Haunted Mansion Refurb to be dissapointing

scottnj1966

California and Florida might as well be two different countries. I have been to both parks and the people, the feelings, the attitudes, and the parks are so different. I do not think all things that work in one state would work in another.
Of course there are exceptions to that statement also.

Disney World knows that they get new people from all over the world. MK could have stayed the same and those people would have loved it.

Disneyland seems to get more of a local crowd of repeat guests. Change needs to happen for them to come back.

Thats my two cents.

BwanaBob

If by "accurate statement" you mean completely made up....

The intent of my post was to say that I believe the fundamental message of the prior post... and that it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I feel that due to WDW's size and popularity, it seems that less is done.

However, I see how that can be a poor interpretation, especially when one compares 1 park vs. 4, and an entire resort vs. a couple of city blocks.

With all due respect, I retract my comment... and will once again yeild my time to the esteemed ladies & gentlemen who know far more than do about the Mouse.

...sorry. I'll go back to being an observer now. :)

pcf1385

I don't post much, and I know that people will hate me for saying this, as I've said it before, but this is a vacation destination we are talking about, not the infrastructure or support of the nation or a city. Could haunted mansion use a refurb, sure, but am I going to get my panties in a bunch if it doesn't get everything dl's got, no. Unless you work for the company and have a vested interest in attendance and guest happiness, why get all bent out of shape over what disney does or doesn't do. I'm one of those people who only gets to go once a year and doesn't notice every problem at the parks and is frankly just happy to be there. The fact that there should be something wrong with disney fans not demanding disney give us updates and upgrades on everything is beyond me, but that's just my personal view. There are so many terrible things that happen in the world everyday that the last thing that I am going to get really ticked about is wdw doing everything that dl does. Let's all keep this light and fluffy and remember that it's vacation, not a UN summit and we should just go and do what we like, avoid what we don't and have a good time. :wave:

Sir_Cliff

It is very difficult to compare the Anaheim and Orlando mindset. The finances necessary to keep an entire resort and four theme parks fresh in no way compares to the much smaller California resort. The idea of keeping everything fresh in California is more important as the majority of their guests are repeat locals. The WDW resort is a worldwide vacation destination and, in all honesty, can get away with less frequent updates.

Not that I agree with WDW management, but the comparisons simply aren't fair and attractions cannot be compared at face value.

Well, yes, but it's also true that the money DL brings in pales in comparison to what WDW brings in. If more hotels, more parks and more side additions like water parks and retail areas means more money then what you're saying shouldn't be an issue unless the additional revenue brought in by each new investment isn't covering the extra cost involved. I suspect they believe they're at least close to the point of diminishing returns considering the vastly different messages being sent out by DL and WDW management about future additions (to which I assume Enderikari hasn't been paying attention), but I would be amazingly surprised if the poor upkeep at MK has to do with there being less money to work with than at DL. The management culture just seems different, and that's also reflected in the holiday decorations at WDW compared to DL and the lack of the little cosmetic improvements to all the different lands that at DL have combined to add layer upon layer of detail over the years. The idea of the parks as a 'show' seems to have disappeared at WDW in favour of a colder approach based on revenue and attendence numbers (which, of course, are important in both approaches). They therefore seem to understand the need to build new attractions and build them up to Disney standards to attract guests in the first place, but don't seem to understand the need to keep them bright and fresh once the initial marketing campaign is over.

I strongly suspect that your other points which basically amount to them knowing they can get away with doing less than at DL are at the heart of it. I'm also sure they're correct in the short-term that they can get away with slackening upkeep standards (as did DL for quite a few years) without hurting attendence, but it's a worrying culture to be fostering down there in Florida which is very much not in keeping with the culture on which the Disney parks were built and which created the reputation that keeps guests streaming into both resorts. That said, this rehab is at least a step in the right direct as was the Small World rehab.

Oh, and gracias to those who've been kind about a few things I've written! :)

jmvd20

Honestly, how much has the general maintenance at WDW faltered over the last deacde? Is upkeep really worse now than in 1990 - or does it just appear that way due to the fact that we have people posting pictures of chipped paint an hour after it is spotted.

So is it worse, or do we just know every little thing that is wrong at WDW because it is posted instantly?

Sir_Cliff

So is it worse, or do we just know every little thing that is wrong at WDW because it is posted instantly?

I don't know that there's really a problem with chipped paint and things like that as WDW is generally pretty good on external maintenance, it's more about attractions getting rundown, not being fixed or updated, etc.

jmvd20

I don't know that there's really a problem with chipped paint and things like that as WDW is generally pretty good on external maintenance, it's more about attractions getting rundown, not being fixed or updated, etc.

I know this is the area most people are referring to. Unfortunately I only get to WDW about once a year. To me it seems as if numerous attractions are always being cleaned up, refurbed, repainted everytime we are there.

Last year while we were there POTC was closed for the refurb, the Riverboat was done for repairs/upgrades and the Seas was being re-done. LMA and EE were basically only a few months old when we went. Nemo at AK was under construction, DTD and PI had major work going on, the post show at SSE was under construction.

Realistically how much more could they be doing? That list right there is a HUGE amount of work and money as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just as an example - when PotC closed for it`s rehab there were holes in the show scene walls and ceiling. Numerous effects had broken, the lighting was being patched up just to keep it going, and the audio was failing. If maintainence had been ongoing it wouldn`t have gotten to this stage.

As it was, management - against the wishes of WDI - reopened the attraction when it wasn`t ready. They`ve been playing catch up ever since, not to mention the items that were planned but were pulled from the rehab due to time and money shortcomings from Orlando, not Burbank.

Dragonrider1227

I don't care if it's not as good as Disneyland. I just want to be able to see everything and hear the ghost host. The rest can wait in MY opinion. I'm just annoyed that
1. they're closing it on the summer we're going
2. it took them this long to do it
3. they're doing it in summer at all. Why are they closing such a popular attraction for the whole summer? Wouldn't they be better off doing this during the less popular times of the year like after new years or such?

TP2000

I don't care if it's not as good as Disneyland. I just want to be able to see everything and hear the ghost host.

It's been said that expectations are different between Florida guests and Anaheim guests. This is a good example of that. Although it's kind of sad that the standards Florida visitors now hope for are this low. :eek:

WDWFigment

I don't post much, and I know that people will hate me for saying this, as I've said it before, but this is a vacation destination we are talking about, not the infrastructure or support of the nation or a city. Could haunted mansion use a refurb, sure, but am I going to get my panties in a bunch if it doesn't get everything dl's got, no. Unless you work for the company and have a vested interest in attendance and guest happiness, why get all bent out of shape over what disney does or doesn't do. I'm one of those people who only gets to go once a year and doesn't notice every problem at the parks and is frankly just happy to be there. The fact that there should be something wrong with disney fans not demanding disney give us updates and upgrades on everything is beyond me, but that's just my personal view. There are so many terrible things that happen in the world everyday that the last thing that I am going to get really ticked about is wdw doing everything that dl does. Let's all keep this light and fluffy and remember that it's vacation, not a UN summit and we should just go and do what we like, avoid what we don't and have a good time. :wave:

Everyone needs something to be passionate about. There are people out there who used to fret over the release of specific Beanie Babies. Just because the things you care about are not tantamount to warfare does not mean they are not important. Further, I think people have a right to expect certain things from what they invest their money in (they don't have a right to demand things from WDW, because hey, they could just take their money elsewhere). Since we vacation there, we also have a vested interest in seeing the park look nice. You can't neglect your passions just because there are more colossal things going on in the world.

TP2000

I agree. I think both California and Florida are doing a good job in keeping the exteriors and overall amenities in good shape.

But Disneyland is doing a much better job in keeping old shows maintained well, adding in new special effects as newer technology becomes available, and maintaining everything from the latest E Ticket to a 40 year old dark ride in the same top condition.

It's the showmanship and special effects, or lack thereof, at WDW that have really let the place down. I mean honestly, since it opened in 1975 what have they done to Space Mountain aside from swapping out sponsorship exhibits at the exit? What have they done to the Haunted Mansion since 1971? In the same amount of time Disneyland's Space Mountain has had three major updates and major reworking of the special effects, while the Haunted Mansion has had a growing list of plusses and updates and new technology added to the original 1969 show.

The same can be said of Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, StorybookLand Canal Boats, Autopia, etc. Historically they just invest a lot more into showmanship on all manner of rides and attractions at Disneyland than they've been doing at WDW, and it really shows.

And then there's the whole topic of seasonal decorations and Holiday overlays! That's a topic where the differences between Disneyland and WDW are even more striking. :eek:

jmvd20

Everyone keeps mentioning that existingrides at DL get updated more often than those at WDW. I do not disagree with that, however what if we take into consideration all the new attractions WDW has received compared to DL in recent times? Does DL evenb come close to WDW in terms of brand new additions?

WDW stays fresh because of new attractions as well as the re-furbs. It seems to me that DL gets more ride updates because they get fewer new attractions.

pcf1385

Everyone needs something to be passionate about. There are people out there who used to fret over the release of specific Beanie Babies. Just because the things you care about are not tantamount to warfare does not mean they are not important. Further, I think people have a right to expect certain things from what they invest their money in (they don't have a right to demand things from WDW, because hey, they could just take their money elsewhere). Since we vacation there, we also have a vested interest in seeing the park look nice. You can't neglect your passions just because there are more colossal things going on in the world.

Hello :wave: My point isn't that you can't be passionate about disney, but I think there's a difference (again this is my own personal view) between getting passionate and getting angry and viscious. That goes for people in both sides of any wdw argument, whether it be maintence or the classic dl vs. wdw debate. There are many people here who debate in civalized ways and voice their opinions without insulting other members, the average guest, or really without getting ( or semmingly without) getting angry at all. In comparing disney to other world issues, I'm only saying that since we are bombarded by the tragidies of the world in our regular lives, why get livid with disney and each other over park maintence or which park is better. Some of the arguments that people have or are having in this thread boil down to subjective things anyway, like what should be done in a hm rehab or again, the dl vs wdw debate, so there's no point in fighting because we all have our views and we are entitled to them. I just wish people could share such views without calling others stupid, poor wdw fans, or basically the reasson why the parks aren't xy or z. By all means, if the lack of a rehab has you bummed, right a letter or fill out a comment card, but then go on with your magical trip or day, because if the way disney is doing things is getting you down to the point where trips are no longer fun, then there's no point in you going anymore because it's no longer a relaxing vacation. :wave:

basas

Everyone keeps mentioning that existingrides at DL get updated more often than those at WDW. I do not disagree with that, however what if we take into consideration all the new attractions WDW has received compared to DL in recent times? Does DL evenb come close to WDW in terms of brand new additions?

WDW stays fresh because of new attractions as well as the re-furbs. It seems to me that DL gets more ride updates because they get fewer new attractions.

Well, not exactly. In the past 5 years, Disneyland Resort has gotten a new Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Turtle Talk with Crush, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Monsters Inc Mike and Sully to the Rescue, Buzz Lightyear, and are currently getting the new Nemo subs and Toy Story Mania.

We have twice as many parks so naturally get more attractions. But per capita, they really aren't getting less than the WDW parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom