Better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Better ride? Explain.
Haunted Mansion | Disneyland Park | Disneyland Resort
Pirates of the Caribbean | Rides & Attractions | Disneyland Park

britain

So, it's come to this. The Kong vs. Godzilla debate of Imagineering.

I think I give slight edge to the Mansion. While I appreciate the grander sweep of locations, the flume, and the rock work associated with Pirates, there is something a bit quaint about it. The animatronics (other than the recent additions) feel more wax museum than what we'd want if it were created today.

Mansion is more timeless. Even when the animatronics' abilities are limited, that's a feature, not a bug. Creakiness adds to creepiness. Plus, anytime an attraction's story is fused to a building, then the building takes on an extra mystique. As just one example, look at the history and trivia about the multiple exits created, but buried, as the plans for the grounds around the Mansion were revised from 1963-1969. And Long Forgotten has chronicled hundreds of these interesting discoveries. The secrets and backstory of the attraction become more interesting than the secrets and 'forestory' of the house. When the story says you are exploring a building and you actually are exploring a building, it creates a harmonic resonance.

I love them both. Hard to decide. In retrospect, Pirates has become a bit of an awkward 'You are observing someone else's story' attraction, albeit a super atmospheric one. But there's no denying that YOU are entering the haunted house, and the Ghost Host is talking to YOU, and YOU might not get out.

Last edited:

Macro

#1: Classic Pirates.
#2: Pirates with Captain Jack only because I get to sit down for 15 minutes and I ride it late in the day. If the ride was shorter then it would switch spots with the Haunted Mansion.
#3: Haunted Mansion.
#4: Pirates with pirates auctioning stuff to pirates. At least I still get to sit down for 15 minutes. Plus I can look to the right during the auction scene. There's detail everywhere on that ride.

britain

Another observation: Pirates' strength is taking an epic journey that spans oceans and cultures and convincingly crams it in some big multi-level boxes. Mansion takes an experience that should take place within a 3,000 sq foot house, and expands it until it takes place in a big multi-level box. One isn't better than the other, but I think the expansion experience ("wow this house keeps on going!") is a little more impressive than the illusion of caves, bayous, ports, towns, etc. ("Ah, I can see the backdrop on the wall behind those trees.")

TP2000

I voted Pirates.

Now don't get me wrong, Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is a very good ride. Very good.

But Disneyland's Pirates is more than very good, it's excellent. Epic. 15 minutes long! I haven't lasted 15 minutes in decades, but Pirates still does it over 50 years later. That's impressive.

If TDA had invested the same amount of money into Disneyland's Haunted Mansion that they've invested into Disneyland's Pirates, even if there's an animatronic of a washed-up heroin addict in most of the key scenes in Pirates now, then maybe I'd have a different opinion.

But in 2020? Or 2019, which is the last time I'd ridden both because Disneyland is still closed. Pirates by a mile.

mickEblu

POTC. The atmosphere, scope n scale and thrills take it over the top. Even with the terrible new auction scene all the Depps. As TP said POTC is epic and it’s an adventure/ journey. You get a couple nice drops to get your started and go under the talking skeleton (maybe my favorite moment in any attraction) which are a great way transport us into the fantastical caverns and out of the more realistic bayou. I think I enjoy the first half of POTC more than HM. Not a knock on HM as this is like 1a/ 1b kind of thing.

I voted Pirates.

Now don't get me wrong, Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is a very good ride. Very good.

But Disneyland's Pirates is more than very good, it's excellent. Epic. 15 minutes long! I haven't lasted 15 minutes in decades, but Pirates still does it over 50 years later. That's impressive.

LOL

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

This is a nearly impossible decision...
And as such, my answer is a bit confusing.

Though I prefer HM, overall I think POTC is a better attraction.

POTC is the still unsurpassed pinnacle of Walt-era Imagineering, but which one would I ride with Margot Robbie?* Definitely HM.

*Yes, that is an official judging criteria.

SuddenStorm

Isn't it amazing that Indy, Pirates, Mansion, and Splash are all right next to each other? You have the two best Walt era rides, and the two best 'second generation' rides, each representing a new advancement in themed attraction design. If you ask someone what their favorite Disneyland ride is- chances are it's one of those four.

Haunted Mansion has had a ton of research done on its development, with multiple books and fan blogs that look into the influences for everything. Pirates, it feels like, has never gotten that treatment- which is a shame.

mickEblu

This is a nearly impossible decision...
And as such, my answer is a bit confusing.

Though I prefer HM, overall I think POTC is a better attraction.

POTC is the still unsurpassed pinnacle of Walt-era Imagineering, but which one would I ride with Margot Robbie?* Definitely HM.

*Yes, that is an official judging criteria.

For me it would be the Matterhorn with the old bobsleds. 😉

Yeah I feel like POTC is Disneyland’s signature attraction and to an extent castle parks in general. Except for maybe Hong Kong that doesn’t have a POTC lol. Who thought that was a good idea?

mickEblu

Isn't it amazing that Indy, Pirates, Mansion, and Splash are all right next to each other? You have the two best Walt era rides, and the two best 'second generation' rides, each representing a new advancement in themed attraction design. If you ask someone what their favorite Disneyland ride is- chances are it's one of those four.

Haunted Mansion has had a ton of research done on its development, with multiple books and fan blogs that look into the influences for everything. Pirates, it feels like, has never gotten that treatment- which is a shame.

Definitely a shame. Not quite sure why it doesn’t get the same love. The 50th was downright embarrassing. And yeah that’s an amazing 4 attractions in a row and we can go ahead and add Jungle Cruise with it’s incredible jungle in the middle of Anaheim and make it 5 in a row. If you want to cheat a little bit, BTMRR is a hop, skip and a jump away for 6. Then deduct two points for Galaxies Edge.

Mac Tonight

Definitely a shame. Not quite sure why it doesn’t get the same love. The 50th was downright embarrassing. And yeah that’s an amazing 4 attractions in a row and we can go ahead and add Jungle Cruise with it’s incredible jungle in the middle of Anaheim and make it 5 in a row. If you want to cheat a little bit. BTMRR is a hop, skip and a jump away.

If I remember rightly, Jason Surrell has books on both HM and POTC.

SuddenStorm

If I remember rightly, Jason Surrell has books on both HM and POTC.

Yep, though the Pirates book is long out of print, and each book barely scratches the surface of what each attraction has to offer. Why isn't there a 'Long Forgotten Blog' but for Pirates?

There's so much little stuff about that ride that's changed that people assume has always been there. The old dude in the Bayou, the 'here kitty kitty' pirate were both added after the attraction opened. The skeleton chess game was a later addition as well I believe. The ride was updated a few times before the infamous '97 changes- but since the updates were actually good, no one cared.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom