Haunted mansion has reopened!

disneykw

Got to ride it today and it was fantastic. Far beyond my expectations. But sorry to spoil the high spirits on the board here, but I'm the kind of person that can notice even the slightest thing wrong, it's just my nature I guess. Does anyone else on here notice the huge tear on the scrim across from the singing busts or is it just me? :shrug: The tear has been there for as long as I can remember but it blows my mind that not one of all the hundreds of people that's walked through there in that long rehab have bothered to fix it yet.

GoofyMom2

We were at WDW this past weekend.....and had to leave Tuesday! :(

I had DH take a picture of me "crying" in front of the closed gates with the sign......when we were taking the pictures I met 2 wonderful fans who had rearranged their trip schedules to be there for opening....wish I could have done that!

sleepybear

The gargoyles do not come to life, nor will they. But, there are plenty of great added sound effects to not really need them! :)

I'll have video (regular and nightshot) along with a bunch of pictures (whoops, did my flash go off?) and binaural audio (to get the feeling of the new stretch room audio) very soon. Gimme an hour or three.

Fantastic video, Ricky. Great job. Can't wait until I can see the changes in person in December. (Oh, and I love your podcast. Keep up the good work.)

Rob562

But sorry to spoil the high spirits on the board here, but I'm the kind of person that can notice even the slightest thing wrong, it's just my nature I guess. Does anyone else on here notice the huge tear on the scrim across from the singing busts or is it just me? :shrug: The tear has been there for as long as I can remember but it blows my mind that not one of all the hundreds of people that's walked through there in that long rehab have bothered to fix it yet.

There is one "tear" in the scrim halfway through the graveyard scene that is there to provide access to an emergency exit. (note that there's a green "EXIT" sign right near it). The opening is about as hidden as they can make it from the view of the doombuggies. It's behind a crypt, and the cars generally are facing away from it toward the singing busts at that point. You need to be looking to your left, away from the focus of that scene to see it.

If there weren't access to an emergency exit here, the only exits would be at either end of the graveyard. One along the ride path as you leave, and the other out an exit door at the bottom of the downramp from the attic (your doombuggy rotates around so that you can't see that one unless you specifically lean out and look backwards).

I also doubt that they could secure the mid-scrim opening closed, because that would more than likely be considered blocking a fire exit. If the gap in the scrim weren't obvious in an emergency, you could have panicked Guests stumbling around trying to follow the lit exit sign to what looks like a solid black scrim. (Look at how many scenes play out on grade school stages across the country as kids in their school play or recital try to exit through the center of the curtain and end up pushing the curtain around trying to find it? Now imagine there's a raging fire and you HAVE to find that opening....)

So, that "tear" in the scrim will never be "fixed". Don't blame the Imagineers or maintenance for its existence. (Rather, you should *thank* them for its existence...)

-Rob

NCWDWFAN

One neat thing though - I got to walk back through a large portion of the ride with the lights on. Recorded in on my digital camera video setting. Not the greatest video but probably a once in a lifetime event.

Are you going to post your video to share with the rest of the class?:sohappy:

Got to ride HM last night and I was really impressed with the stretch room. I think that is probably my favorite update. Its a lot louder in there than it used to be and it looks great.

The ride has a whole different feel to it than it did before the rehab. It seems creepier than before. I loved it!

Can't wait to go ride it tomorrow...oooh and use the AP entrance! =)

RSoxNo1

So what was excluded from this rehab that was rumored, and what isnt' working yet that should be?

It looks like they did away of the feeling that bats are flying around, and are just using the bat sounds.

It seems that the rumored new pop up ghosts were not included, and with that - it doesn't appear that there will be a night time version of the ride either.

As for effects that weren't working, I'll assume that the disappearing heads in the attic will work eventually, and same with the ghost host's last spiel, "AAAH, There you are... one last thing I forgot to mention - BEWARE of hitchhiking ghosts."

wahine

Haunted Mansion

I see that the Mansion is complete. I was reading in a book that WDW may be planning a Halloween celebration for adults (to compete against Universal
Studios). Has anyone heard anything...nothing on the web site or when I called.

almandot

K so my friend who first noticed this and I are not sure we like a change in the mansion but I'm not sure I should care about it either.. No one's brought it up on any web forums I check but they've changed several of the voices in the graveyard. Things like the opera ghost, executioner, etc.. They're brand new voices with new delivery.. And while I'm sure the audio quality is much better than the original tapes which may have been the reason for this, Disneyland's sound system isn't exactly a sound system to scoff at and that stuff sounds fine over here. I wonder what prompted them to feel the need to replace it is all. The executioner's voice in particular was unique and husky, and the new guy wasn't able to imitate it at all so it's just a random deep voice now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
As for effects that weren't working, I'll assume that the disappearing heads in the attic will work eventually, and same with the ghost host's last spiel, "AAAH, There you are... one last thing I forgot to mention - BEWARE of hitchhiking ghosts."

Yep the attic pictures are being worked on, along with the audio/lighting fine tuning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom