Haunted Mansion Restaurant

jt04

like I told him...not everyone gets it...if you don't get it and you don't care, why bother tryng to make the point that you don't get it?

That is amazing.

I armchaired a backstory for a potential restaurant in the Imagineering forum just for fun.

HMF

That is just how I remember it as a kid...Wow it was beautiful...and wonderfully somber and formal outside...I like the mature landscaped version of today sans giant canopy, but that opening season, it was so beautiful.
I am hoping this restaurant will come with a complete re-thinking of the queue and entrance closer to the 71 setup and free up the current PLQ Space for the restaurant and of course getting rid of the Fastpass+ queue which the ride does not need.

Bocabear

I just think foreboding is a bit strong of a word to use. Eerie, yes.
So then by all means, let's mince words... I don't like the word "Eerie" to describe it either...
you get the point I was making whether or not you would have used that particular word...

RandySavage

Not really, The paintings may be humorous but they fit the tone with their macabre nature and can be perceived as veiled threats.
I got into a long debate with the resident HM experts (you might have been part of it) when the queue first was added about the tone and when the ghosts should be revealed. It was informative, but neither side budged...nothing has changed.

17th & 18th century family oil portraits associated with genre have a particular realism. If the attraction were design to be a more realistic, dreadful, gothic horror experience from the Foyer on, you might see portraits that emulate this style.
doort.jpg

url

Instead, the Haunted Mansion paintings eschew such realism (or maybe mix it in at random, i.e., hanging corpse) and are much more whimsical & toonish in the Marc Davis-style, setting a precedent early in the experience:
220px-HauntedMansionFoyerPainting.gif

BD-Anaheim

It wouldn't make any sense to take over CHH and re-imagine it as the HM restuarant. The reason for this is pretty simple: how can you dine in the HM ballroom at the CHH location and also ride through it across the street? It ruins the illusion and the mystery. For the same reason why they never have two Mickeys' out and about in the parks, I highly doubt a version of a HM restaurant would even include the same scenes as a ride itself. The restaurant must be an extension of the story rather than an immersive recap of the ride.

BOG restaurant gets away with this because you actually are IN the castle while you are eating.

HMF

I got into a long debate with the resident HM experts (you might have been part of it) when the queue first was added about the tone and when the ghosts should be revealed. It was informative, but neither side budged...nothing has changed.
Well, arguably the biggest HM Expert in the world @HBG2 used to post here around the time the queue debuted. But he was chased off the site by the really hard-core pixie dusters at the time. It's a shame too as I would like to hear his take on this whole thing.

tl77

I think the Haunted Mansion should have more than just a restaurant, it should have equivalent of Caribbean Plaza around it, with a Tortuga Tavern, Stage Show, treasure hunt/ghost hunt, ghost face painting... and there's plenty of room to add these kinds of things to the north of the ride entrance and west of the show building (circled in red)
Screen-Shot-2014-12-14-at-6.03.09-PM.png

HMF

I think the Haunted Mansion should have more than just a restaurant, it should have equivalent of Caribbean Plaza around it, with a Tortuga Tavern, Stage Show, treasure hunt/ghost hunt, ghost face painting... and there's plenty of room to add these kinds of things to the north of the ride entrance and west of the show building (circled in red)
Screen-Shot-2014-12-14-at-6.03.09-PM.png
No, That would take away the vibe of a colonial Manor House and expand the painful self-referencing mentality of PLQ and despite my disillusionment with this countries direction I am not willing to throw Liberty Square out and turn the whole area into Mansion-Land. Building the restaurant on the PLQ site and extending back into the vacant land next to the ROA is what they should do.
New Restaurant goes in black circle. The queue will obviously have to be re-designed to separate restaurant traffic from Attraction traffic.
full

Last edited:

Rich T

Gut reaction: I love Haunted Mansion, but ghosts, corpses, cobwebs etc. don't make me hungry. Like, ever. The food offerings would have to be super-over-the-top-once-in-a-lifetime themed (an attraction in themselves) to even put this on my radar if I was planning a trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom