Haunted Mansion experience

Magenta Panther

Because that's the ride system Disney chose, knowing full well it would have to slow down or stop if someone needed assistance boarding or disembarking. As I said before, I've been riding it since 1969, and it's *always* had the "playful spooks" stop as part of the experience that happens at least once per ride more often than not. And, since Day 1, Disney has welcomed those who need assistance because Walt Disney wanted as many people of all ages, races, nationalities and physical abilities to be able to experience his attractions as possible. I'd even bet he listened to people who couldn't ride the submarines and made a conscious effort to make sure future attractions would be more inclusive. This is not "Disrespect" for the mansions; it's the way they were designed. What *can* be improved is the stop experience for riders through more imaginative onboard audio and maybe even unique e-stop special effects.

Um, golly, if stopping-and-starting the HM in order to accommodate some people is what Walt anticipated, you'd THINK he'd have come up with "more imaginative onboard audio and maybe even unique e-stop special effects" in the first place. Sorry, not buying that excuse. I think Walt focused on the HM's narrative first, (or perhaps his Imagineers; I don't know how much input he really had into the finished HM, as he died before its completion) and supplied a "playful spooks" audio in case of ride stoppages due to malfunction. A ride that starts and stops up to 5 times and more per run due to some people just HAVING to inconvenience everybody is not a ride designed for that accommodation. I think that neither Walt nor his Imagineers could have imagined the egregious level of entitlement and inconvenience PC culture would demand of everyone. It's like the battleship-sized strollers some guests feel they're entitled to wheel through the park and bang everyone's shins with. The poor-show aspect of stopping and starting the HM is fricking unfair to park guests who may only experience the park and HM once in their lives. The rational and fair thing would to post signs outside the HMs that say that the rides cannot accommodate certain guests, and leave it at that. But then Iger and his minions only care about shoving as many bodies through the attractions as they can, and to hell with the actual ride experience. People should stop making excuses for that type of greed IMO. My last experience on WDW's HM was such that I don't know if I'll ever ride it again. The constant stop-and-start annoyance, added to the horrible new cluttered claustrophobic queue AND the lame blurry Hitchhiking Ghost cartoon at the ride's end have just about killed my one-ardent affection for the ride. What a terrible way to degrade a classic!

Magenta Panther

It doesn’t deserve to be a thing, I would agree with that. Nightmare deserves its own house for its own attraction. I don’t like how Mansion is down for weeks and weeks each year just to have a foreign version take over for months.

I say get rid of it and come up with a new concept for Nightmare.

I for one don't get the affection for the Nightmare film. If that's Tim Burton's best, I'd hate to see his worst.

Oh wait, I saw his Alice in Wonderland...:depressed:

PiratesMansion

If the overlay was just November and December, I think most people would have no issue with it. Somehow all of the other overlays are fine being "only" two months long.

But for one of the defining Disney attractions to be out of commission for an overlay that is objectively inferior artistically (not that that's hard; few things stand up to original Mansion in the United States) and actively fights, rather than works with (a la Small World Holiday), the style of the original ride, rankles many people, understandably.

PiratesMansion

umm.. yes? Think about that for a quick sec. It pulls in crowds, therefor it deserves to stay.

I think the overall point is that just because people like something doesn't necessarily mean it belongs or is right for a given place.

A baby might have more fun playing with a box than with a toy, but would you give the baby a box for Christmas instead of a toy?
You might enjoy the taste and convenience of fast food, but should you eat it every day?
If the movie preview inside the Lincoln theater proves popular, does it deserve to stay?

Popularity itself should not be the only or primary justification for decisions. Especially for a place like Disneyland where at one time great care was taken to make sure everything fit as part of a greater whole. If nothing flows together and it's all flavor of the day it might as well be Six Flags.

Mac Tonight

I think the overall point is that just because people like something doesn't necessarily mean it belongs or is right for a given place.

A baby might have more fun playing with a box than with a toy, but would you give the baby a box for Christmas instead of a toy?
You might enjoy the taste and convenience of fast food, but should you eat it every day?
If the movie preview inside the Lincoln theater proves popular, does it deserve to stay?

Popularity itself should not be the only or primary justification for decisions. Especially for a place like Disneyland where at one time great care was taken to make sure everything fit as part of a greater whole. If nothing flows together and it's all flavor of the day it might as well be Six Flags.

giphy.gif

Californian Elitist

umm.. yes? Think about that for a quick sec. It pulls in crowds, therefor it deserves to stay.

Do you enjoy picking on me all the time?

You call me questioning your opinion and trying to understand your thoughts “picking on” you? Oh my...

I would suggest you also think about it for a quick sec. Lots of things pull in crowds at the parks. That doesn’t mean these things are of great quality and should therefore be kept in the parks. Pixar Pier and Guardians are perfect examples.

Californian Elitist

Yeeep. Exactly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom