Have you ever been scared to go on a Disney ride?

Samoht

When I was a kid I used to chicken out of space mountain every time after waiting in line for hours sometimes with my father and sister. It was a time where you would ride it just about every day of the vacation back then since it was before even EPCOT opened and Magic Kingdom WAS DisneyWorld.

Maglutak

Original Poster
When I was younger, the drop on Pirates scared me to where I refused to ride it.
I was also afraid of splash mountains drop as a young kid also.

On a side note, Journey to Alantis (seaworld) scared me as a 4year old to where I didn't ride until I was 12.

The Pirates drop scared me too! I remember it being so big.

ann0d

The most scariest ride I was ever on, for some reason was the ski lift at Blizzard Beach. I was shaking the whole time, and I go on anything. To me that is frightening! :shrug:

Minnie1976

When we 1st went to Disney in 1976, I wouldn't go on Space Mountain. Now I love it. I was also afraid of TOT and Rock N Roll Rollcoaster, but once I again they are now favorites. A few years back I finally opened my eyes on TOT. I am still scared of Astro Orbitor. I went on it in Dec. 2011 after decades of skipping it. It was my last time. Something about it just scares me. Also I didn't think I would be able to get out of it. All I could think of was this is going to be so embarrassing, but I finally made it without any help.

Tinkerbella16

My first trip to WDW in 1992, I was 6 years old.. We were in line for BTMR and I was looking out at the ride through the queue and started crying hysterically, I was so scared! I will never forget this little girl in front of us in line turned to me and said "Don't be afraid, its not scary, I've been on it so many times" and she was about my age. After that I calmed down and ended up loving the ride ever since. I will never forget that moment. :)

Another ride I was petrified of for so long was ToT. I would not go on, and finally I worked up the courage to get in line for it with my mom and sister. We got to the boiler room and I chickened out and a CM took me down a regular elevator to wait for my mom and sister in the basement area where they exit. I did end up going on it that trip and again, I loved the ride ever since. :D

ECU_PIRATE

Other then just ordinary nervous excitement before going on rides the only time I was truly scared to go on a ride was the rockin roller coaster. Just as we were getting to the front of the line the ride was stopped because they were having trouble keeping the harnesses locked shut. After the ride was cycled a few times without any riders the CM's working the ride were made to get in to test it out. I can't imagine what was going through their heads at the time. After it was opened back up we did end up riding riding it and loved it.

Magenta Panther

I was really leery of the Tower of Terror at first. And after I did ride it, I vowed I'd never ride it again. But of course I have...many times. It's just that cool. :cool:

My first trip to WDW in 1992, I was 6 years old.. We were in line for BTMR and I was looking out at the ride through the queue and started crying hysterically, I was so scared! I will never forget this little girl in front of us in line turned to me and said "Don't be afraid, its not scary, I've been on it so many times" and she was about my age. After that I calmed down and ended up loving the ride ever since. I will never forget that moment. :D

We took our first trip to WDW when I was 4 (nearly 5). We waited through the first part of the queue for POTC, to the point where the two lines split. It was dark, a little cool, and I spotted the Exit door. I tugged on my mom's hand, and apparently my intentions were clear. "Would you like to leave?" "YES PLEASE!" I think my dad went ahead and rode through. Anytime I was too scared, or too small, he would ride while my mom and I went on the Skyway.

When my wife and I started visiting the World, I sent my parents a picture of me in front of that door. It still gets a snicker out of me every time we pass it.

On that trip, I was too scared to ride the HM, and the submarine ride. Funny, because I make a B-line for HM the second we get in the gate now.

sweetpee_1993

When I was...oh..maybe 5 my dad & aunt took my cousin, my older brother, and me to Disney World which at that time was just the MK. Dad wanted to ride the new E-ticket: BTMRR. He didn't want to ride alone, tho. My aunt wasn't going. Dad looked at the 3 of us kids and said if someone didn't ride with him we were leaving. I was desperate. My older brother wasn't stepping up & neither was my boy cousin. I volunteered. I was veeeery skittish as a child, afraid of my own shadow. I'd cry from terror at how loud the cars were at the races. Lol! So here I was going on a runaway mine train because I desperately didn't want to leave Disney World. The crying started in the queue. The loud sounds in the first tunnel/lift pretty much sealed the deal. When the ride got going I wrapped myself around the lap bar, clenched my eyes shut, screamed with all of my might, and waited for death to come get me. I really did think that was it, that I was going to die. During the 2nd lift Dad got me to open my eyes for a moment but that wasn't a good thing. As high up as we were I thought the crash to earth was going to be where the inevitable happened. I resumed my previous freak-out position and that's where I was for the rest of the ride. Dad had to carry me out of there. I was a sloppy, sweaty, drooly mess. Dad always regretted making me go on that ride. I wouldn't ride another coaster of any kind anywhere until I was 12. By then we were living in Orlando & had seasonal passes. I always sat & watched while my family rode the thrill rides like BTMRR or SM. One day my mom & step-dad bribed me to try BTMRR again. If I rode it I'd get a pair of purple Mickey ears. Souvenirs were never on our radar those days so those ears were huuuuge. Reluctantly I squeezed into the front row behind the locomotive between my mom & younger step-sister. I loved it! I think we rode it like 4 times in a row that morning. Then I tried SM & loved it, too. Ever since then I ride anything. Do I get scared? Sometimes but that's the cool part, when you overcome the fear!

DisneyJunkie

No, I can't say I have ever been afraid to go on a ride. Honestly, unless you're a very small child, I don't see how or why anyone would be. If you stand outside any of the rides, you can watch people coming off the ride as happy as can be.....why? Because it's all fun. People keep riding and riding because they are fun. There's really no rational reason for being afraid to ride something that has been specifically designed for fun and enjoyment. Actually, the only thing I can see people having an issue with is any ride that takes a person high up in the air in a wide open car or seat (like the drop-tower type rides or some of today's hyper roller coasters) because of a fear of heights. But being afraid of something like ToT or RnRC or EE is ridiculous.

SulleyanBoo

I refuse TOT. I won't even wait in the line. It is the ONLY Disney ride I have never gone on. Yet, I love rockin roller coaster..weird I know. lol

ferbtones

On our recent trip to Studios this Easter, me and 6 year old son saw a boy of about 13 having an absolute fit in the line for Rock and Roller Coaster.

His parents were literally dragging him on to the ride, and he was hysterical. A cast member stepped in and refused to let him ride.

My six year old had already ridden twice that day and was trying to calm him down and let him know it was fine, but the poor kid was beyond reason.

On a personal note, I chickened out of Hulk and Dragons at UIofA three years ago, but this Easter I had Express pass and was determined to get my money worth so rode them. Loved Dragons soooooo much, went on twice more.

MeandMickey

I am a daredevil and not affraid to ride anything. The higher, the faster, the better!.... But, there was one time last year I was terrifed to get on ToT at the Studios. Mind you, I was not scared for myself, but for my 4 year old son who was just tall enough to ride and insisted that he must go with his daddy. We did not want him to go on just yet, but he really bugged us over and over to get on. Well, we decided to let him try his first thrill ride. My wife will not ride, and was hysterical as we entered the queue. He was so proud to go with me, but I was a wreck. I did not want to mentally scar him for life and have him never go on a thrill ride with me again. I have never held him so tightly and worried so much about anything. I was soaking wet from sweating on that first ride with him, I was that nervous. As it turned out, he loved it and we rode it three more times that day. He is 5 now and always talks about his favorite ride and when can we go back. It is always our first ride at the park.

JillC LI

A few years ago, my 7 year old DD and I were feeling left out because DH and 9 year old DS were going on all the "thrill" rides, and we were too scared. So we decided to start small and be brave. First we all got on line for BTMRR, and I was very nervous as we sat down. DS sat next to me, and did something that made my heart melt - he took my hand and said "I'll help you be brave Mommy." With encouragement like that, how could I not be brave? He held my hand the whole ride, and I actually enjoyed the ride. (So did DD sitting with DH.) The next day we decided to step things up a bit and try RnRC. The line was long and my heart was in my throat the whole time. As we were finally at the boarding area waiting to get on the next ride, I suddenly started to panic and my eyes welled with tears. DS turned to me and said, "Mommy, are you crying?" Well DD was looking at me and taking her cue on how scared to be based on my reaction, so I pulled myself together and said I was fine. Once again, DS held my hand throughout the entire ride (without me asking!), and to my amazement, I loved it.

On a trip after that I worked up the courage to try Everest, and I have to say I didn't like the drops. I am still afraid to try ToT, but if DS holds my hand on our next trip, I just might give it a try to say I've done it. However, he's a cool 13 now, not 9, so we'll have to see if he's still willing to do that for his chicken-mom!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom