Haunted Mansion Restaurant

RandySavage

Well, arguably the biggest HM Expert in the world @HBG2 used to post here around the time the queue debuted. But he was chased off the site by the really hard-core pixie dusters at the time. It's a shame too as I would like to hear his take on this whole thing.
That rings a bell. We had a long debate over a couple dozen posts. But it was cordial, and I found it rewarding to see the attraction through the eyes of someone who has deeply studied it and had a different takeaway.

Creathir

Honestly, the restaurant should go between the river and the mansion.

Obviously the queue would need to be redesigned, but it would allow for some amazing theming: "Did you want ballroom dining or the ghastly terrace overlooking the water sir? Be sure you don't slip into the river, ghosts tend not to help pull you out..."

It honestly could be a really nice place set in the woods overlooking the river. It can also be done without ruining the imposing house on the hill be leaving enough trees in place to not destroy the illusion.

I for one really hope this happens.

TeriofTerror

I got into a long debate with the resident HM experts (you might have been part of it) when the queue first was added about the tone and when the ghosts should be revealed. It was informative, but neither side budged...nothing has changed.

17th & 18th century family oil portraits associated with genre have a particular realism. If the attraction were design to be a more realistic, dreadful, gothic horror experience from the Foyer on, you might see portraits that emulate this style.
doort.jpg

url

Instead, the Haunted Mansion paintings eschew such realism (or maybe mix it in at random, i.e., hanging corpse) and are much more whimsical & toonish in the Marc Davis-style, setting a precedent early in the experience:
220px-HauntedMansionFoyerPainting.gif
1. (Unrelated to post I'm quoting) Of course the exterior has a foreboding atmosphere - does that howl not give you a bit of a shiver? And have you not seen small children get a little anxious as they await entrance? The new queue is a disappointment, IMO.
2. Love these portraits. The first time I saw the proposed Anne Boleyn portrait, I gasped out loud. I would give body parts for an original copy of that!

Rich T

The new queue destroys the sense of mystery for any first-timers by giving away the style of the 2nd half of the ride. It reassures you that the ghosts you'll be seeing will be comical caricatures. The first half of the ride with all it spookiness and dread is kinda spoiled if you know you're heading for a rendezvous with a bunch of goofballs. It's still possible, even for repeat riders, to get chills from that first half, but the queue McGraveyard with all its silliness isn't a good mood-setter.

Animaniac93-98

Part of the reason The Haunted Mansion ride works is the isolation you, as a rider, have from the other guests, despite hundreds of tourists sharing the same conveyer belt system. It allows you to focus on the atmosphere of the various sets and helps to keep noise to a minimum, plus it just feels creepier to be "alone" while travelling through a haunted house.

The best way to duplicate that in a restaurant setting would be to have a layout similar to Walt's at DLP. A series of smaller parlours with interconnecting hallways to give you the sense of an actual, (once) functional house. Have a music room, a library and conservatory, a "balcony" overlooking the grounds/graveyard etc.

The WORST thing they could do, is something like BOG. Big, open, convention-hall like spaces that look absurd in scale and allow the noise of children running around to constantly echo, ruining any sense of atmosphere.

HMF

Part of the reason The Haunted Mansion ride works is the isolation you, as a rider, have from the other guests, despite hundreds of tourists sharing the same conveyer belt system. It allows you to focus on the atmosphere of the various sets and helps to keep noise to a minimum, plus it just feels creepier to be "alone" while travelling through a haunted house.

The best way to duplicate that in a restaurant setting would be to have a layout similar to Walt's at DLP. A series of smaller parlours with interconnecting hallways to give you the sense of an actual, (once) functional house. Have a music room, a library and conservatory, a "balcony" overlooking the grounds/graveyard etc.

The WORST thing they could do, is something like BOG. Big, open, convention-hall like spaces that look absurd in scale and allow the noise of children running around to constantly echo, ruining any sense of atmosphere.
I would prefer they design new settings for the restaurant rather than re-hash ones from the ride after all we are talking about a "New" Wing of the Mansion.

Bocabear

There were additional settings in the movie that could be used..the conservatory, the grand foyer with it's double staircase, the Armory, and though we pass the Grand Ballroom, but we never pass a grand Dining room, which a mansion of this size would have had exclusive of the ballroom...So there is that as well...lots of possibilities.
067864c920acecc87239c8cd85d13c11.jpg

Last edited:

build_it

This could be done in a very interesting, yet appropriate manner. If you added the path past the entrance to the mansion, you could have it lead to a carriage house beside/behind the mansion. Something along the lines of this carriage house from New York. Just like the mansion, you could hide a much larger space behind it and just use it as the entrance. This could also allow for some fun headless horsemen tie-ins.

Attachments

• CarriageHouse2014b-300x212.jpg
    CarriageHouse2014b-300x212.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 100

HMF

There were additional settings in the movie that could be used..the conservatory, the grand foyer with it's double staircase, the Armory, and though we pass the Grand Ballroom, but we never pass a grand Dining room, which a mansion of this size would have had exclusive of the ballroom...So there is that as well...lots of possibilities.
067864c920acecc87239c8cd85d13c11.jpg
I would prefer they avoid the movie as a source of creative inspiration unless it is particularly the right thing to do.

Bocabear

mehhhh....it was aight
Really?? That was the film's strong suit...It was not a direct copy of any of the mansions, yet was really gorgeous and perfectly fit... They should hire John Myhre to design the interiors for the restaurant, because I fear if they left it up to the current adinistraction, it would look like the Enchanted Tales with Belle, Marriott Hotel Pre-function space...instead of the mansion interior it should be.
enchanted-tales-with-belle-gallery07.jpg

Prince Thomas

Really?? That was the film's strong suit...It was not a direct copy of any of the mansions, yet was really gorgeous and perfectly fit... They should hire John Myhre to design the interiors for the restaurant, because I fear if they left it up to the current adinistraction, it would look like the Enchanted Tales with Belle, Marriott Hotel Pre-function space...instead of the mansion interior it should be.
Im sorry but for me, there was nothing about that movie i liked. Just my opinion, so it really doesnt matter LOL

HMF

design-wise, the movie was gorgeous...they just needed a better script and cast...but the design work that went into the film was flawless. Really beautiful...
There are elements of truth to that. Even the ride element that I feel was specifically created to distance the ride from the story of the movie the "revised" Attic Scene has a few aesthetic nods to the movie.
upload_2017-5-3_10-34-59.png

upload_2017-5-3_10-43-47.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom