Haunted mansion candles, how do they do it

frank2271

Original Poster
Ok, how do they make the new candles in the mansion look so real??? Are they a technology that is available to the public? I'd love to get some for my home.

frank2271

Original Poster
I'm guessing I have stumped the experts??? The new candles are SO cool looking, the way the flame moves, not flickering but moving back and forth, really neat.

How do they do it???

Rob562

I'm guessing I have stumped the experts??? The new candles are SO cool looking, the way the flame moves, not flickering but moving back and forth, really neat.

How do they do it???

I'll try and look when I'm there next weekend...

EDIT: AHA! I have found it.
This is most likely what it used... (either this, or WDI's version of it)

http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo_ef01_candle_lite_kit.html
$45 *per flame*... (Or for $50 they sell a complete flame-and-candle unit)

Kind of like an effect I built in my theater for a graveyard scene, but we only did the glow of torches in wall holders, not candles... Inside each torch we had 3 colored light bulbs. One was on steady, the other two would randomly flicker. The effect was of a glow on the wall above that occasionally flickered brighter. It was great because as the scene opened, the torch glow and some moonlight were the only illumination to give a powerful effect, but then as the scene started some additional lights were brought up so the actors could actually be seen. The torches were always there, but the flickering wasn't a distraction.

-Rob

frank2271

Original Poster
Thanks Rob,

That looks really cool, I'm guessing it's the candle on the left in the video?? Pretty close, but sadly, no cigar. Take a look at them next week and let me know what you think. They have them in the new stairs to nowhere room and in Madam Leota's room. I swear the flame looks like it is moving in the wind. Slowly, moving... Great effect.

Thanks again and have a great time.

Frank

TheBeatles

Part of the effect of the candles in the Stair scene is the placement of fans on the ground that give the flame that wavy effect.

I can't remember exactly what the flame is made of, but it can't be anything too special if it's flimsy enough to move like that when a breeze is applied.

Rob562

OK, I looked on the one ride I was able to get on Mansion this trip (it was a whirwind weekend trip, most of my time was spent in Epcot, but I got a couple hours of EMH at the MK).

It did look like the candles with visible "flames" were some sort of flat flame-shaped cutout on a wick, lit by a bulb (or bulbs) from inside the candle itself. The "flame" then occasionally twisted. It wasn't clear whether it was from an outside fan blowing on it (as mentioned by TheBeatles), or if the wick itself was being turned around from inside the candle via motor.

-Rob

TheBeatles

It did look like the candles with visible "flames" were some sort of flat flame-shaped cutout on a wick, lit by a bulb (or bulbs) from inside the candle itself. The "flame" then occasionally twisted. It wasn't clear whether it was from an outside fan blowing on it (as mentioned by TheBeatles), or if the wick itself was being turned around from inside the candle via motor.

-Rob

The fans are there. I've walked through the Mansion with the lights on and seen them.

polf-k

Haunted mansion candles how do they do it

I seem to remember a little show called Disneyland, and when Walt and Ms. Disneyland Tencennial walked around they looked at both Pirates and the Haunted Mansion props, the effect they had on there was the same effect that they have brought to the paintings now, I think it is good that someone is paying attention to the classic works in Corporate Disney, they should do more of that. If you want to see what I am talking about I believe this segment is on the Haunted Mansion DVD, but dont

Rob562

I seem to remember a little show called Disneyland, and when Walt and Ms. Disneyland Tencennial walked around they looked at both Pirates and the Haunted Mansion props, the effect they had on there was the same effect that they have brought to the paintings now, I think it is good that someone is paying attention to the classic works in Corporate Disney, they should do more of that. If you want to see what I am talking about I believe this segment is on the Haunted Mansion DVD, but dont

The changing portraits were an effect that was developed and installed in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, and were there on its opening day. You see them as you walk down a hallway from the stretching rooms to the boarding area. (The busts that turn to follow you are also in this area in Disneyland)

The changing portraits were never used in the Florida version of the Mansion until the big refurb a couple years ago, when they were installed in the first corridor that used to have the simpler portraits whose eyes followed you. (Most of those eye-moving portraits are now in the boarding area)

-Rob

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I know in pirates, the fire effects are just sheets of fabric with a fan and lit from behind/bottom...some parts look good, other parts don't look very realistic.

Rob562

I know in pirates, the fire effects are just sheets of fabric with a fan and lit from behind/bottom...some parts look good, other parts don't look very realistic.

That's how they do the green fire in the Ballroom fireplace in the Mansion.

-Rob

raven

OK, I looked on the one ride I was able to get on Mansion this trip (it was a whirwind weekend trip, most of my time was spent in Epcot, but I got a couple hours of EMH at the MK).

-Rob

That's exactly how they are done. The bulbs are LEDs and the wick is just a tiny spring. When the moving air hits it they move. No motors needed! We were shown the effect up close on a backstage tour though the mansion with the lights on.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A thread bump I know, but this is on the web today at Disney and More blog:

And, as we are talking about Haunted House today, a great news for all Disney's Haunted Mansion fans revealed by the O.C.register yesterday as "a Newport Beach company, Candella LLC, has bought worldwide rights to develop and sell the illusory flickering candles in Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion.

President Peter Smith promises that these rechargeable, false-flame candles will be on the market by May under the name Dream Candles. The price will be comparable to real candles but last longer.

Disney Imagineer Gary Schnuckle created these LED candles specifically for the Haunted Mansion. But the false flame’s random movement and other details that make it realistic is more difficult than you’d think, which is why the flame illusion has numerous patents." You can read more about it in the O.C Register full article HERE and below the video interview of Peter Smith, President of Candella LLC where you'll see these magic candles!

Original article (scroll down): http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/02/d-innoventions-new-kind-of-haunted.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom