Have you stayed at Pop Century but wished you upgraded?

G00fyDad

My wife and I have booked into Pop Century because my wife is the type of “only time we will be spending in our room will be for sleeping”. On the surface, it has everything we need - the big attraction is the Skyliner. And we aren’t the pickiest people for hotels.

But the next moderate hotel offered through our travel wholesaler is Caribbean Beach which is like $700 more which is a lot of money.

I don’t know - I just wanted to do something nice for my wife.

When staying in Pop Century, did you wish you stayed at a better place?
Pop Century was perfectly fine for us in the past and will continue to be so in the future. We've stayed at moderates and we honestly don't see what the fuss is about. We have absolutely zero desire to stay in a deluxe so Pop Century works perfectly well for us. You're not really missing anything. If you spend most of your time at the resort then maybe I could see spending the extra money for a moderate or deluxe. Otherwise I would just stay with Pop Century. Most people love the value resorts and especially Pop Century (as well as Art of Animation). But you're gonna get the occasional person who bags on them nonstop and acts as if they are flea infested roadside motels. It's absolutely ridiculous.

NelleBelle

We've only stayed at moderates or deludes but I think my next trip that I take with my DH and 2 teen boys I am totally open to doing a stay at Pop with 2-rooms. After reading all the positive reviews here and seeing room/resort tours, I've been converted to giving it a try! I'm sure my very frugal DH will definitely approve as well 🤣

SteamboatJoe

I just booked a trip for after Thanksgiving (me + wife + toddler). We chose AoA over Pop because of the more Disney themed grounds/pools and the slightly bigger room but I am second guessing a bit. The rooms at Pop look much nicer and a preferred Pop room would not only be much closer to transit but cheaper as well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We've only stayed at moderates or deludes but I think my next trip that I take with my DH and 2 teen boys I am totally open to doing a stay at Pop with 2-rooms. After reading all the positive reviews here and seeing room/resort tours, I've been converted to giving it a try! I'm sure my very frugal DH will definitely approve as well 🤣
Make sure you ask for 'connecting' rooms and not 'adjoining rooms.'

mightynine

I just booked a trip for after Thanksgiving (me + wife + toddler). We chose AoA over Pop because of the more Disney themed grounds/pools and the slightly bigger room but I am second guessing a bit. The rooms at Pop look much nicer and a preferred Pop room would not only be much closer to transit but cheaper as well.
I'd say go for Pop. You can always walk across the bridge and check out AoA if you'd like - I've done that plenty when staying at Pop, especially if I've come back on the Skyliner, it's a quick walk.

38053WDW

I'm in the minority here so far i guess. I stayed at Pop once and won't go back. The value's just aren't for us. The rooms are to small for us.
Could give it another try but stayed away when they:
Lost our luggage (car to lobby)
Room smelled like two cans of Lysol was used (had to prop the door open to breathe)
Daughter 6 found random pill on floor before son 4 ate it..
Father and child in non water diaper disintegrating in splash pool right outside our window.

tanc

When I went to Pop in August 2020 I liked the rooms but I did not like the transportation personally. I just find the skyliner incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes I could be back in like 10 minutes but other times it would take me 30+. It was always a guessing game as to when I would get back.

They may have changed this, but at that time you literally had to use the skyliner to get to Epcot and HS, there was no other option. The only exception would be if it was storming. Which honestly at times, I would have rather a bus since it at least had AC and you wouldn't be standing in a line for like 30 minutes .

Ayla

When I went to Pop in August 2020 I liked the rooms but I did not like the transportation personally. I just find the skyliner incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes I could be back in like 10 minutes but other times it would take me 30+. It was always a guessing game as to when I would get back.

They may have changed this, but at that time you literally had to use the skyliner to get to Epcot and HS, there was no other option. The only exception would be if it was storming. Which honestly at times, I would have rather a bus since it at least had AC and you wouldn't be standing in a line for like 30 minutes .
It has not changed. Resorts on the Skyliner don't have bus service to EP or DHS unless the Skyliner is not running.

tanc

I think back then if you were planning on using the Skyliner, I would say CBR was worth it in that it is the main hub of the skyliner. Otherwise you'd have to take a ride to the main hub and then go from the hub to the park. You can't directly take the skyliner from Pop to a park. You have to get off, wait in line for the hub, and then go to a park.

But with current prices? I think Pop would still be better in price though, no way would I pay $700 more.

Raxel7851

There’s still no bus service to Epcot or HS unless the Skyliner is not operating. However as I sit in the food court enjoying my morning java, I can see the throngs of people waiting for the bus to the MK. It will be standing room only for that ride. Fortunately there’s no standing with the Skyliner.

dmw

In the Parks
No
There’s still no bus service to Epcot or HS unless the Skyliner is not operating. However as I sit in the food court enjoying my morning java, I can see the throngs of people waiting for the bus to the MK. It will be standing room only for that ride. Fortunately there’s no standing with the Skyliner.
When we stayed at POP in 2019 there was always a line for the skyliner waiting for it to open. Once it opened, the line moved very quickly. And, definitely be ready for lines returning on the skyliner, if you stay until park closing. It's still better than waiting for a bus as the line keeps moving, but you will definitely not be getting on just as you walk up.

the_rich

At the risk of sounded "elitist" when I'm really not, has anyone had trouble with bedbugs at the values versus the moderates? I have really wanted to stay at Pop Century to save money but my wife has always been worried about bedbugs. Personally, I figure that we probably stand the same chance at running into the critters at Port Orleans (favored resort) as at Pop.

Second question. Are the rooms quieter or about the same as the moderates?

I have really been tempted to stay at a value but just had a couple concerns that are probably not warranted.
Had a bedbug once and that was at Kidani. Can happen anywhere.

mf1972

i’ve heard the morning line for the skyliner can be quite long. i would think if one plans to hit the parks early, allow yourself some extra time

Raxel7851

i’ve heard the morning line for the skyliner can be quite long. i would think if one plans to hit the parks early, allow yourself some extra time
It is a little long at that time. But remember it serves 2 resorts, POP & AA. It moves rather quickly though. Also they are seating different parties in the cars now, especially at busy times.

G00fyDad

It is a little long at that time. But remember it serves 2 resorts, POP & AA. It moves rather quickly though. Also they are seating different parties in the cars now, especially at busy times.
"a little long"? 🤣 We got in line at 6:15am on both our Epcot and DHS days and we were at least 100 people back in the line. By 7:00am the line stretched waaaaaayyyyyy back to the resort buildings and dissapeared. If you don't get there at 6:00am that line is a monster.

Raxel7851

"a little long"? 🤣 We got in line at 6:15am on both our Epcot and DHS days and we were at least 100 people back in the line. By 7:00am the line stretched waaaaaayyyyyy back to the resort buildings and dissapeared. If you don't get there at 6:00am that line is a monster.
At that hour I hoped you enjoyed the sunrise!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom