Haunted Mansion experience

PiratesMansion

actually due to hmh the mansion gets a lot more regular matience and care than Disneyworld's version
Actually I'd say that Haunted Mansion is the one attraction usually in better shape at WDW. I've had way more issues with lighting, audio not working in the doom buggies, etc. at DL than MK. It very much seems like for HMH they just cart the props in, and cart them out, but otherwise ignore the attraction most of the time. I'd wager very little of that time is spent on actual refurbishment and maintenance.

Phroobar

Actually I'd say that Haunted Mansion is the one attraction usually in better shape at WDW. I've had way more issues with lighting, audio not working in the doom buggies, etc. at DL than MK. It very much seems like for HMH they just cart the props in, and cart them out, but otherwise ignore the attraction most of the time. I'd wager very little of that time is spent on actual refurbishment and maintenance.
True. They usually leave the Mansion a mess after HMH. Lots of ceiling tiles missing. Holes in the walls. Audio missing or messed up. Lighting completely wrong. It takes them months to fix it after. Just because the roustabouts are removing the overlay doesn't mean they fix anything.

Magenta Panther

The idea that it's fun for the Mansion to be stopped and restarted several times during a ride, thus destroying its carefully-written narrative, is pathetic. Should EVERY ride at a Disney park be stopped and restarted in order to accommodate everyone? Thank god that's impossible for rides like the Tower of Terror in WDW. And even in the desecrated raccoon-infested former Tower in Disneyland.

I first visited WDW as a little kid, and rode the Mansion a bunch of times over a week's stay. Not once did it stop. Glorious! I even remember standing in the foyer as the storytelling began, with the portrait slowly changing a la Dorian Gray, instead of being rushed through and packed into the stretching room. What the hell changed? Why are the Mansions being so disrespected as to their original function, and why are most guests asked to endure a lesser experience at grossly-high park prices?

Rich T

The idea that it's fun for the Mansion to be stopped and restarted several times during a ride, thus destroying its carefully-written narrative, is pathetic. Should EVERY ride at a Disney park be stopped and restarted in order to accommodate everyone? Thank god that's impossible for rides like the Tower of Terror in WDW. And even in the desecrated raccoon-infested former Tower in Disneyland.

I first visited WDW as a little kid, and rode the Mansion a bunch of times over a week's stay. Not once did it stop. Glorious! I even remember standing in the foyer as the storytelling began, with the portrait slowly changing a la Dorian Gray, instead of being rushed through and packed into the stretching room. What the hell changed? Why are the Mansions being so disrespected as to their original function, and why are most guests asked to endure a lesser experience at grossly-high park prices?
Because that's the ride system Disney chose, knowing full well it would have to slow down or stop if someone needed assistance boarding or disembarking. As I said before, I've been riding it since 1969, and it's *always* had the "playful spooks" stop as part of the experience that happens at least once per ride more often than not. And, since Day 1, Disney has welcomed those who need assistance because Walt Disney wanted as many people of all ages, races, nationalities and physical abilities to be able to experience his attractions as possible. I'd even bet he listened to people who couldn't ride the submarines and made a conscious effort to make sure future attractions would be more inclusive. This is not "Disrespect" for the mansions; it's the way they were designed. What *can* be improved is the stop experience for riders through more imaginative onboard audio and maybe even unique e-stop special effects.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not really sure why users on here despise HMH? It's one thing to dislike the amount of time it operates per year, but to say that HMH is a terrible experience? Come on. It's a better re-skin then M:B / Incredicoaster, and those are permanent!

Rich T

Not really sure why users on here despise HMH? It's one thing to dislike the amount of time it operates per year, but to say that HMH is a terrible experience? Come on. It's a better re-skin then M:B / Incredicoaster, and those are permanent!
While enjoyable, it's inferior to the regular Mansion experience and overstays its welcome. It's not like Disney needs it to cram even more people into the park. I wish Disney would just pony up the money and create a permanent year-round NBC ride.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
While enjoyable, it's inferior to the regular Mansion experience and overstays its welcome. It's not like Disney needs it to cram even more people into the park. I wish Disney would just pony up the money and create a permanent year-round NBC ride.

But you did admit it was enjoyable ;) I personally love it, and I love Haunted Mansion. I think there's room for both.

Unlike Ghost Galaxy / Hyperspace / any other re-skin they've been doing, this is one I appreciate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly don't think a year-round NBC would be as popular as some people think, except to a small dedicated group of guests. The reason, in my opinion, why HMH is so popular is because its only here for a limited time each year.

Californian Elitist

But to say it's awful? It doesn't deserve to be a thing?

It doesn’t deserve to be a thing, I would agree with that. Nightmare deserves its own house for its own attraction. I don’t like how Mansion is down for weeks and weeks each year just to have a foreign version take over for months.

I say get rid of it and come up with a new concept for Nightmare.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I can’t stand Nightmare Before Christmas yet I enjoy that overlay a lot more than I thought I would. It changes things up as a fairly frequent guest

Absolutely! Excluding the gothic kids it's breeded and gothic-"cool"ness of the film, I do think NBC is a well made movie.

Thankfully HMH doesn't follow NBC, it simply borrows the characters for the narration it's trying to give. That and the soundtrack is fantastic, from the music box heard from the exterior, to the graveyard scene "we wish you a scary Christmas" :D

It doesn’t deserve to be a thing, I would agree with that. Nightmare deserves its own house for its own attraction. I don’t like how Mansion is down for weeks and weeks each year just to have a foreign version take over for months.

I say get rid of it and come up with a new concept for Nightmare.

I see what you're saying but I'm inclined to agree with @Disney Irish Bruh - it probably wouldn't have a staying power like Mystic Manor or HM.

HMH deserves to stay for the Holidays. Thankfully i'm with the majority for once, as it continues to show its popularity every year.

Rich T

I honestly don't think a year-round NBC would be as popular as some people think, except to a small dedicated group of guests. The reason, in my opinion, why HMH is so popular is because its only here for a limited time each year.
Well...regarding popularity, HMH has the unfair advantage of being the only ride available for people who want to ride the Haunted Mansion. Even disappointed people who wish it was in "normal" mode will ride it as a consolation prize, if they won't be back at DL for a while.

NBC would definitely be more popular than Pooh (enter through a Holiday Tree in Critter Country) or Monsters Inc. Gut one of 'em! :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well...regarding popularity, HMH has the unfair advantage of being the only ride available for people who want to ride the Haunted Mansion. Even disappointed people who wish it was in "normal" mode will ride it as a consolation prize, if they won't be back at DL for a while.

NBC would definitely be more popular than Pooh (enter through a Holiday Tree in Critter Country) or Monsters Inc. Gut one of 'em! :D
I'm sure it would be more popular than both those.

Californian Elitist

I see what you're saying but I'm inclined to agree with @Disney Irish Bruh - it probably wouldn't have a staying power like Mystic Manor or HM.

HMH deserves to stay for the Holidays. Thankfully i'm with the majority for once, as it continues to show its popularity every year.

I’m curious to know why you think a stand-alone Nightmare wouldn’t be popular. Also, why does HMH “deserve” to stay for the holidays?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom