Have we lost the meaning of anticipation and excitement?

draybook

To a certain degree, yes. But no amount of video can substitute actually riding and experiencing.

I sure as hell can vouch for this statement in regards to Jurassic Park over at Universal.

This is what I looked like AFTER watching the YouTube videos of it over 500 times before the trip...
jurassic_zpscd547d61.jpg

Trust me, the anticipation and excitement was there. It was there so much that my eyeballs were about 10 centimeters from popping out of my head....

jlsHouston

The only website I even knew about prior to our first trip in 2011 was the Disney one and AllEars. I was thankful for AllEars because it had maps of the resorts and lots of menus. I'm not big into YouTube...so I haven't really watched much except what other posters have linked.
I am always super excited for my trips to WDW and so far have never had a let down feeling after a ride or an attraction.

jlsHouston

I sure as hell can vouch for this statement in regards to Jurassic Park over at Universal.

This is what I looked like AFTER watching the YouTube videos of it over 500 times before the trip...
jurassic_zpscd547d61.jpg

Trust me, the anticipation and excitement was there. It was there so much that my eyeballs were about 10 centimeters from popping out of my head....

:jawdrop:

kalel8145

At least for me and my family, this is not the case at all. Today was our first opportunity to make our FP+ selections. Myself, the DW and the DS, who is 13 and just as excited as his first trip when he was 3, sat on the couch and made our selections. It was so much fun with the 3 of us deciding what rides to pick, what times, do we want to criss cross the parks or go in order. We watch videos on YouTube, read the forums, look at pictures. I have to say as excited as we were before today, after making our selections, we are even more excited and anxious to get there. For us it doesn't get old at all. All we watch and read on line just enhances it for us.

BigTxEars

jurassic_zpscd547d61.jpg

At least the splash water covered up the fact that you wet you pants a little on the way down :)

I love that ride BTW :)

Disvillain63

We're not youtube watchers, so we don't do a lot of pre-trip experiences with rides and attractions. The anticipation and excitement is still there, because we always seek out new experiences each trip. We've had 4 trips in the last 8 months and we have another scheduled for September. I wish it was tomorrow.

DfromATX

On this next trip, I have reservations at Ohana and Be Our Guest for dinner, both for the first time (BOG is new, and I've never had a trip planned at 180+ to snag the Ohana ressie). Without the internets, I would have absolutely zero knowledge about these places, or why they are so coveted in the first place. Assuming I enjoy these restaurants, I have the internet to thank for it. So yeah, when it comes to WDW as a whole, I know what's on the menu. But I also know about it at all.

Without this resource, I might walk up to the Crystal Palace for lunch on 4th of July weekend, expecting to get right in . . . without a reservation. There are people who do that all the time.

I guarantee you will enjoy both those places. We go to Ohana' s every trip and BOG on our last trip. Love them both! Enjoy!

P.S. - at BOG make sure you request the "west wing." The atmosphere is so neat! That's all I'll say so as not to spoil it for you. You can request it when you check in at the restaurant.

Last edited:

laynalee07

Yes, I think so!... As much as I have wanted to watch the preview for 7DMT I REFUSE to watch it!
I watched The Little Mermaid before we went on our trip, and I felt that it really did take away some of the magic of the ride.
In some ways I really like having WDW in your hands anytime you want, but I never want to spoil my trips by watching or reading to much.
I really do believe though that the internet has created this "Disney under a microscope" theme.
I am just as guilty as the next person as complaining about this or that in the parks, but do you really think we would focus sooo much on the negative aspects if we didn't have each other to complain to?
It's like we have become obsessed about what light bulb hasn't been replaced or what animatronic may be down for the day.
Before this mass global connection we all have with each other, we would have never thought about 90% of the things we complain about now.
We would just go to WDW and ENJOY our trip to the fullest!
I try to remind myself of this often so I am not looking at my favorite place in the world through tainted glasses. :)

Violiav

I've watched many, many videos. I'm excited. July can't get here fast enough. I had this crazy dream last night where we were at DHS trying to find Rock N Roller Coaster and we got lost. I kept on losing my purse. It was pretty strange.

DisneyJunkie

I think that in some instances watching the YouTube videos really and truly can save you from wasting your time on certain things at WDW.....but by far the majority of the time the videos I watch do nothing but 'stoke the fire', so to speak, and keep my desire to be in WDW quite high. Should I be in the situation where I just planned out my next trip and it's months away, the YouTube clips (not to mention my own stash of ride spiels, queue music, and area music) just enhance my anticipation.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
No, but then I dont live my life vicariously through someone elses lens. Im very excited about my holiday, its all to do with Disney or short arses in furry suits and everything to do with spending time with my family. Cameras should capture events and moments, not be the focal point of them.

JoeT63

Great thread. It's cool that we're at least aware of possibly becoming overly immersed!

I, for one, don't watch too many videos but I'll read comments here and elsewhere to learn tips and tricks. You just have to be aware of how to attack The World or you're destined for heartache.

I bet I'm not the only one that would admit, however, that I'd love to be the guy who strolls in, picks up a park map, and then decides where to go. I may miss a lot, but I probably wouldn't even realize it. You always see those families and they're having a wonderful time. Ignorance is still, sometimes, bliss.

Fox&Hound

I enjoy the boards and such...to a point. We are going in December and so I have no interest in seeing a POV SDMT ride-through or an up-close look at the new animatronics- I will avoid those videos like the plague because I feel like it will ruin the experience for me.

I also feel like it allows people to criticize and over analyze in ways that did not exist before. Sometimes reading the negative comments and discussions can be a buzz kill for visitors to WDW. If people had technology like they do now when Splash was built people would have watched as the mountain was bring built, AA's installed, and examined the budget being spent. By the time the ride was finished most would have made up their mind about the ride before ever experiencing it. That, to me, is a downside of technology.

wendysue

When I first went to Dinsey in 1980, it was a single theme park, a couple hotels, and some golf courses.

Now it's four theme parks, 20+ hotels, golf courses, a plethora of dining options, and a host of amenities and things to do that are far too numerous to list here. For me, going to Disney without a plan is like being dropped at a random point in the greater New York City area with no reservations anywhere, and no entertainment planned. You don't even know where the nearest subway is, how the bus schedules work. You have no tickets to anything, have no idea where any good restaurants are, or anything.

Spontaneous yes, but do do you truly get to see the best of New York? No, prior to the internet, you get yourself a guidebook and plan on what you want to do. The only downside in 2014 is that you have the convenience of a cellphone and your access to information is free.

In contrast, when we went on vacation to Breckenridge, CO last year, we picked up some fliers and just walked around downtown and did whatever caught our eye.

WDW ain't Breckenridge.

Very true...I guess I look at it through the eyes of someone who had been there countless times and know just about every nook and cranny. We know where we want to go and what we want to see already and having to book reservations to eat and ride the rides so far out is ridiculous. When we first started to visit, not having those reservations or instant access to how long wait times were or what was closed did not diminish our vacation one bit. (Even the first time) Now it's mostly...look online, try to get a reservation....NOPE. Look online....try to find a ride time that works....NOPE. Go to a lounge and have a couple beers. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom