Haunted Mansion Refurb.

Simba1

I have not heard about the new Omnimover track, possibly new omnimovers, but not track. The new bride (constance), and the new Leota effect are both very possible. Sound is most definately of priority in this attraction. As a matter of fact, they've already started to fix the sound, 3 doombuggies at a time, until it's done or the rehab starts, whichever comes first. All audio that is not fed to the vechiles probally won't be fixed until the rehab time period.

Just throwing this out there...

My information concerning the replacement of the omnimover track comes from a long-time Mansion CM whom I trust very much (as I did my CP at the Mansion.) Therefore, I have no reason to doubt what she said. I guess only time will tell...

DisneyDellsDude

I can't wait to see what they do! I hope that they do add some new great effects. It would be nice if we get somethings that Disneyland has, but I hope we get different things also.

Master__Gracey

I don't see them wanting to pull it in june. They get alot of people and it's a major attraction. The January start would be them most logical and it wouldn't interfere with halloween either. I just can't see taking it down during a busy period like that, and risking the miss of the start of october if there's any lateness. I of course don't know what they're planning, but it doesn't seem to make too much sense. :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They didn`t want to pull it in June; originally it was to have been completed by summer. Other `reasons` have caused the delay, and have had a knock on effect all over the MK.

Fried Chicken

Oh come on now people. Who cares if one attraction is closed during the summer month? 1 attraction?

Space Mountain over in Disneyland was closed for two summer seasons and new years seasons.

bayoutinkbelle

I'll be there in late June and will be disappointed if it's not opened, but I'll be cool with it. Bottom line, HM needs some TLC. If I have to sacrifice a few rides this summer to get a refurbed HM, I'll walk by this summer and smile. I eagerly await news!

And if the Imagineers would just put in that chute that snatches people away the instant they start taking flash pictures on the ride (any dark ride, really), I'll really be happy. :D It's my Disney pet peeve and it always seems to happen when I'm on HM.

Rob562

Just throwing this out there...

My information concerning the replacement of the omnimover track comes from a long-time Mansion CM whom I trust very much (as I did my CP at the Mansion.) Therefore, I have no reason to doubt what she said. I guess only time will tell...

I'm not doubting that you were told this by a CM, but I don't think it'll happen. First, tearing out the track and replacing it is a very large undertaking. Four months isn't enough time for it. Second, I doubt there's a need for it. True, I haven't been to WDW in over a year, but the track is very smooth throughout. (Compare it to Spaceship Earth's track, though I've heard that SE's "clunking" may be caused by the vehicles and not the track itself) Yes, the cars rotations in a few places are a bit jerky, but that's more due to the tolerances in the wheel systems on the car, and not the track itself. I could, perhaps, see them replacing all the motors along the track, but I think there's only 10-12 of those, and those are probably a one-night swap-out item.

So unless there's some underlying structural issues (as there were with the Space Mountain track in Disneyland), I don't think there will be any track replacement in the refurbishment.

-Rob

shutupdeedee

I had posted something back in December about the extensive refurb that was to take place with HM. Many shot it down, I was just simply reporting back what an HM cast member had told me around 3 in the morning during an EMH night. He claimed the ring was removed in order to build a "real" story line. The Horseless carriage was possibly going to be auctioned off. The stretching room paintings were going to the smithsonian and were going to be replaced with ones that were much cheaper to fix should they tear. All of the sound was going to digital, and going to be much more intense. Many of the effects were going to change and become significantly scarier, he claimed that our new HM would more resemble Phantom Manor in Paris. This member stated that nearly everything was on the chopping block with the exception of the track and the ride vehicles (doombuggies staying the same). I asked..."wont this tick off some Purists?",,,,he agreed and said that it was the imagineers decision to not tweak Disneyland's version much away from the original story line...but our beloved HM would get an entire new face....Also he told me that they had been doing walkthroughs everynight for the past month (this was in late December) and that they were given a HARD open date Sept. 22 (or somewhere close to that)......This is really the truth as to what I heard...now, if it is actually TRUE I dont know.

All I'm saying is that not even the managers in adventureland/liberty square know whats going on yet. No one realllyyyy knows when its going down. There are a lot of cast members that think they know whats going to happen. But, they are really only going by rumors. Example: If we went by the castmember rumormill mansion would be down by Feb 1st and so would Jungle.

I'm thinking they have to get it open by the Halloween Parties. What's MNSSHP without Mansion?

What really happen to the ring:
There were some workers fixing some cracks in the pavement one day and a cast member told them to cover up the ring. Just to be mean I guess..?? I really don't know why this castmember did it. But thats the story of why the ring was covered. TADA! :animwink:

mrerk

Premium Member
Despite what many people would have you think, when you consider it for a moment, the HM is in remarkably good condition for it's age. Think about it...that ride is nearly 40 years old. And for that ENTIRE span of time, save for the regularly scheduled periods of maintenance, it's ran pretty much nonstop every single day it's been open (i'd say on the order of 75% of the time) from 1971 - now. You homeowners out there will appreciate the logic in this - think about how hard it is to keep something like a house from reverting back to it's elemental components, and then consider the fact that a ride like the HM has got thousands of moving parts and all kinds of systems and subsystems that need to be kept operational. The fact that we're nitpicking over warped wallpaper that is barely noticable to the average guest is a testament to the quality of the original attraction and the hard work done constantly to maintain it.

Of course, once enough time elapses it's time for a major refurb, which is what's about to happen. Just about time, and I'm happy the company is willing to put money into it to make it a really amazing attraction by the standards of today...which are astronomical. I find that people are very hard to impress these days. Wait till they get a load of what Disney's got up their collective sleeve!

Does anyone know the track length and the ride cycle time? I'd like to know how many miles the attraction has logged in the last 36 years.

Animaniac93-98

The ride cycle time is 7 minutes. The track length is probably 840 feet, based on the fact the the doom buggies go 2 feet per second.

My only concern is what Halloween parties will miss having the Mansion? Since they start doing them as early as mid September, would it be possible to reopen the Mansion for party hours and do refurbishment work during regular park hours?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone know the track length and the ride cycle time? I'd like to know how many miles the attraction has logged in the last 36 years.
From Doombuggies.com:

3. Capacity A. 2,618 guests per hour (based on loading) B. Two guests in every car, every 3 seconds (cars are spaced every 6.0 feet with cars travelling at a speed of 2 feet a second (1.364 miles per hour).

4. Cycle Time: (Cars from one point back to that point again) Average 6 min.

5. Guests per minute: 41.38.

6. Length of the track: 786 feet.

7. Number of carriages: 131.

jedimaster1227

I had posted something back in December about the extensive refurb that was to take place with HM. Many shot it down, I was just simply reporting back what an HM cast member had told me around 3 in the morning during an EMH night. He claimed the ring was removed in order to build a "real" story line. The Horseless carriage was possibly going to be auctioned off. The stretching room paintings were going to the smithsonian and were going to be replaced with ones that were much cheaper to fix should they tear. All of the sound was going to digital, and going to be much more intense. Many of the effects were going to change and become significantly scarier, he claimed that our new HM would more resemble Phantom Manor in Paris. This member stated that nearly everything was on the chopping block with the exception of the track and the ride vehicles (doombuggies staying the same). I asked..."wont this tick off some Purists?",,,,he agreed and said that it was the imagineers decision to not tweak Disneyland's version much away from the original story line...but our beloved HM would get an entire new face....Also he told me that they had been doing walkthroughs everynight for the past month (this was in late December) and that they were given a HARD open date Sept. 22 (or somewhere close to that)......This is really the truth as to what I heard...now, if it is actually TRUE I dont know.

This major overhaul won't happen to our version anytime soon. After the success of Pirates of the Caribbean's transition into the present day, many of the Imagineers working on MK-based projects have taken the view of "If its not broken, don't fix it- just upgrade it." The current method is to update the attractions so that their most recognizable features and attributes don't disappear, but remain in a newer and better state.

Here is what has been confirmed for me:

1. Upgraded audio
  2. New Bride
  3. New Leota/Seance room upgrades
  4. Interactive Hitchhiking Ghosts
  5. Graveyard Scene recieves timing upgrades
  6. Gift Shop added to the exit
They didn`t want to pull it in June; originally it was to have been completed by summer. Other `reasons` have caused the delay, and have had a knock on effect all over the MK.

The consequences of the single delay really did put a tamper on the rest of the park's major rehab schedule... Well, there's always next year... :shrug:

CubsRock

Breaking News From Wikipedia

Future development
New props and effects are rumored to be added to the ride, to compliment the newly established scene in the attic. These effects include an improved version of the green spirit effect in the Seance Room. Also, the Hitchhiking Ghosts at the end of the ride will use more advanced animatronics, with more fluid and realistic movements. Also a "Ghost Disco Dance Room" is said to be added in 2008.:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :lol:

Funny thing that was on wikipedia under HM, ACTUAL.

Mansion Butler

From Doombuggies.com:

"3. Capacity A. 2,618 guests per hour (based on loading) B. Two guests in every car, every 3 seconds (cars are spaced every 6.0 feet with cars travelling at a speed of 2 feet a second (1.364 miles per hour).

4. Cycle Time: (Cars from one point back to that point again) Average 6 min.

5. Guests per minute: 41.38.

6. Length of the track: 786 feet.

7. Number of carriages: 131."

Three, four and seven are wrong. Pretty far off, in fact. I assume five and six are, too.

Might be Disneyland.

Mansion Butler

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind if attractions are down during my vacations especially if they are being improved upon and made significantly better. This also could be because I'm a former CM whose family still goes to Disney 2 or 3 times per year..... But either way it's good to see the mansion getting the TLC it needs. Last time I rode in in December, none of the screaming heads were screaming, and some weren't even moving.

Yeah, see, I don't care anymore because I go there so much. If I didn't, though, I would care. I'd understand, but I'd hate for it to be while I'm there.

Especially if I'm not going to benefit from the better attraction. I was only there once between '92 and '01, and Space Mountain was down. Imagine you go, maybe for the only time in 10 years, maybe ever, and a major attraction is down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom