Have you stayed off site?

Britt

Where did you stay? Would you stay off site again?

We were in the Ft Wilderness Cabins last year and this year are planning on staying at my inlaws timeshare at Holiday Inn at Orange Lake. It looks gorgeous and the reviews are awesome. However, we don't get to use the dining plan, EMH, Magical Express, or get free parking. And we had to rent a car!

I think next time, we'll plan to stay on site again....or at least on of the DTD resorts!

Mukta

I stayed offsite once as a kid, but I haven't since. I love being onsite and it will be a while before I will give it up. I hope you enjoy your timeshare. I'm sure it has some great amenities that you can't get onsite.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

i personally have never, but my friends have and said it can be fun ,too. in my mind, no matter where you stay, you will make memories that will last a lifetime. Disney is Disney no matter where you stay :)

Upvote 0

lisak09

The first three times we went to Orlando we stayed on international drive. When we decided to try staying on property we booked a week on international drive followed by a week at pop. This worked out well for us and its what we've done since: )
Nothing beats staying at disney but i still love international drive too: )

Upvote 0

Skooterkid

The first three times we went to Orlando we stayed on international drive. When we decided to try staying on property we booked a week on international drive followed by a week at pop. This worked out well for us and its what we've done since: )
Nothing beats staying at disney but i still love international drive too: )

I totally agree. This year we're staying 2 weeks on I-Drive and 1 week at Port Orleans Riverside. This is the first time we're staying on property, and whilst we had the option of staying on-site for the whole 3 weeks we knew we would miss International Drive massively. We love Universal Studios and, living in London for 49 weeks of the year, the American shops and restaurants on International Drive are a big part of the vacation too.

Upvote 0

draybook

We've stayed at the Seralago(08), Best Western LBV(11), and the Motel 6 right by World Drive this year. We would stay at the first two again, but no way in Hades would we stay at the Motel 6 again. You can see my review of the Motel 6 here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._West-Kissimmee_Florida.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

While there is a difference between onsite and offsite, it's nothing that made our trip feel any less "magical". They only thing we missed was EMH. Budget allowing, we will always stay on site though, for FD and EMH.

Upvote 0

SAV

We have stayed off-site several times. We don't typically use EMH when on-site so that isn't a big deal and the only difference(sans parking) for us is less theming than at the WDW resort. We have stayed at the Residence Inn - LBV. Residence Inn - Sea World. Courtyard by Marriott at Vista Place. Sheraton Safari and years ago at the what is now Holiday Inn on Hotel Plaza Blvd. Both Residence Inn's are very nice. The Safari was nice, but didn't have a mini fridge when we stayed there. The Courtyard was nice as well, with a mini fridge and microwave.

We'll definitely stay off-site again if the pricing works out to our advantage. No doubt about it.

Upvote 0

lebeau

We have stayed off site. With a large party, a vacation home is a great deal (if you can all stand being under one roof). I would do that again in a heartbeat.

The way Disney keeps jacking up the cost of meals and rooms, I honestly wonder if this trip will be our last stay on site.

A lot of people around here act like staying off site is a horrible mistake. It's not. You can have a great WDW vacation without staying on site. It's a trade off. If you can save some money or spend it on something that is more important to you (extra days, nicer meals, etc) it can definitely be worth it to stay off site.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Where did you stay? Would you stay off site again?

We were in the Ft Wilderness Cabins last year and this year are planning on staying at my inlaws timeshare at Holiday Inn at Orange Lake. It looks gorgeous and the reviews are awesome. However, we don't get to use the dining plan, EMH, Magical Express, or get free parking. And we had to rent a car!

I think next time, we'll plan to stay on site again....or at least on of the DTD resorts!

I have, twice. For part of our honeymoon we were given a week at Marriott Grand Vista. We drove down so we had a car so I didn't see a big reason to stay on property. Until we checked into the Grand Floridian! I was so wrong! You have to stay on site! :) But the following year, we wanted to go to WDW again and couldn't afford the GF and my parents again, gave us a week of time share for our 2nd anniversary, so we went again. We flew this time and stayed again at Marriott Grand Vista again and relied on Mears transportation. I will NEVER do that again. After the price of Mears to and from and being restricted by their hours, it was not an experience I care to repeat. After that, I only stay on property. The following year, we moved closer to WDW so we could drive (only 4 hours away) and we vowed to only stay on property and have every year since. :)

Upvote 0

Mr_Incredible

As a kid we stayed at Tropical Palms (behind old town) every trip. It was a family tradition. Had a ktichen so we could make breakfast/dinner (4 kids = tight budget) but I always remember having a great time. Made driving under the gate every morning so special....I stay on-site now, but I loved staying off as a kid.

Upvote 0

Britt

Original Poster
I typically stay offsite and Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake has become my default.
THIS is where we're staying!! Im so glad to hear someone likes it :D

Is it a pain to get to the parks? I've read there are places to eat and shop nearby!!

Upvote 0

njDizFan

Staying on site definately has a special feel to it. It's just a unique immersion into all things disney...that being said I mostly stay off site. I am an owner at Sheraton vistana Villages, which is a timeshare just a few minutes down the road on International Hwy. The accomodations cannot be matched anywhere near my price range at Disney. A 2 bedroom suite with all the ammenities of home plus a full top notch resort. So the money I save allows me for a longer stay and/or more spending cash at the parks.

Also the flexibility of renting a car(albeit more out of pocket expensie) is also liberating. Being able to see Uni, SW, and all the other Orlando attractions and restaurants is a nice option.

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

THIS is where we're staying!! Im so glad to hear someone likes it :D

Is it a pain to get to the parks? I've read there are places to eat and shop nearby!!
Orange Lake and Walt Disney World share a border but the roads are not built for direct access. You can either go up the Western Beltway (toll road) and then in through Wester Way (this is where Flamingo Crossing was to go and may only be best for getting to Disney's Animal Kingdom), which cuts right through Orange Lake, or go east down US 192 and then straight up World Drive. US 192 has traffic lights, but it is still not a bad drive, maybe 15 minutes to most places except the Magic Kingdom. If you are used to dealing with the buses, I would think it would not be too much of an issue. Yes, paying to park can be a bit of a drag, but remember to keep your receipt if you are parking hopping. Once you have paid for parking for the day, they will not make you repay. Another option that I have done a couple of times where I knew I was park hopping, is to at the Magic Kingdom first thing in the morning. I then took a bus to wherever I was starting my day, knowing I would end my day at either the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT Center, which are typically open the latest.

There are places nearby, mostly chains. Orange Lake is at the western edge of where US 192 is really built up, so the development is less dense in the immediate area of Orange Lake. There is a shopping center on the west side of the Western Beltway that includes an Applebee's (I think), some other stuff I do not recall at the moment and a Publix super market. Whenever I have had a multi-bedroom unit I have always had a full kitchen, dining table and living room. I find the breakfast options at Walt Disney World to be terribly lacking, so it was nice to have something more than fast food or donuts with my traveling party before heading out each day.

Upvote 0

vzmom

We always rent a 1 bedroom suite from the Hilton Grand Vacation Club. We love it there! It's a great price and it has a full kitchen, balcony, full living room. It's also very clean. We use to stay on Disney and decided to try it once and we decided we were never staying on again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom