Haunted Mansion vs Pirates of the Caribbean

Better ride?

• Total voters

EPCOTCenterLover

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, aside from the smell of it, is the water and what that actually does for the attraction. Just having the element of water adds a sense of depth and realism to the attraction which is something Haunted Mansion does not have. The closest thing would be if they blew some large fans in our face to make us feel that the graveyard is cold and windy.
BTW- Did you know that one proposed version of the mansion had water? Check it out.

Also, Mansion is the one attraction I wished Disney would do now with trackless vehicles and "random" paths. Guests could board and go on different and changing routes through the mansion. Talk about re-rideability! :)

mickEblu

BTW- Did you know that one proposed version of the mansion had water? Check it out.

Also, Mansion is the one attraction I wished Disney would do now with trackless vehicles and "random" paths. Guests could board and go on different and changing routes through the mansion. Talk about re-rideability! :)

Thanks for sharing. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before. Although I’m glad they didn’t go with this idea as I prefer them to be unique from each other.

I’d be curious to see what a trackless mansion would look like as it’s really the perfect theme for that ride system but then again you could say riding through Beasts Castle Could have been too. Of course the difference with Beast they still have to give us the obligatory songs/ scenes. It’s just that they didn’t include any intimate exploration of the Beasts Castle.

Anyway, the intimacy is part of what makes the Haunted Mansion so great. How do they pull that off going trackless? So you couldn’t have scenes like the attic of corridor of doors. Maybe now instead of the watching the ballroom you are in the ballroom. You would probably lose a lot of details and AAs though and not sure how they’d pull off Peppers Ghost effect.

EPCOTCenterLover

"Anyway, the intimacy is part of what makes the Haunted Mansion so great. How do they pull that off going trackless? So you couldn’t have scenes like the attic of corridor of doors. Maybe now instead of the watching the ballroom you are in the ballroom. You would probably lose a lot of details and AAs though and not sure how they’d pull off Peppers Ghost effect."

I think the Ballroom could be one of those "everyone goes thru it" scenes.
I'd like to see Imagineering figure out how to do more intimate scenes with this technology. It's time they get creative. I think they can figure it out. I hope...

PiratesMansion

"Anyway, the intimacy is part of what makes the Haunted Mansion so great. How do they pull that off going trackless? So you couldn’t have scenes like the attic of corridor of doors. Maybe now instead of the watching the ballroom you are in the ballroom. You would probably lose a lot of details and AAs though and not sure how they’d pull off Peppers Ghost effect."

I think the Ballroom could be one of those "everyone goes thru it" scenes.
I'd like to see Imagineering figure out how to do more intimate scenes with this technology. It's time they get creative. I think they can figure it out. I hope...
What concerns me is that nothing has used the technology as well as Hunny Hunt 20 years later. Not to say that all other trackless rides are bad or that I'm aware of every other instance of it (Mystic Manor is still a fantastic attraction despite it not using the tech as well as Hunny Hunt; haven't done ROR), but a lot of the trackless rides are trackless just because (I've heard some claim that it is actually cheaper to build rides this way right now, but I have seen nothing to definitively prove it one way or another).

I can't help feeling that no one currently designing with this technology really knows what to do with it.
jurassic park film GIF

D.Silentu

I used to love the crowd interaction in HM when everyone said "no windows! and no doors!", but then, I got on these sites and found out it ruins the ride for many people, so I don't do it anymore out of consideration. I miss it.
I truly appreciate your restraint. Involuntarily I cringe when people recite the show script. It makes me feel like I'm at a Rocky Horror Picture Show screening. I can see how some would enjoy it, but to me it feels a lot like passholder peacocking. I'd rather try and be swept up in the whimsy of one of the best themed effects ever created.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

This really ruins it for me. I appreciate you changing your ways when you realized it got in the way of people's enjoyment.

I also get really annoyed when people scream when the lights go out at the end of the elevator (before the crashing sound). Once this happened at a Grad Night day (mixed in with regular crowd) and it was 20-30 teens screaming as loud as they could...
More often than not now, the Stretching Room is polluted by people with their phones out and their screens on "blinding sun" mode.

There was nothing so pure as watching the reaction on a child's face experiencing that room for the first time.

Zorro

If I were the dictator of the world, people who treat the HM like The Rocky Horror Picture Show would be indefinitely consigned to the gulags.

SuddenStorm

More often than not now, the Stretching Room is polluted by people with their phones out and their screens on "blinding sun" mode.

There was nothing so pure as watching the reaction on a child's face experiencing that room for the first time.

The Stretching Room made me very uncomfortable as a young child. I wouldn't say terrified, but definitely unsettling me. And honestly looking back it's one of my most striking memories from attending the park in my youth, and is now one of my top experiences in the park.

One of the things I don't like about the new Snow White is that it's okay to make kids uncomfortable on attractions. Facing fears in an environment that's completely safe is something that every theme park does.

PiratesMansion

One of the unique DL pleasures within the stretching room is that since it's an elevator, you can feel the room moving. It's immediately obvious what's happening.

It is also often very obvious who has never done it before because they will be visibly startled for half a second when the stretching begins.

Not to say that never happens in MK or Tokyo, but since you can feel the movement at DL, the reaction of the newbies in the elevator is considerable more noticeable. Lots of this:
harry potter wow GIF

Sharon&Susan

What would the work around at DL be? Backstage to get down? Or no Mansion at all. Technically they could you load in the unload zone since it’s just a loop. Of course it would have to happen in batches to let people riding get off.
Looks like DLP, which also uses an elevator for the stretching room, kept it open just with a limited capacity and social distance markers:

PiratesMansion

Lol oh yeah they could just do that. Not sure why Florida isn’t
Probably because it's not technically necessary. If the elevator doesn't work in California or Paris, you cannot proceed without going backstage. But since congregating in indoor spaces isn't great with covid, and everything's on the same floor level, and they don't *need* to run it to get to the rest of the ride, they probably feel it's in their best interest to move people through as quickly as possible so as to minimize the amount of time spent congregating indoors. I don't love it, but I get it.

Makes me wonder if they're still doing preshows in Florida or if they likewise have been temporarily suspended.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom