Haunted Mansion vs Pirates of the Caribbean

Better ride?

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

Every time I see a satellite image of the park now- with that awful chunk of the raiload and rivers chiseled out of the top left, it makes me sad.

Disneyland's aerial used to be so beautiful looking- dare I say iconic- and now it's kinda bleh.

I think the original railroad layout is still the most iconic, since it was heavily featured in marketing and merchandise at the time.

View attachment 517377

But even with the many changes made to the railroad, it still looked satisfying. Here's a more recent photo at a similar angle.

View attachment 517378

Now? Bleh.

View attachment 517379

In elementary school I had one of those poster maps on my wall (and yet my parents wonder why I'm the way I am :rolleyes:). I'm glad it was Disneyland when it's layout was actually appealing! Just imagine this with Galaxy's Edge growing on the top left like a tumor.

View attachment 517380
YUP. It really is like a growth, filled with all sorts of nasty things. In addition, I think what makes me more frustrated is the fact that Star Wars has infiltrated not only other aspects of the park, but the company as a whole. I enjoyed Star Wars more before Disney bought Lucasfilm. It’s just EVERYWHERE.

I love the last park map pictured in your post.😍

SuddenStorm

I love the last park map pictured in your post.😍

That's the exact one that hung on my wall for years, until I became to 'hip' and 'cool' for it around fifth or sixth grade. I also had a Splash Mountain Poster I got at the Disneyana back when it was on Main Street.

In the last few years I made an effort to acquire as many as those maps as I could, so whenever one was posted online for a reasonable price I'd pick it up. Off memory, I have 73, 79, 89, 3 copies of 1995 (two misprints, one perfect condition one), 2000, 2005. I might be missing some or misremembering a year or two. I remember being really disappointed when they didn't release one for the 60th. Main Street station has an updated version of that map with Galaxy's Edge added. And it's atrocious.

1607227865277.png
1607227889676.png

I plan on getting each map framed and hung when I settle down into a proper home.

Californian Elitist

That's the exact one that hung on my wall for years, until I became to 'hip' and 'cool' for it around fifth or sixth grade. I also had a Splash Mountain Poster I got at the Disneyana back when it was on Main Street.

In the last few years I made an effort to acquire as many as those maps as I could, so whenever one was posted online for a reasonable price I'd pick it up. Off memory, I have 73, 79, 89, 3 copies of 1995 (two misprints, one perfect condition one), 2000, 2005. I might be missing some or misremembering a year or two. I remember being really disappointed when they didn't release one for the 60th. Main Street station has an updated version of that map with Galaxy's Edge added. And it's atrocious.

View attachment 517381 View attachment 517382

I plan on getting each map framed and hung when I settle down into a proper home.

Love your idea of getting them framed. I distinctly remember buying the 2005 version during the 50th anniversary. I was also disappointed (and surprised) that one was not produced for the 60th. Maybe they’ll do one for the 70th, but I won’t hold my breath.

Is that the actual color of the map? Sepia? I’m not sure if I want any future versions with Star Wars in the corner.

SuddenStorm

Love your idea of getting them framed. I distinctly remember buying the 2005 version during the 50th anniversary. I was also disappointed (and surprised) that one was not produced for the 60th. Maybe they’ll do one for the 70th, but I won’t hold my breath.

Is that the actual color of the map? I’m not sure if I want any future versions with Star Wars in the corner.

Yeah, they tried to make it old timey for the Railroad station. As far as I've seen, that's the only version of the map with Star Wars on it.

They should just put up a 1955 map in there and call it good, even if it doesn't show each station.

Californian Elitist

According to the comments, most folks prefer Pirates. Lol I’m convinced many of the people who voted are WDW folks, clearly voting for Mansion. Looking at the number of votes, we don’t have that many people here in the DLR sub-forum. I’d say there’s probably 15 or so of us, maybe less. Yet 42 have voted.

Regardless, it’s a fun poll that has generated fun discussion, something that’s been missing here for months.

Sharon&Susan

According to the comments, most folks prefer Pirates. Lol I’m convinced many of the people who voted are WDW folks, clearly voting for Mansion. Looking at the number of votes, we don’t have that many people here in the DLR sub-forum. I’d say there’s probably 15 or so of us, maybe less. Yet 42 have voted.

Regardless, it’s a fun poll that has generated fun discussion, something that’s been missing here for months.
Doesn't help that there's a thread with the same name in the WDW General section, easy to confuse the two.

PostScott

Haunted Mansion is only better because it's queue rarely leaks out into a bottleneak walkway... but other than that it's super hard to determine

Little Green Men

Idk why WDW folks would vote HM, the POTC at DL crushes ours with an extra 8 minutes, while MK’s mansion is generally considered an iconic attraction.

mickEblu

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, aside from the smell of it, is the water and what that actually does for the attraction. Just having the element of water adds a sense of depth and realism to the attraction which is something Haunted Mansion does not have. The closest thing would be if they blew some large fans in our face to make us feel that the graveyard is cold and windy.

Californian Elitist

Idk why WDW folks would vote HM, the POTC at DL crushes ours with an extra 8 minutes, while MK’s mansion is generally considered an iconic attraction.

I believe many of the folks who voted in this poll thought it was in reference to MK, hence why the poll’s numbers outnumber the amount of people who discuss here. It also explains why the comments in this thread don’t reflect the poll results (more people have claimed to prefer Pirates).

TP2000

Sounds fantastic! Filet n lobster tail? Or some lighter lunch fare? Also @TP2000 those mint juleps are so much better than they used to be. Do you remember not too long ago when they were green and tasted like crap?

Yeah, they used to be horrible. I think they changed the Julep recipe in 2017 when they had the 50th Anniversary menu with "Fruits De La Mer", which I had and was actually quite good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom