Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

Professortango1

It’s a good fit for Liberty square and more creepy entering from the basement. The ghosts are controversial but I like the different high tech ways they interact with guests
I wish it felt like I was entering through a basement or servant's quarters, but it feels like a door in the side of a fake facade. I don't get the feeling that the MK Mansion is a real building with a front door. And ghosts before entering the Mansion ruins the flow of the ride for me. And the end as well. The ride has a character and style that the projection ghosts don't seem to match. It would be like putting screens along Pirates' ending lift hill with animated version of Jack and Barbosa making faces.

Mac Tonight

I do enjoy their HM ride as a whole, but I can't stand their facade, queue, and the animated Hitchhiking Ghosts. I didn't notice anything different about their constance.
We got a free Lightning Lane pass so we skipped the mess that is the outside of their HM. Honestly though, I don’t find the Hitchhiking Ghost part at the end as egregious as everyone else does apparently. My wife found it hilarious. Having said that, I’m fine with it not coming to DL.

Constance’s face just seemed to fit the head shape better and looked brighter. Course, I hadn’t ridden ours since June, so maybe it just seemed that way?

VicariousCorpse

I wish it felt like I was entering through a basement or servant's quarters, but it feels like a door in the side of a fake facade. I don't get the feeling that the MK Mansion is a real building with a front door. And ghosts before entering the Mansion ruins the flow of the ride for me. And the end as well. The ride has a character and style that the projection ghosts don't seem to match. It would be like putting screens along Pirates' ending lift hill with animated version of Jack and Barbosa making faces.
Or maybe at the beginning with Barbosa and Davy Jones. That would be a great idea!

Professortango1

Disney literally has a dead persons skull in pirates of the caribbean too, where's the outrage for that one?
'One is a depiction of suicide vs just being a dead body. Everyone will die. Suicide is issue.

That being said, I enjoy the gag and wouldn't want to see it changed. It fits the attraction and story.

PiratesMansion

Having recently returned from Magic Kingdom, I can safely say it was SO nice being able to ride Haunted Mansion in it's original form in November :)

Also, consider me weird, but I kinda found myself preferring their rides layout just a bit more than ours. I also love the added "stretching" sounds in the Stretching Room. On the whole, their version just seemed to have everything working... including that weird, mysterious green swirling light in the Leota seance room on the wall.

Also also, their Constance looks WAY better than ours. What's up with that?
For all of the (often deserved) derision towards the quality of WDW maintenance in general, they are consistently MUCH better at maintaining Mansion than DL in my experience.

IIRC their Constance came a few years after than DL's, so it's likely they upgraded the effect a bit when they brought it over.

The more I visit, the more I love their facade, which I think better fits the ride that was actually built. I also love the way it looms over the park from certain vantage points, especially along the river. It has such PRESENCE that DL's doesn't have (not because of any fault in DL's mansion, but simply by virtue of Splash so thoroughly upstaging the Mansion there).

I don't love the CGI hitchhiking ghosts but I don't think it's a ride breaker by any stretch. They didn't stick out as egregiously on my last ride through as they had in the past for me. Others' mileage may vary.

For me, WDW's Mansion sings while DL's half-heartedly whistles. It's not perfect, but no version of Mansion is, and I've never understood the tendency for some to proclaim that the WDW version is inferior based on some minor difference that is insignificant in the context of the overall attraction, and is minor when compared to the very real improvements the WDW version offers over the original.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

'One is a depiction of suicide vs just being a dead body. Everyone will die. Suicide is issue.

That being said, I enjoy the gag and wouldn't want to see it changed. It fits the attraction and story.
I have never thought of suicide or associated the hang man with suicide. Its just a body hanging. Someone else could have hung him. Criminals were hung all the time. Hanging is not the sole method of suicide nor does suicide have a patent on the idea of hangings. Stop looking for things to be offended by that have been there with no one up in arms for over 50 plus years. Stop it. You look silly. You look silly.

Professortango1

I have never thought of suicide or associated the hang man with suicide. Its just a body hanging. Someone else could have hung him. Criminals were hung all the time. Hanging is not the sole method of suicide nor does suicide have a patent on the idea of hangings. Stop looking for things to be offended by that have been there with no one up in arms for over 50 plus years. Stop it. You look silly. You look silly.
....its clearly a suicide. There was no way out, so he found his way..the original sketch of the scene has a char knocked over beneath him.

I said I wasn't offended and enjoyed the scene. Don't gaslight me by trying to pretend I'm triggered or reading into the scene in some weird way. Ghost host, with a name like that you should know the Mansion and the storytelling present.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

....its clearly a suicide. There was no way out, so he found his way..the original sketch of the scene has a char knocked over beneath him.

I said I wasn't offended and enjoyed the scene. Don't gaslight me by trying to pretend I'm triggered or reading into the scene in some weird way. Ghost host, with a name like that you should know the Mansion and the storytelling present.
I apologize, your initial response made me think you were triggered. Glad that is not the case. You missed my point even it is suicide which it has NEVER been made clear -it has beem left vague on the ride for a reason- there id NOTHING wrong with the scene.

Professortango1

I apologize, your initial response made me think you were triggered. Glad that is not the case. You missed my point even it is suicide which it has NEVER been made clear -it has beem left vague on the ride for a reason- there id NOTHING wrong with the scene.
There is no way out of the room. Except death. He took his own way out. His way out isn't him being hung by someone else. That wouldn't be HIS way.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the scene. Horror is based around taboos. The idea of someone being driven mad to the point of suicide is classic. But it's very clear, he hung himself. He wasn't murdered.
HM.jpg

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

There is no way out of the room. Except death. He took his own way out. His way out isn't him being hung by someone else. That wouldn't be HIS way.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the scene. Horror is based around taboos. The idea of someone being driven mad to the point of suicide is classic. But it's very clear, he hung himself. He wasn't murdered.
We agree to disagree on the cause of death but my point is the scene works. Its one of those little additions of Macabre that you found here or there around the park that gave the park that little bit extra that modern Disney is slowly taking away.

castlecake2.0

The issues with WDW entrance is all the changes and clutter added to it over the years. By the time you get in the queue you can barely see the building you’re entering. Id hate to lose rivers of America but the mansion would benefit from having more land available in front of it to totally redesign the entry plaza.

Centauri Space Station

The issues with WDW entrance is all the changes and clutter added to it over the years. By the time you get in the queue you can barely see the building you’re entering. Id hate to lose rivers of America but the mansion would benefit from having more land available in front of it to totally redesign the entry plaza.
It’s more behind the queue though, if you use lightning lane you don’t really see it at all

WEDfan9798

Who knows maybe they'll add the Muppets? I mean it was kind of odd that they just recently had a Muppet Haunted Mansion special and current year Disney loves synergy. Jokes aside I hope they keep the Haunted Mansion as close to the original as possible.
Same here.

WEDfan9798

My issue is how they added that interactive queue there and use the same green tarps.

WEDfan9798

I've long theorized an ideal solution should the Hanging Corpse scene be replaced but I dare not mention it out of fear Imagineering runs with my written idea or if somehow typing it out brings it to fruition like some evil magical spell.

The fix would actually be quite easy without resorting to new IP or new characters or new dialog. But NEVER! Leave the mansion alone.
Same here. It makes me mad to think about how they would run with this stuff.

WEDfan9798

Yeah I'm not sure why the hanging man is all of a sudden a problem now. The Haunted Mansion is a mixture of spooky scenes and funny ones. The stretching room is supposed to make you feel unsettled. You might as well get rid of the portraits because it shows the subjects before their fates.
Exactly. The people who make it an issue shouldn't be in any position to change it or anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom