Have we lost the meaning of anticipation and excitement?

fireman17

Original Poster
In 2003 my wife planned our first WDW trip our two children at the time were 4 and 2 and we had so much excitement and anticipation building prior to our trip as it was our family's first trip we didn't know what to expect once we arrived and this is the trip when I knew this is where I wanted to be and would always come back. We didn't have Youtube, Facebook or other internet options to go to prior to our trip although, I think the Disboards was just starting and we had gathered enough information that we planned a great trip.
Now here it is 2014 our family has grown to four they are 15, 12, 10 and 5 we just returned ffrom a 7 night stay but, as I look at all the videos on Youtube of the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and all the other Facebook pages and all the other internet pages that are out there to view about WDW and Disneyland it brings up a thought.
Are you so involved in the videos prior to a trip to WDW and Disneyland that we have lost all meaning of the excitement and anticipation of an upcoming Disney trip? Does the internet technology take it all away for us that we had years ago before we wnet on our great and wonderful trips and does it take away from our children especially ones that will be going on their first and maybe once in a lifetime trip?

DisneyPrincess5

As Marni said, nothing can really take it away but honestly, I think repeated exposure at home does kill it a bit. This is why DH and I were up in arms over choosing Fastpasses from home. "Wait, you're telling us we have to chose what we are going to ride on that day and that time...now?" I think these boards and other websites and the menus and the videos help to build excitement but it does take away a certain element of surprise and anticipation.

I remember as a kid reading old oooold souvenir books which showed just enough photos to interest you but keep you wanting more. I guess this feeling will come back when we visit DL one day because we don't know a ton about it!

AllydoesDisney

I agree too. Before my trip in March I watched videos of Celebrate the Magic several times. When I actually saw it in person, I had serious chills and I was in tears by the end

Kuzcotopia

On this next trip, I have reservations at Ohana and Be Our Guest for dinner, both for the first time (BOG is new, and I've never had a trip planned at 180+ to snag the Ohana ressie). Without the internets, I would have absolutely zero knowledge about these places, or why they are so coveted in the first place. Assuming I enjoy these restaurants, I have the internet to thank for it. So yeah, when it comes to WDW as a whole, I know what's on the menu. But I also know about it at all.

Without this resource, I might walk up to the Crystal Palace for lunch on 4th of July weekend, expecting to get right in . . . without a reservation. There are people who do that all the time.

bethymouse

There's so much to see and do now on a Disney vacation, it can be so very overwhelming!:eek: It's nice to be able to plan, and know what to "expect". There are so many elements of surprise once you get there!:D I guess if it's going to be a "vacation", then you also want to plan for some "down time". If you don't, then a "newbie" will easily be exhausted trying to see everything!:D

Cmdr_Crimson

It was better before the Interwebs took it's mighty hold on us..The only other way we were able to find out about anything new coming to the parks were either The Easter & Christmas Parades
Dateline Disney snippets on Disney Channel
And of course Walt Disney World Inside Out...

Now that we have tons of different sources From Facebook, Twitter, Fansites etc...The excitement is more like...
droopy.gif

AllydoesDisney

And I've never seen Fantasmic. I've seen bits and pieces on YouTube but not the whole thing. I am planning on finally seeing it during my Program and I know it will be so much better than any video I've seen of it.

jonesenon4

to me all the videos only build the excitement and anticipation for actually being there.my family and i will be arriving in 10 days for our next trip to the world.and we have watched all the travel channel shows ,planning dvd and youtube videos in preparation.we have gone to disney every year and every year we watch the videos to build the excitement.cant wait to be there in person soon the anticipation is almost unbearable.:D:):D:)

wendysue

On this next trip, I have reservations at Ohana and Be Our Guest for dinner, both for the first time (BOG is new, and I've never had a trip planned at 180+ to snag the Ohana ressie). Without the internets, I would have absolutely zero knowledge about these places, or why they are so coveted in the first place. Assuming I enjoy these restaurants, I have the internet to thank for it. So yeah, when it comes to WDW as a whole, I know what's on the menu. But I also know about it at all.

Without this resource, I might walk up to the Crystal Palace for lunch on 4th of July weekend, expecting to get right in . . . without a reservation. There are people who do that all the time.

But without internet, FP+ wouldn't exist, 6 month reservations probably wouldn't either and we wouldn't have to try to figure out what ride we MIGHT want to ride in 6 months! Then we COULD still walk up and maybe get a reservation or ride want we want when we want.... Nothing beats the spontaneous vacation

rob0519

We took our first trip in 1978, so of course there was only one park and limited options. We did not return until 1996, by which time WDW had changed drastically. By then, of course there was the internet and many books that gave us some information on what to expect, but it still did not adequately prepare us for the myriad of options even then.

Today the internet is almost a mandatory tool for a WDW vacation. You're right. Gone are the days of anticipation and excitement at discovering something new. However, with today's technology we have the ability to see what is new in advance of a visit, rather than just stumbling over it by chance. Now are the days of endless planning and hovering over the keyboard to sync up what time you're going to ride Space Mountain with your ADR at Crystal Palace.

I'm still not sure I like the idea of scheduling attractions 60 days in advance, but I do like having all the information, be it pictures, text or video available to help us get the best possible value for both our time and money.

Kuzcotopia

But without internet, FP+ wouldn't exist, 6 month reservations probably wouldn't either and we wouldn't have to try to figure out what ride we MIGHT want to ride in 6 months! Then we COULD still walk up and maybe get a reservation or ride want we want when we want.... Nothing beats the spontaneous vacation

When I first went to Dinsey in 1980, it was a single theme park, a couple hotels, and some golf courses.

Now it's four theme parks, 20+ hotels, golf courses, a plethora of dining options, and a host of amenities and things to do that are far too numerous to list here. For me, going to Disney without a plan is like being dropped at a random point in the greater New York City area with no reservations anywhere, and no entertainment planned. You don't even know where the nearest subway is, how the bus schedules work. You have no tickets to anything, have no idea where any good restaurants are, or anything.

Spontaneous yes, but do do you truly get to see the best of New York? No, prior to the internet, you get yourself a guidebook and plan on what you want to do. The only downside in 2014 is that you have the convenience of a cellphone and your access to information is free.

In contrast, when we went on vacation to Breckenridge, CO last year, we picked up some fliers and just walked around downtown and did whatever caught our eye.

WDW ain't Breckenridge.

DisneyGirl3820

It can be overkill. Two instances I can see some value in it: 1. helping visitors get "in the mood" and psyched up before a visit 2. Helps reconnect visitors when they're not at Disney.

GenerationX

Using the internet for research, such as with this site and allears.net, helps us to plan better. I skip videos and other spoilers for attractions I haven't experienced yet, though, to give the attraction the chance to dazzle me.

KCheatle

In short: Yes OP! Prior to the last trip, I used YouTube A LOT to watch ride videos. What it ended up doing was taking away from the excitement of it all once I got there. For example, when I was riding splash mountain, it felt like I was just re-living the YouTube video of the ride again - I wasn't totally in the moment. This year, I told myself that I would only watch youtube videos if my kids specifically asked to watch.

I've caught myself listening too much to the music loops too. I LOVE the music, but I don't want to burn myself out on it. So, I stopped listening to it after awhile and now don't allow myself to listen to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom