.

Disney.Mike

Honestly the best thing you can do is just acclimate yourself to the heat. If you live in the colder and/or dryer climate the humid Orlando summer is going to put a whooping on you.
My family tolerates the heat well because we live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, so we have the same climate as Orlando, but my friends who are from other areas have to ensure they are well hydrated and take breaks in the hot part of the day.

wdw2011por

Have read lots of talk about water and electrolytes and sugary sports drinks here. If you need electrolytes and don’t wanna do the sports drinks, check out Nuun. It’s a flavored tablet you throw in your water, giving you the electrolytes your body needs without all that unnecessary sugar.

Heppenheimer

Well, I mean, I just don't go in the summer. No way. Crowds and heat? Nope nope nope.

But, if you have to go, I cannot recommend these enough!

16CMBASCHNRBNKCCHAOA_Fossil

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...V5v_jBx10LgLwEAQYByABEgKAc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are ridiculous looking, and expensive, but worth every dime. You can get the flap wet and it acts as a sort of heat radiator.
Looks like the hat Brick's girlfriend always wore on The Middle.

RE: Gatorade. It's a phenomenal product for athletes to rehydrate and quickly restock the muscle glucose that they have depleted. And it's completely unnecessary for almost everyone else, including Disney World guests. Unless you have significant kidney disease or insist on running between every attraction, or wearing ridiculously hot clothing, you simply aren't sweating fast enough that you would lose minerals faster than your kidney can reabsorb them. Your water deficit is more important to refill.

MattFrees71

Many will be putting much of your all's tips to good use soon. Gearing up for some serious heat in Orlando into next week. I live here and it is already baking hot. The sun seems almost unusually intense. Looks like the peak temps will occur without the help of many clouds with rain coming back into the forecast a few days later. I look forward to the return of clouds and rain to offset this inferno.

Last edited:

RHCP Mickey

Take a nice extended late lunch break somewhere, on property or off. A two-hour break in the A/C, during the hottest part of the day, can do a lot to recharge your batteries and get you ready for a long, sunny afternoon at the parks.

Janir

Honestly the best thing you can do is just acclimate yourself to the heat. If you live in the colder and/or dryer climate the humid Orlando summer is going to put a whooping on you.
My family tolerates the heat well because we live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, so we have the same climate as Orlando, but my friends who are from other areas have to ensure they are well hydrated and take breaks in the hot part of the day.
Ultimately this is really what you wind up doing. I HATE humid hot weather at home, and definitely in Florida, but I acclimated and just dealt with it and found being in shorts and tee's all day and just enjoying the parks was a lot better than similar humidity and temps in the middle of summer back home. Maybe because I'm in vacation mode and in shorts and tee shirts and not in work clothing most of the day.
The best 'advice' for dealing with the Florida weather? Do as many mitigations as you can that people listed here and just enjoy your time in the World. If ya sweat, ya sweat.

DisneyMann

Hydration, as most have said, is huge. A few other things however that we found make an absolute enormous difference.

1) Dri-fit shirts.......wear this only. This is such a game changer in the heat for us (adults and children). Bonus is that it dries faster door comfort after Splash and Kali...lol. I've worn black and am still comfortable. I play tennis and it's all I wear for that too. The Nike outlets/factory store have them at decent cost and many times on clearance racks. A million times better than cotton regardless of the color.

2) Gatorade energy chews. We've used these on multiple trips. You can but the sleeves of 5 at Walmart for $1. Easy to carry...small and light.

3) Propel packets for water. No sugar, has salt and electrolytes and in colorless. Again.....small and lightweight so makes it easy to carry a lot. Under $3 for 10 in a box.

HouCuseChickie

At this point, I don't know if you're going to go through 5 pages of suggestions, but for what it's worth...

1. When it's cold, people bundle up with heavy socks, hats, and gloves since those are areas where you lose body heat. You want to do the opposite for warm conditions. I know some people will argue that the hat will protect your head from the sun and socks/sneakers may be best for lots of walking, but I find that wearing walking sandals and piling my hair on top of my head keeps me much cooler.

2. People love their misting fans, but if it's a humid day, this can sometimes make you feel even more muggy and make it harder for your body to adjust to the outside conditions.

3. I don't know where you are and what temp you consider surface of the sun hot, but if you can get yourself outside on a decent length daily walk in the warmest weather where you live, you can start conditioning your body to function better in warmer temps. Not quite the same, but even getting yourself into a sauna at a gym can help prepare you if your home conditions aren't warm enough.

4. I know we all have different definitions of hot, but don't let your worries over it make you even hotter. A lot of people find their body temps rise over fear and anxiety. Heck, back in my school days, my temp would go up by nearly 2 degrees if I was getting picked on and overanxious about it. A calm...it'll be fine...approach can help keep you cooler.

5. I don't think sunglasses get enough attention. If my eyes feel fried, the rest of me does as well. So, make sure you're wearing sunglasses.

I'm sure the rest (hydration, proper clothing, mornings and evenings w/midday breaks, take breaks, pop into a store with a/c, etc.) have all been repeated any number of times.

thomas998

Hats. There’s a reason everyone where’s hats when working outside in tropical and desert climates
Also wearing light colors helps. For the love of god don't wear anything black, you'll pay for it dearly. My normal clothing for fighting summer hear in Florida is a white thin linen long sleeve shirt and shorts. The long sleeves might seem odd but because my arms are pretty brown it keeps me cooler than if I wore short sleeves if it is sunny outside. ... The real thing to remember about clothes is make sure they are the right weave and fabric. Even though some cotton shirts wick perspiration away quick well, others don't. You can also get some more high tech type shirts from outdoor camping stores that are designed with mesh openings designed in them so they still keep the sun off you but also allow any breeze to help cool you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom