Haunted Mansion ride vehicle update

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeoplemoverTTA

I see parents all the time with newborns on IASW holding them on their laps?

Wow, that's scary. When the boats get backed up, which is frequently (or about every time I've ever been on it), the jolts from getting slammed by the boat behind have been enough for me to drop a bag or camera I'm holding...certainly, some of the bumps are more than enough to jostle a newborn, especially if the parent is not expecting it.

Sorry for going OT...

crlachepinochet

I've had two trips to DLR in the last year with DS when he was 11 months and last week when he was 18 months, so here's my thoughts:

1. The DLR version is fresh in my mind right now, and over there the Ghost Host and the CM both say 2-3 per doom buggy, so I think that's pretty clear.

2. We did ride with three adults and DS once and the CM didn't say anything, but we thought it was too cramped with three adults and we're not especially large.

3. In rides where it's allowed, I think lap sitting is probably safer than having an infant or small toddler. I've never had a "close call" where I almost dropped my son. Having him in my lap is better than him sliding around inside the doom buggy, and little ones often will have trouble seeing over the sides of ride vehicles if they're seated on their own.

4. At 24 months, kids are about 30-36 inches tall... they might even be able to ride the Matterhorn (35")! Most CMs would probably let a newborn ride with three adults, but there has to be a point where CMs start to notice that the doom buggy looks a little too crowded. As the OP's son gets bigger every trip, the odds go up that a CM is going to say something. So saying that they have "always" ridden that way doesn't really mean much.

maggiegrace1

So..where are these rules posted?

I have never seen anything that says only 2 or 3 to a car..and I have never heard anyone say it either.

vwayfan123

perhaps when your childeren were younger during your previous trips they were probably smaller..?

edit: i also wouldnt say this is a "ride vehicle update"

haveyoumetmark

What? No it doesn't.

"The cars will accommodate two adults and a third person if that individual is small (which is left to the operator's discretion)."

It doesn't say, "third or fourth person if they are small," it's says a THIRD.

The following rule states, "Two or three to a car please."

It doesn't say, "...maybe four."

The rules are clear on this. Nothing about them says four people is okay. A family group of four can be split two and two. Though the rules say, "Whenever possible keep family groups together," nothing allows four.

It's subjective. Depends on how you look at it. My interpretation is that there are never to be four adults in one car, doesn't say anything about infants (and it didn't say "never four people," it clearly said adults). It also says not to split families apart, which the cm clearly did. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's solely up to the cm.

Laura

Premium Member
Wow, that's scary. When the boats get backed up, which is frequently (or about every time I've ever been on it), the jolts from getting slammed by the boat behind have been enough for me to drop a bag or camera I'm holding...certainly, some of the bumps are more than enough to jostle a newborn, especially if the parent is not expecting it.

Sorry for going OT...

I just don't understand this mentality that holding a baby is dangerous. If I'm holding a baby, I'm certainly going to be more aware of my surroundings and more prepared for being bumped into than I would if I were holding a camera bag.

In a million years I would never have even thought to look at a parent holding an infant on a slow moving ride and think "wow, that's scary". It is the safest place for the baby to be. Where else are they supposed to be? Maybe just lay all the babies on the floor of the ride vehicles and let them slam into things anytime there's the slightest bump?

I think the dumbest thing I've ever experienced was going on the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios when my daughter was an infant. There's no height restrictions so we waited in line an hour and a half to ride. We finally make it to the ride and get inside the tram and the doors all shut and the ride is starting up and I've got my baby securely on my lap. Then an employee scolds me and says that no lap sitting is allowed. They actually made me put my baby on the seat on her own with no restraints for a jerky ride where adults have trouble staying seated. :eek: As soon as we were out of the employees sight I HAD to pick her up, otherwise she'd have been thrown right off the seat and badly injured. In my lap she was perfectly fine. I was appalled that they think the safest place for an infant to be on that ride is unrestrained and plopped on a seat! :mad:

Joel

Where else are they supposed to be? Maybe just lay all the babies on the floor of the ride vehicles and let them slam into things anytime there's the slightest bump?
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Maybe you're supposed to do this?

NewfieFan

:eek: They forgot their child in the shuffle!?! Wow, that is all I can say.

I don't really want to get into this discussion but I do have a question. Where is the safest place for a young child/infant then? I can tell you I wouldn't have felt safe putting my 14 mth old on the seat on our last trip. Any ride that didn't have a height/age restriction we took her on it and she sat in my lap for the most part. Never once did I think she was unsafe and never once did I think I was breaking any rules. If the rule is indeed "no lap sitting" then every ride in WDW is going to have to have a height/age restriction put on it. Babies just wouldn't be able to ride anything! You can't seriously expect babies/young toddlers to be able to sit by themselves on rides!?!
I'm just asking the question, that is all!

Thank you to the OP for the update!

I still don't understand how this is a ride vechicle "update"

It's a woman complaining that she didn't listen to the cast member and had to ride 5 cars behind her husband. A.lert the press please!!!!!!!!!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I just don't understand this mentality that holding a baby is dangerous. If I'm holding a baby, I'm certainly going to be more aware of my surroundings and more prepared for being bumped into than I would if I were holding a camera bag.

In a million years I would never have even thought to look at a parent holding an infant on a slow moving ride and think "wow, that's scary". It is the safest place for the baby to be. Where else are they supposed to be? Maybe just lay all the babies on the floor of the ride vehicles and let them slam into things anytime there's the slightest bump?

I think the dumbest thing I've ever experienced was going on the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios when my daughter was an infant. There's no height restrictions so we waited in line an hour and a half to ride. We finally make it to the ride and get inside the tram and the doors all shut and the ride is starting up and I've got my baby securely on my lap. Then an employee scolds me and says that no lap sitting is allowed. They actually made me put my baby on the seat on her own with no restraints for a jerky ride where adults have trouble staying seated. :eek: As soon as we were out of the employees sight I HAD to pick her up, otherwise she'd have been thrown right off the seat and badly injured. In my lap she was perfectly fine. I was appalled that they think the safest place for an infant to be on that ride is unrestrained and plopped on a seat! :mad:
100% agree with you

they get the parenting award of the year

Uponastar

It's a woman complaining that she didn't listen to the cast member and had to ride 5 cars behind her husband. A.lert the press please!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong.
She was alerting all parents to a change in boarding at the HM. Anyone planning on taking a small child on the ride would be interested in reading about her experience.

maggiegrace1

:eek: They forgot their child in the shuffle!?! Wow, that is all I can say.

I don't really want to get into this discussion but I do have a question. Where is the safest place for a young child/infant then? I can tell you I wouldn't have felt safe putting my 14 mth old on the seat on our last trip. Any ride that didn't have a height/age restriction we took her on it and she sat in my lap for the most part. Never once did I think she was unsafe and never once did I think I was breaking any rules. If the rule is indeed "no lap sitting" then every ride in WDW is going to have to have a height/age restriction put on it. Babies just wouldn't be able to ride anything! You can't seriously expect babies/young toddlers to be able to sit by themselves on rides!?!
I'm just asking the question, that is all!

Thank you to the OP for the update!
On your lap..unless the child is able to completely hold on by themselves the best place is on your lap...

:rolleyes:

No..she was letting people know what happened to her so that if others have been doing the same thing..which many many people do..I see this every time I go to WDW..that either it is something new they are doing it or they are enforcing it more.

Like I have stated..I do this on every ride I bring Maggie on..which unless it is a coaster or has a height restriction she goes on and she is always on someones lap...she is 32 inches and weighs all of 27 pouds and I am not going to sit her on a seat where the lap bar does not even come close to protecting her..so on my lap she goes so I can hold on to her securely and know she will be safe.

It is ridiculous how rude and ugly people have been because of this thread...

Wrong.
She was alerting all parents to a change in boarding at the HM. Anyone planning on taking a small child on the ride would be interested in reading about her experience.
:sohappy:

The issue with Earthquake and lap seating is that, with such a jerky ride, your childs center of gravity is raised, thus making it easier for her to fall if you aren't holding tight. I didn't really enforce our lap seating policies at Jaws until I saw a parent drop an infant onto the passenger next to her because she hadn't expected the sudden violent rocking. Had she been sitting on the outside, the way the child fell he definitely would have ended up in the lagoon.

You are more than welcome to put your infant in between two adults, and use your arms to steady the child. Just remember- if a Team/Cast Member says no lap seating, there is usually a reason behind the madness :wave:

Laura

Premium Member
The issue with Earthquake and lap seating is that, with such a jerky ride, your childs center of gravity is raised, thus making it easier for her to fall if you aren't holding tight.

But why wouldn't I be holding her tight? How am I supposed to have a tight grip on her in the seat next to me versus holding her in my arms? Seriously, it's the dumbest thing I've ever experienced in my life. If she's in the seat next to me then not only can I not hold onto her tightly, but I also cannot balance myself, therefore resulting in injuries to both of us.

What about babies who aren't even old enough to sit? Do they expect moms to just throw their newborns on the seat and hope they survive? If there's no lap sitting allowed for a ride like that why don't they slap a height restriction on it? That's a heck of a lot safer than expecting a baby sit in the seat unrestrained.

I was able to ride the backlot tour when my kids were babies and have them in my lap without a single issue, and Earthquake is almost the exact same thing.

Just remember- if a Team/Cast Member says no lap seating, there is usually a reason behind the madness :wave:

Yeah, the reason is they are complete morons apparently. I'm not going to risk the safety of myself and my baby because of something that stupid.

No opinions here, just an observation...
Before the Haunted Mansion rehab, myself, my hubby, my older son (6-7 at the time) and my younger son (2-3 at the time) all fit comfortably and without a word from cms. I never realized there was a doom buggy limit, so to speak. Been going to Disney for 33 years, lol.
After the rehab, we no fit no more... perhaps the boys got bigger? Perhaps the cars got smaller? I lost 45 pounds, so that should account for one years growth of the boys. Hubby is skinny anyway...
Just an observation.

But why wouldn't I be holding her tight? How am I supposed to have a tight grip on her in the seat next to me versus holding her in my arms? Seriously, it's the dumbest thing I've ever experienced in my life. If she's in the seat next to me then not only can I not hold onto her tightly, but I also cannot balance myself, therefore resulting in injuries to both of us.

What about babies who aren't even old enough to sit? Do they expect moms to just throw their newborns on the seat and hope they survive? If there's no lap sitting allowed for a ride like that why don't they slap a height restriction on it? That's a heck of a lot safer than expecting a baby sit in the seat unrestrained.

I was able to ride the backlot tour when my kids were babies and have them in my lap without a single issue, and Earthquake is almost the exact same thing.

I'm not saying you personally don't hold your children tight. But some parents don't- as I learned at Jaws. You can't say "Ok Ma'am, I think you're going to hold your child nice and tight on your lap, so you're fine...oh, but YOU look like your arms are limp spaghetti noodles, so YOUR child has to remain seated at all times!"

I do know that on our restriction board at Jaws it states that there are no hand-held infants allowed. I would assume that Disaster (formerly Earthquake) has the same statement. So no, they don't expect mothers with newborns to throw their infants on the seat. They expect mothers with newborns to follow the stated rule and do a child swap, which really is the safest option for parents with newborn infants who really aren't going to have any idea whats going on anyways.

Yeah, the reason is they are complete morons apparently. I'm not going to risk the safety of myself and my baby because of something that stupid.

Wow. I'd like to see you get payed $7.25 an hour to uphold safety guideleines set out by professionals. You obviously put me under the "complete moron" statement. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom