Having a hard time training in the heat?

Mandyb4

Original Poster
Are you having a hard time with your training in this summer weather? I know I am. I was just wondering what are some other activities that Y'all are doing besides running outside. Sometimes it gets too hot here to run outside even when I get up real early to run. I hate using a treadmill indoors so am always looking for other options. A member of our team recently went rock wall climbing to help her upper body strength. Here is her post if you are interested!

http://fairytalesandfitness.blogspot.com/2013/06/building-upper-body-strength-by-using.html

Mr mom

I'm still waiting for summer weather, we will be lucky if the temp hits 70 here today. we have had so much rain lately I think I am going to get moldy. Our weather never gets more than about a 90 high on the really hot days and always cool at night so I never have a problem that way. Winter is when I have problems.

Texas84

I've spent most of my life in warm climates so not really. I run in the mornings before the sun comes up. What's tough is Marathon Weekend in January when you're acclimated to the cold and Orlando hits the 80's.

JillC LI

My non-running friends have always been surprised when I say that I would prefer to run in 30 degree winter weather than 80 degree summer weather. The heat can be a killer, and humidity feels like the nail in the coffin. I try to take it slow when the weather turns warm so my body has a chance to acclimate. Slower paces, more liquids, and running at an early hour are key. I don't ever give up running, but worst case scenario, I will run on the dreaded TM indoors. Rarely though. I agree it isn't pleasant though.

bethram

I normally take the summers off from running, but not this year. I'm heading out about 6am so I can be home before DH leaves for work and I'm hydrating. The humidity is what's hardest for me, but it's getting a tad easier as the weeks go by.

Sumrdog

I really like my stand up paddle board, for a whole body work out. If I go out for a few hours I will feel it in almost every muscle of my body. That's a really nice warm weather activity.

My problem is we only have warm weather about 10 weeks a year...Like @Mr mom my problem is trying to run when it's cold. I detest the treadmill but sometimes I have to use it. A few years ago I did a 17 mile run on the treadmill because it was snowing too hard to run outside...That was torture.

Zman-ks

I normally take the summers off from running, but not this year. I'm heading out about 6am so I can be home before DH leaves for work and I'm hydrating. The humidity is what's hardest for me, but it's getting a tad easier as the weeks go by.
75.gif

Yes...its the humidity that kills me more than the heat.

imagination30

the heat takes some getting use to but if you take it slow , it helps your body in bigger races... ( I have noticed.. ) , but you have to know when to psuh and when not to push!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
A few years ago I did a 17 mile run on the treadmill because it was snowing too hard to run outside...That was torture.
NO. I would have been Rocky in Rocky 4 training in Russia. No way I ever hit a treadmill.

I agree with Jill. Give me 30 anyday over what I have here in Alabama. With that said, I cant do anything about it, so might as well not let it win. We are in the season of 12 miles feeling like 20 and in 30 degree weather, 20 feels like 12. :D

With that stubbornness in mind, I have a very bad chest cold. On over the counter meds, have not stopped running and I think the humidity has made it worse. This weekend at the beach did me in. I have a Dr appointment today, and i am hoping I dont have pneumonia. Bad bad bad.

Mr mom

NO. I would have been Rocky in Rocky 4 training in Russia. No way I ever hit a treadmill.

I agree with Jill. Give me 30 anyday over what I have here in Alabama. With that said, I cant do anything about it, so might as well not let it win. We are in the season of 12 miles feeling like 20 and in 30 degree weather, 20 feels like 12. :D

With that stubbornness in mind, I have a very bad chest cold. On over the counter meds, have not stopped running and I think the humidity has made it worse. This weekend at the beach did me in. I have a Dr appointment today, and i am hoping I dont have pneumonia. Bad bad bad.

yikes, feel better soon

Sumrdog

Man I hope you feel better soon that sounds rough.
I like running in the cold too, but there are some days, when its thirty below with the windchill and the snow is driving sideways and drifting up 2-3 feet on the road when it's just unrealistic to run outside and if the training plan calls for a long run and it's my only day off, treadmill is the only alternative...it doesn't happen very often.

JillC LI

Feel better soon, Joel.
Yesterday at the time I needed to squeeze in my run, it was 90 degree and 90% humidity, and I could barely breathe outside, so I caved and did my 5 miles on the TM with the fan blowing on me. As long as I got it in one way or another.

So - newbie question sorry - I notice a lot of folks here commented on the idea of running on the treadmill being torture. Why is that? Is it just boring? Not challenging enough? Some combination of the two?

JillC LI

So - newbie question sorry - I notice a lot of folks here commented on the idea of running on the treadmill being torture. Why is that? Is it just boring? Not challenging enough? Some combination of the two?

BORING BORING BORING BORING. Time feels like it moves twice as slow when I"m on the treadmill. And I have my treadmill facing a TV so I can watch absolutely anything I want, but I still find it unbearably tedious. Running whatever distance it is outside with changes of scenery and the inability to look down at the screen every few seconds to find out Ive only gone another tenth of a mile makes runs so much more enjoyable - not to mention the fresh air, perhaps the flowers or changing leaves, or a sunset, or anything but that darn screen. That said, the only place I can do consistent speed work is on the TM because I can set it to whatever pace(s) or incline(s) I want whereas I cannot seem to do that with my internal body clock outdoors. So the TM can certainly be challenging. It's just also boring!
:)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It makes my knees hurt, it is HELL ON EARTH BORING, and I truly dont think it simulates running on real surface.

If it is all you have, then do what you gotta do, but if I have a choice, Im outside no matter what.

I live in Miami... so the heat is.. a problem!! The humidity is the worst though as I am a sweater. I've found that you need to hydrate all day if you want to run in the evening, and the later the better!! As far as the other stuff I do goes... occasional trips to the gym (no treadmill of course lol). Basically i'm dumb and tough out the heat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom