News Haunted Mansion closing for short refurbishment in August 2023

castlecake2.0

The original Hitchhiking Ghosts were much creepier and more authentic to the Mansion as compared to the cartoons we have now.

Anyone else agree?
Agreed 10000% the new one are obviously digital projection technology which immediately causes people to be less impressed by the effect. The previous version was more subtle and less in your face. Same with the digital face bride 😑

Disney Analyst

Madame Leota receives makeover at Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion​

Haunted-Mansion_Full_52608.jpg

Ooh, she must have hired a Drag Queen, that wig is a huge upgrade!

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Interesting that they actually did try to make her look more like she does in the new movie. Even more interestingly, they didn't mention the change at all. I suppose this was planned long before they realized the movie would flop at the box office. If it had been a hit, I wonder if they would have said something about it.

peter11435

Interesting that they actually did try to make her look more like she does in the new movie. Even more interestingly, they didn't mention the change at all. I suppose this was planned long before they realized the movie would flop at the box office. If it had been a hit, I wonder if they would have said something about it.
The changes to Leota have nothing to do with the movie

Animaniac93-98

I know they've been taking out and repainting the graveyard ghosts one-by-one over the past few years. How many are left now that the mummy is back?

yensidtlaw1969

I know they've been taking out and repainting the graveyard ghosts one-by-one over the past few years. How many are left now that the mummy is back?
The Coachman and the Duke and Duchess (at the Picnic Table) are currently out - but once they're back I believe all the Graveyard Ghost Animatronics will have been freshened up.

The big tell is the paint job - Any ghost who disappeared as part of this initiative came back a spooky Blue color, but prior to that all the Graveyard Ghosts had been painted with a mix of Greens and Blues during the 2007 Re-Haunting refurbishment. This is an old pic now, but compare the guy on the left in this pic (2007 color scheme) with the Center and Right (new color scheme). Anybody with the same sort of blue as the Center and Right figures has gotten a makeover somewhat recently:

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 9.00.09 PM.png

Animaniac93-98

The Coachman and the Duke and Duchess (at the Picnic Table) are currently out - but once they're back I believe all the Graveyard Ghost Animatronics will have been freshened up.

The big tell is the paint job - Any ghost who disappeared as part of this initiative came back a spooky Blue color, but prior to that all the Graveyard Ghosts had been painted with a mix of Greens and Blues during the 2007 Re-Haunting refurbishment. This is an old pic now, but compare the guy on the left in this pic (2007 color scheme) with the Center and Right (new color scheme). Anybody with the same sort of blue as the Center and Right figures has gotten a makeover somewhat recently:

View attachment 736970

I prefer the newer paint job. Looks more like how they do at Tokyo Disneyland.

yensidtlaw1969

I prefer the newer paint job. Looks more like how they do at Tokyo Disneyland.
It's remniscent of the original color scheme - the Graveyard Ghosts (and Attic Ghosts, for that matter) were all blue when the Mansions first opened. *Edited to add - the Attic Popups might have been an exception, not sure

Only downside for me is that they lay the paint on thicker these days - they used paint them in such a way that they still had a translucency to them, which let the innards of the Animatronics show through a bit and gave them a really ghostly, skeletal quality. The figures feel more solid now than they used to which feels a little less magical than when it was easier to see through them.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom