Hate for childless Disney fans

Joebradley62

I'd define it more as confusion than hate. People think going to theme parks is fun, but they often don't seem to get why it's fun without kids. Like danyoung56 mentions, it's usually in good fun. It's more just weird looks or little comments than anything else.
There are those people who don't understand because they don't like to ride rides and think it is only for kids. I personally would hate to be those people. I like to have fun.

myrddin12

I admit, I used to wonder why on earth adults would go to Disney alone. Then after we took three trips there with our boys, and found we had said so many times "wouldn't it be nice to be able to do such and such a ride" (they were too short or scared) or "it would be so nice to see this show" (that they had no interest in), etc - we said, why not try it? So we went for a long weekend right after we both turned 45 - and we loved it! We have done it a few times since, and I have even gone by myself once. For me, Disney is a wonderfully fun escape from the everyday, and I don't know any single solitary parent who doesn't need an escape now and then... So I will never again say why would adults go to Disney without kids?!!

disneymom57

Lately I feel like I have been seeing more and more hate for those Disney fans that are childless. Between twitter and Facebook-I see people making fun of those adults who vacation at Disney without kids.

My husband and I do not have kids yet, and some of our favorite trips have been to WDW just the two of us. Of course we travel to other locations, but what’s so wrong about two adults enjoying Epcot or Animal Kingdom?

What thoughts do you have on the subject?
My husband and I for the past few trips have travelled without kids or grandkids, I thoroughly enjoy it, I do miss others with us but you have time to relax and enjoy the parks without the hustle and bustle of kids been bored or they don't like something or are tired and cranky. So I feel there's nothing wrong about two adults going it alone. Enjoy the time with each other.

Disneyfreak Jen

Ive done 5 solo trips, 6th is coming in 2019. I always get sideways glances from people...mostly co-workers. But I just laugh. They don’t know what they’re missing (fine by me....less people in line 😂) and I don’t bother trying to explain it anymore. I really couldn’t care less if they “understood “ me or not. <dole whip in hand skipping through life with mouse ears on>

John Holden

My goodness, people just don't get Disney at all if they say it's not a place for Adult vacations. We go every year and our kids are in their 30s. As vacation club members we enjoy endless things to explore, things to do and places to eat. It is inconceivable to me that adults don't get it. Cruises are restaurants on the water with lukewarm warm shows and activities. 30 years of attendance and it still excites me. I suspect the new generation does not get it. Most importantly, as an older adult I am treated very nicely, the security is unseen yet ever present and no need goes unattended. For us, it is relaxing and easy. Isn't that why we go on vacation?

DizzyT

My wife and I have been married 40 years with no kids or, as I tell people who ask, "We stopped at one kid -- me." ;) We go to WDW every year and have done that for the past 20 years. With any luck, we'll be doing it for the next 20 as well.

Why do we keep going back every year? Like most things it's not for any one reason but one of the main reasons is that this is a place I can truly relax and just be myself. I have a high stress job and the days we spend at WDW allow me to unwind in a way I can't do any place else. Also, there is just so much to do, different things to eat, shows to see, rides to experience, shops to visit, tours to enjoy, etc., etc., that each year is different.

We don't get any "hate" because of our annual visits but we certainly have gotten plenty of odd looks which I happily acknowledge. I will say that I have had instances where the same individual who initially gave me the "odd look" came to me for advice regarding their own forthcoming trip to WDW.

As others have said, WDW without kids means you can get up early (or sleep late), go to the parks (or not), have a shopping or pool day (or not): in brief, you can keep your own schedule.

Finally, we have taken our nieces to WDW twice when they were children and had a great time. We have also gone with adult friends and had a great time.

It's all good.

KRM

I don’t think it’s weird if people want to go to Disney childless. There is plenty to do. I would personally not want to be around that many kids if I was on a childless vacation with my partner. I do get annoyed with adults standing in line for meet and greets. I do not get the appeal at all.

mnemnoth

Lately I feel like I have been seeing more and more hate for those Disney fans that are childless. Between twitter and Facebook-I see people making fun of those adults who vacation at Disney without kids.

My husband and I do not have kids yet, and some of our favorite trips have been to WDW just the two of us. Of course we travel to other locations, but what’s so wrong about two adults enjoying Epcot or Animal Kingdom?

People who say that don't really know Disney. Who cares what social media says? I sure don't.

Jasperkitty

My husband and I have gone to both DisneyWorld, and Disneyland a good 10-12 times over the past 20 years. We don't have kids and love the chance to escape life for a while. When folks start in on it being for kids, we point blank tell them they don't know DisneyWorld, and that we have gotten better service than we have at some of the 4 and 5 star resorts we have been to through his work. The spas are top tier, 4-5 star restaurants, pools are kept clean, and lots of entertainment. We've been to Hiltons that didn't deliver as much.

And at Disney, my dairy allergy is a non-issue at meal times. There's always something I can eat, and I know they are extremely careful to keep me safe. That alone is worth gold to me when even a little bit of stray cheese can leave me doubled over for hours.

Besides, they have Figment. Even with the ride being not as good as the original, I still look forward to my favorite purple dragon!

Jedi Stitch

In my teens my Brothers and I would do Long weekend road trips to Disneyland. When I was Dating post High school I would take my girlfriends on trips to Disneyland. When I married My Wife Guess What Disney. I don't see a problem going to Disney with out kids. It is actually a game changer when you do. Now you have to think larger and more expensive. Plus you are paying for a full dining plan for nibblers. SO more power to the adults who do. Just don't think you can smoke and cuss while at the parks because it is family friendly entertainment.

Punzle

I love my sister's kids but taking them to Disney was what helped me realize I probably shouldn't have my own. Or if I do they'll have to stay home with their grandparents until they're old enough to ride all of my favorite rides!

Raineman

We definitely plan on visiting WDW without our daughter someday, most likely after she is grown and out on her own, and I totally understand how it would be a completely different experience without kids, but she is still at an age (12) that I couldn't imagine going to WDW without her-it wouldn't be as fun. We will be surprising our 14 year old niece next week with her first WDW trip, and I can't wait until she knows, so I can show her just how much of a WDW geek I am, and I especially can't wait until we are at WDW with her, and watch her experience it for the first time.

Rosanne

I have been with & without kids. A different experience each time. My wish is that they have an adults only night at Disney from 6 to midnight (NO ONE UNDER 18 once a month). I get tired of adults allowing their small children to run wild in Disney, bumping into people, whining, screaming, spilling drinks. Many years ago when the lines werent so long - the children were quiet or laughing they were so happy to be there. No they are tired and whining because of sitting in such long lines with so many people. (I get tired and whiny myself!)

Tomi-Rocket

I’ve been on trips with my husband only, with him and my two boys, on a buddy trip with my friend, and finally on solo trips. I do not care one bit what other people think. Quite frankly, I take issue with people whose children are obviously too grown for strollers. Do I think those people give a hoot about my opinion? Not one bit. YOU DO YOU AND ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT!! :cool:

Jerrod Keene

Ive gone just adults since we started going back once a year over the last 6 years. Now granted I just had my first child (little girl) I cant wait to take her when she's old enough but I do miss already my adults only trips. lol

DavidS1234

Ive done 5 solo trips, 6th is coming in 2019. I always get sideways glances from people...mostly co-workers. But I just laugh. They don’t know what they’re missing (fine by me....less people in line 😂) and I don’t bother trying to explain it anymore. I really couldn’t care less if they “understood “ me or not. <dole whip in hand skipping through life with mouse ears on>

That's the spirit! 😁👍👍

mikejs78

Premium Member
I have two boys and my wife and I love taking them to WDW - because we love it so much and went often just as a couple before kids. We honeymooned there in 2004, and went at least a half a dozen times just the two of us before we had kids. Both options are great, never let anyone tell you otherwise. And frankly it was that time before kids where we we really had the time to explore and really get an appreciation of WDW that we wouldn't have time for today, and now we can share that with our kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom