Heat and humidity tips

stevejhall2003

Anyone care to share their tips for beating the heat and humidity in Florida? I see that it has already been surface of the sun hot, so I'm hoping we all have tips to share! I'm going in July, so I'm looking for some great ideas on how to stay cool-ish and feeling fresh-ish.

Besides drinking lots of water and using sunscreen, what tips do you have?
We're from California and have been to WDW 28 trips of a week at a time and found out that wearing runners shoes, socks, shorts and tops works best because they breath and allow the sweat to leave your body. Lot's of sunscreen too and keep yourself hydrated.

amykay9377

Anyone care to share their tips for beating the heat and humidity in Florida? I see that it has already been surface of the sun hot, so I'm hoping we all have tips to share! I'm going in July, so I'm looking for some great ideas on how to stay cool-ish and feeling fresh-ish.

Besides just water, I would suggest bringing (or buying) Gatorade or the like. You will be sweating. A lot. No matter what other tips you do, you're going to be sweating. I swear by PowerAde. I'll drink one in the a.m. before I go to a park, and I'll definitely drink one at the resort when I return from the park. If you're bringing a bag that you can carry more, do so, and drink one mid-day.

And speaking of sweating, PLEASE wear a super-tough deodorant :)

We start off the day filing our water bottles to the brim with ice. I add mio to help cut the water taste. Then I have 1 bottle just filled with ice that melts over time to leave me just cold ice water.
...Slather on the sunscreen and redo it as needed.
Wear a good hat and take clothes that are made of lighter fabric and colors.
Take time to wander in the stores or the attractions that have a/c.

Great tips! OP, if you can find a water bottle that keeps beverages cold for a long time (rather than just an 88c bottle from Walmart, for instance), that will help a lot. I use a large 24oz Polar water bottle and freeze it full of water the night before (if I can), then let it melt as I tour the park. I drink what melted, and either let it melt more, or fill with water... I can get through 1/2 to 3/4 of my day with ice still in the bottle. Top it off with ice water (and more ice from counter service restaurant's free water cups) to get through the whole day.

It also helps to walk into any air conditioned store you pass.
Last, when you here move slow. Watch people who have lived their whole lives in hot climates. They don’t move fast unless they have too.

Take advantage of AC! Many stores are connected internally, even if it doesn't look that way from the exterior, so instead of walking up Main Street, walk through the Emporium. Walk through MouseGears. Even just go inside for a few minutes for a break.

And this poster is correct - we move a LOT slower when it gets hot! Everyone vastly underestimates how much the heat and humidity will kick your butt. Walk slower, enjoy the scenery. You aren't going to miss anything by going slower, and you'll enjoy yourselves a lot more if you aren't miserable.

The temps rarely get that high. The biggest two factors are the humidity (not too much to be done about that) and the angle of the sun (blistering vs higher latitudes).
One of the biggest factors is that many people (including myself) aren't accustomed to walking 10+ miles per day in any weather. ...exercising and getting in shape before your trip will help far more than anything else, IMO.

It's always a joke, but it IS the humidity that makes it worse. When you sweat in 50% humidity, the sweat can evaporate on your skin, which is what cools you down. When you sweat in 95% humidity, the sweat can't evaporate into the air - because the air is as saturated as your skin - so your body will not cool down, and you can overheat very quickly.

As for getting in better shape? I 1000% agree with that. I was 239+ pounds when I first started doing Disney as a grown up, out of shape, and a recent ex-smoker, and I WAS MISERABLE! Now, I'm in much better shape (I run half-marathons) and I can go all day and not hate life.

Like others have said, drink plenty of water (they give ice water for free at quick service locations), wear a hat to shied your face, use sunscreen, wear light and lose fitting clothing. Shoes that have airflow, soft socks that help wick away moisture.

These are all spot on!

Stay hydrated, with water or sports drinks like Powerade. Any time you can get ice water at QS, GET IT, even if you get a soda or other beverage. Drink the water first. (Heck, I get ice water for all people in my party, even if they don't want it, because then *I* can drink it!).

When wearing a hat, remember that heat escapes from your head, and can get trapped in a heavy hat with thick fabric. Wear a visor instead, or purchase a 'running' type hat, that is very thin and moisture-wicking. You'd also benefit from a lighter color hat than a darker one; dark fabrics absorb light and heat, while lighter ones reflect it.

Okay, sunscreen... I can't say this enough - DO NOT RELY ON SPRAY SUNBLOCK TO COVER YOU! I can't tell you how many tourists I've seen with zebra stripes because they spray themselves like Zorro and assume they're good to go. Use sunblock LOTION at your hotel room (slather it on before you leave so it can sink in), then use the spray as back up / touch up coverage. Florida is very close to the Equator, so you will get burned. I live here. I still get burned. That brown bottle of Hawaiian Tropic SPF 2 ain't gonna do squat. You need super-thick SPF 50 or higher! WHEN YOU GET BURNED (notice I didn't say "if") - keep your skin moist with lotion. I prefer Suave. You could also use Aloe (it doesn't work for me). By keeping it moist, you will reduce the itching and peeling. Trust me on this one... I'm a pasty white Nordic Viking girl who lives in FL.

Remember when I said to get a white hat? Same rules apply for clothes. Please don't wear denim jeans and a black shirt to Disney. Wear light tank tops and khaki shorts, or gauzy pants. You want light, breezy, breathable clothing. Spend extra on socks that wick moisture (running socks), rather than the jumbo 48pack of socks from Walmart. Wear thinner sneakers that have mesh panels, rather than your leather sneakers (unless you have foot issues). If your feet are good with it, wear quality supportive flip flops (I wish I could...).

So what are my tips?

If you don't care what your hair looks like, and you're getting really overheated, dump some water on your head. I love to especially get the nape of my neck.

Also, don't crowd people. I know, I know... "fill in all available space", right? Nuh-uh. If I'm in an outside queue, I refuse to be butt-to-front with even my family... it's too freakin' hot for that. Don't shove 10 people into one row on the train. Your body needs personal space so that air can move around it.

Take the ferry instead of the monorail. Seems counter-intuitive? July is very busy. They may have 20 people in a cabin. The AC can't keep up and keep everyone cool enough. The ferry will create a breeze (go up top), and the water will help cool that breeze. I much prefer taking ferries and small resort boats any time I possibly can. The only exception is the large Friendship Boats, from Epcot to DHS. More often than not, they are jampacked, and you overheat very easily. I'd rather walk between the two than squeeze onto a full Friendship.

I've talked about drinking a lot, but seriously, DRINK. Drink before you leave your resort. Drink on the bus. Drink at breakfast. Drink at lunch. DRINK. You'll be sweating so much, you probably still won't have to pee (TMI, but I pee like once a day when I'm at Disney! I sweat it all out!)

mdcpr

Pace yourself, don't rush like you would in the weather you are used to. Drink lots of water in small sips, don't gulp it down. Limit caffeine--even iced coffee. Wear light fabrics--flowy long pants are more comfortable than cargo shorts, and even linen shirts are more comfortable than tight tank tops. Wear a heat. Also, carry a small towel, make it wet with cool water, and put on the back of your neck.

mdcpr

Best tip I can give (maybe controversial) is to be in really good shape before you go.

Lose weight if you need to, do a lot of cardio, and just be in good general health. The heat doesn’t bother you as much.
Great tip, BUT, it might not work since the trip is in July.

Janir

Cooling towels help. ( good ones advertised as cooling towels) Light clothing designed for allowing breezes thought the clothes but still can offer sun protection. Even a small umbrella can help block the sun. Plan some breaks where you are out of the sun and relaxing. Like sitting watching the Tiki room animatronic bird show, or a ride on the People Mover in Tomorrow Land. A train ride around MK is good too when the train is running. At EPCOT duck into each pavilion and get out of the sun when you can and enjoy that pavilion. Disney's Hollywood Studios, so Sunset Boulevard, the area leading and including e Tower of Terror, earlier in the day when its not so hot and save the rest of the park for hotter times as you will have more opportunities to duck into shade away from that area. Shop in the afternoons, indoors! (goes for ANY park)
Disney's Animal Kingdom, Dino area earlier in the day as there is less shade here, but also there isn't as much other than Dinosaur ride here anyway unless you plan on letting kids just play and hand in Dinotopia area. Most of the rest of AK has some shade of some sort, but not as many opportunities to duck into a building so do that when you can.
There's my 2 cents from somone who hates muggy heat with a passion.

Weather_Lady

We're from California and have been to WDW 28 trips of a week at a time and found out that wearing runners shoes, socks, shorts and tops works best because they breath and allow the sweat to leave your body. Lot's of sunscreen too and keep yourself hydrated.

Yes! In the same vein (and as I see others have mentioned), choose clothing and fabrics carefully, and keep in mind that "cool" clothing doesn't mean "tiny" clothing! The goal is to wear things in light colors (to reflect the sun, not absorb it) in fabrics that won't hold in the heat, and will wick sweat away from your skin. For this reason, you'll stay far cooler in a short-sleeved shirt and shorts or capris that are made from lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics (e.g., like most clothing made for golfing, hiking or sports) than you would in a teensy cotton-and-spandex tank top and tight cutoff denim shorts (which for some inexplicable reason seems to be the de rigueur Disney uniform for some ladies when the weather is blisteringly hot).

Ladybat

We are booked at the Caribbean Beach in June. I bought battery powered fans that hold water for misting for my 3 grandsons. The fans are small and I got them lanyards to wear around their necks that hold them. These fans have foam blades so even if they touch them they can't get hurt. They really put out some air too. I bought pretty round folding paper fans for myself and my daughters. Got them on Amazon for 14 bucks. 12 of them. They fit well folded up in our back or packs. I bought Micky Mouse base ball caps for the boys. I think thats the best I can do for dealing with the heat.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes! In the same vein (and as I see others have mentioned), choose clothing and fabrics carefully, and keep in mind that "cool" clothing doesn't mean "tiny" clothing! The goal is to wear things in light colors (to reflect the sun, not absorb it) in fabrics that won't hold in the heat, and will wick sweat away from your skin. For this reason, you'll stay far cooler in a short-sleeved shirt and shorts or capris that are made from lightweight, moisture-wicking fabrics (e.g., like most clothing made for golfing, hiking or sports) than you would in a teensy cotton-and-spandex tank top and tight cutoff denim shorts (which for some inexplicable reason seems to be the de rigueur Disney uniform for some ladies when the weather is blisteringly hot).
Agree on the style, disagree with the material. I'm much more comfortable in 100% cotton.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=391565082&cid=1049718&pcid=35158

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=392835012&cid=1053545&pcid=5226

danyoung56

Hydrate wear a hat and stop and take a break at regular intervals. If you remember as “Dave” always said “when you see a bench, stop, sit down and relax.”

Off topic, but Erin from that video is on a national commercial now for a real estate company - very cool!

Driver

Someone mentioned Gatorade because of the loss of electrolytes from sweating. I urge you to be very careful with sweet drinks, candy, soda pop etc. 9 times out of ten when people get sick to their stomach on the bus it's from consuming surgery snacks in the Florida heat. Also coffee will dehydrate you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom