Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

It definitely looks better in person than in videos, but I wouldn't give it a pass on show quality just yet.

For one, it's very apparent now that the light source is behind the portrait and not coming from the lightning, which kind of ruins the entire effect to me. That's probably my biggest gripe.

Not to mention the ridiculous drapes, which I'm assuming were put in place to prevent light bleed from the LEDs? The original effect with the portraits hanging outward from ropes was much more effective. Who drapes curtains around small portraits? It just looks really odd.

I hope they get this one right soon, because I didn't think it looked good at all.

I fully understand the complexity of programming show lighting in an attraction, but this seems like it is taking an inordinate amount of time.... even for WDI.

Lol... That's a bit petty, Peter. She was at least an A.
Exactly! You don't put drapes over pictures! I have never seen that, ever. so i hope they go.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Exactly! You don't put drapes over pictures! I have never seen that, ever. so i hope they go.

Well... it's not uncommon to put black bunting over the portrait of someone deceased. Usually recently deceased or at a funeral service...

yensidtlaw1969

Well... it's not uncommon to put black bunting over the portrait of someone deceased. Usually recently deceased or at a funeral service...

View attachment 347025 View attachment 347026

View attachment 347027
^Was just about to say this - it is indeed a thing.

That said, I don't think it works here. Did all the subjects of these paintings JUST die? Also, one of them is a painting of a Ship . . . feels a little too much like adding the drapery was overthinking it, to me. The scene was dressed better before, without them.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Then again, we're talking HM, where very little makes sense and the FX range from spectacular to absurd or just downright broken.

Funereal bunting never removed from long-dead relatives is the least of HM's problems.

yensidtlaw1969

Then again, we're talking HM, where very little makes sense and the FX range from spectacular to absurd or just downright broken.

Funereal bunting never removed from long-dead relatives is the least of HM's problems.
I suppose that's true enough, it just feels like more of that overcrowding for its own sake that seems to dominate WDI set dressing these days. The fabric does more to distract from the effect than it does to add to the scene. Less can totally be more - like the way the Attic used to have enough bric-a-brac to tell you it was an attic, but not so much that the featured effects of the scene were swimming in props. Losing the forest for the trees.

tomast

CraftyFox

Breaking Rumor

A little bird told me that they have it on good authority that the new lightning effects on the portraits is to install an on-ride photo op.

Just a rumor at this point.

Taking a flash photo of every time an individual doom buggy passes by, out of the constant stream of doombuggies which are barely spaced apart seems a bit excessive.

justintheharris

on those you see that they are actually a painting... like in the older versions where you can actually see them hanging on the wall like actually hanging

pictures-png.342037

1547924365889-png.342038

the newer version just seem like a TV with sobre fabric on it.
screen-shot-2019-01-18-at-8-22-48-pm-png.341849
It still looks clearer, more colorful and contrasts nicely with the rest of the dark colorless show scenes. Yea yea I'm sure to some of you the dark colorless show scenes "fit the theme" more and I suppose that's right but it's one lighting effect and I really appreciate the update. It was harder to see the transformation in the previous version. Now it is very clear.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
And doesn't that kind of destroy the message in the Ghost Host's admonition about the spirits being frightened by flash photography?

Tongue in Cheek! Scene reworked at Hitchhiking Ghosts:

Phineas now donned in iconic Mickey Ears, clutches his heavily-labeled luggage bag revealing World Showcase's greatest destinations.
Ezra now carries a sign he waves back and forth which reads "Epcot or Bust!" :notice the Magicband on his wrist:
Gus holding a camera (strap dangling at his side) takes a flash photo at our doombuggies as we round the corner.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Maybe my eyes are going, maybe I’m just old. I seen this in December and did not see the portraits changing. Just a portrait with a flashing light. Just watched a video of it and I see the same thing. No changes to the skeletal look. Am I losing my mind? If I am please don’t answer that .

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Maybe my eyes are going, maybe I’m just old. I seen this in December and did not see the portraits changing. Just a portrait with a flashing light. Just watched a video of it and I see the same thing. No changes to the skeletal look. Am I losing my mind? If I am please don’t answer that .

The effect was being updated and during that update it wasn't working at all at times.

Kman101

I quite liked the brighter portraits. LOL. I don't obsess about some of these things.

I can see it being so they can snap a picture. I mean ... ok? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom