haunted manision secrets

CoffeeJedi

Now I realize that she is a widow. However, although she is grieving at her husbands death, it implies the man was actually killed by the wife with an ax. I just never noticed that before.
Yeah, that's who they're basing on "Constance", the newly murderous bride at the DL manse. The idea being that she murdered her husbands well into her old age, but now her spirit is trapped in the house, surrounded by their ghosts.

darthjohnny

Yeah, that's who they're basing on "Constance", the newly murderous bride at the DL manse. The idea being that she murdered her husbands well into her old age, but now her spirit is trapped in the house, surrounded by their ghosts.

Are you sure? I saw video of the version in Disneyland. The new bride is very young, and the widow in the portrait is very old.

CoffeeJedi

Are you sure? I saw video of the version in Disneyland. The new bride is very young, and the widow in the portrait is very old.
/shrug
no reason why your ghost would be the same age as you when you died?

just seems odd that there would be TWO axe-murdering widows in the story
(maybe that's Constance's mother?)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Did not see it mentioned, but another little item exclusive to the WDW HM is the statue of Mr. Toad in the pet cemetary as you exit the attraction.

celestia

With regard sto some of the HM facts, On the Keys to the Kingdom tour they explain that the mansion towers are chess Pieces.

You might be right as the CM that took us around was an idiot and dont know why he was doing the job! However he must've had the right information I think.

Unfortunately some of the Keys tours are Extreamly innacurate with some of their facts with mansion and jungle. There are a few though that get all their facts straight (and I applaud them! :sohappy: ) Some of what they say is disney folklore (such as the chesspieces) but that guests and enjoy. There really is no harm is saying they are chess pieces, just like how at jungle they say the canoes are resembling mickey, donald, and goofy. The guests enjoy it, it is up for their interpretation, even though it may not be the actual facts. Just like hidden mickeys, there are a lot less official ones than the unofficial ones that guests 'see', as I heard once, a hidden mickey is whatever you interpret as something resembling mickey mouse (official or not.) I guess we can say the same with the "chess pieces".

rbrower

I heard once that originally, the black crow throughout the ride was going to be your narator. That is why you see the crow (usually with the glowing eyes) throughout the ride. Then, they decided to get rid of that idea but they left the bird throughout the mansion. Can anybody tell me if this is true or not?

darthjohnny

I heard once that originally, the black crow throughout the ride was going to be your narator. That is why you see the crow (usually with the glowing eyes) throughout the ride. Then, they decided to get rid of that idea but they left the bird throughout the mansion. Can anybody tell me if this is true or not?

Yes I have heard that as well. Supposedly the Raven would be in a lot more places, like the stretching room where he would say that the ghost host "took the coward's way out." He would follow you throughout the ride like in right before the breathing door corridor by the dead man trying to pry himself out of his coffin and in Madame Leota's room. But Imagineering got rid of that idea during development. Hope that helps! :)

darthjohnny

I don't know if it is just me, but here's my thought on something in the Haunted Mansion:

I had an assignment to watch 2 film versions of Hamlet for English class. I picked the Mel Gibson and Laurence Olivier version.

If you know anything about Hamlet, you know that the ghost of the father shows up.

Well, in the Laurence Olivier version, the ghost looked incredibly similar to the decapitated, singing knight at the end of the graveyard scene in the Haunted Mansion. Does anyone know if the Imagineers drew inspiration from the film?

rbrower

I don't know if it is just me, but here's my thought on something in the Haunted Mansion:

I had an assignment to watch 2 film versions of Hamlet for English class. I picked the Mel Gibson and Laurence Olivier version.

If you know anything about Hamlet, you know that the ghost of the father shows up.

Well, in the Laurence Olivier version, the ghost looked incredibly similar to the decapitated, singing knight at the end of the graveyard scene in the Haunted Mansion. Does anyone know if the Imagineers drew inspiration from the film?
I don't know but that is a good question!

darthjohnny

I just read an older Disney Magazine, and it said that that widow in the painting is Widow Abigale Patecleaver, not "Constance." So I think the bride must be based on someone else.

disneygoof1

You know, it may seem sick, but I kind of chuckle when I hear things like this. I mean, it's natural selection working at its best.

You are told to stay seated, and there is a natural understanding that you're not supposed to get out of a CLOSED vehicle, while its moving, inside an attraction. I have absolutely zero sympathy for morons like that (if it even is true....not confirmed).

I happen to know that it is true, it happened when I was a CM there and my roommate worked on HM and was there that day, he said it really happened!

RobotWolf

I happen to know that it is true, it happened when I was a CM there and my roommate worked on HM and was there that day, he said it really happened!

The rope net was already up by the time I worked there in '86. Considering the age you state in your profile, its improbable that what you say is true. Its much more likely that your roommate was pulling your chain.

hth001

for anyone interested, the mansion's exterior is based, in part, on the Harry Packer Mansion in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania- near the poconos. It is currently a bed & breakfast that has been restored and is for sale.

Harry was the son of Asa Packer who built the mansion for his son. Asa is the founder of Lehigh University.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Right now, haunted mansion is closed for refurbishments and wont be open for a while? well that really stinks considering i am going to disney in 3 days. Hey wait, how is there no floor in the leota scene? if there isnt then how are the buggies moving? they cant float!

A raised track... kinda like a trestle (think flat rollercoaster )

k.hunter30

With regard sto some of the HM facts, On the Keys to the Kingdom tour they explain that the mansion towers are chess Pieces.

Our Keys to the Kingdom Guide also said that they were Chess Pieces, as the Imagineer was said to always have a few games of chess going.

That is EXACTLY what I was told by my Keys to the Kingdom Tour Guide (Rae)
Ditto - though I don't remember my guide's name.

WDWSwashbuckler

Ive been a HM fan since I was 10. But I'd still like to see the backstage areas and with the lights on. I don't think that I'd be dissapointed, just thrilled!

It's actually fairly disappointing. The double doors in the piano room, for instance, just lead to a storage room. There's a bunch of expired junk back there. If you walk far to your left in there, you'll find yourself standing in the ballroom. Otherwise, if you wander in deep in the lower level of the Mansion, it's just a bunch of wooden beams, cement walls, and junk from the Mansion laying around. It's nothing terribly special.

WDWSwashbuckler

I think the coolest thing very few people know about is the little outlook above the graveyard. If you go behind the bride in the attic, there's a crawlspace. If you go through there, there is this platform that overlooks the entire graveyard. There used to be a couch up there, apparently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom