News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

JustInTime

FYI, they are waiting on a part for the candelabra. It will return.
Update from my post: the part arrived, the candelabra has been repaired and is fully functional.

Also - it’s as good a place as any to mention there are no plans at this time to revamp the attic scene with the new high tech floating Constance and window effect that Disneyland is getting.

I remain hopeful we will get the new DL Hitchhiking Ghost finale tech down the road, though.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
Update from my post: the part arrived, the candelabra has been repaired and is fully functional.

Also - it’s as good a place as any to mention there are no plans at this time to revamp the attic scene with the new high tech floating Constance and window effect that Disneyland is getting.

I remain hopeful we will get the new DL Hitchhiking Ghost finale tech down the road, though.
What is the new DL Hitchhiking Ghost finale tech?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hopefully it looks more « real », the old effect was more eerie, the current digital effect doesnt have the same aura around it, looks cheap and lazy.
I agree that the digital 'upgrade' was for the worse. Hazy, and hard to see. And how does a digital gag go so often out of sync with the buggies? MK's HM needs hitchhiking ghosts 3.0.

pigglewiggle

I'm a bit lost, sorry. Does this mean the candelabra is back at the MK Haunted Mansion?

ToTBellHop

I agree that the digital 'upgrade' was for the worse. Hazy, and hard to see. And how does a digital gag go so often out of sync with the buggies? MK's HM needs hitchhiking ghosts 3.0.
I’d honestly prefer they return to the old version in the meantime. It’s a case where I think the simpler effect was fine, even if you could easily see how it worked behind the scenes.

trainplane3

I’d honestly prefer they return to the old version in the meantime. It’s a case where I think the simpler effect was fine, even if you could easily see how it worked behind the scenes.
Hard agree. The simple effect worked and fit it to the rest of the mansion. The current WDW version was fun the first time around but got old on my second ride once I realized we were going to be stuck with bad CGI ghosts.

splah

I can imagine what a floating constance is, but what is the window effect?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
A floating constance sounds very interesting... I suppose she will be doing the same spiel.... the window though..... hmmmm

In addition to new visuals, I'm thinking the window's true purpose will be to hide the mechanism by which Constance floats. Ideally and although it hasn't been confirmed, I'm hoping this new version is a spiel-less Constance but I have my doubts. Best guess, the float mechanism is a four-bar parallelogram lift built into the frames of the window.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a spiel-less Constance....or at least doing something different....and the window sounds great...Hopefully it will be a better tonal match to the attic than Constance was when she arrived....
I kind of miss the days when the bride was often interpreted as a tragic character. (The backstory the cast members created for the old bride--which ended up in the Ghost Gallery book/webpage that is now part of the Haunted Mansion wiki) was inspired by an old legend of a bride playing hide-and-seek on her wedding day and suffocating in a trunk that got locked. It was the basis of a poem called "Ginevra" by Samuel Rogers and a ballad called "The Mistletoe Bough" by Thomas Haynes Bayly.) So I'd like to see them go back to that idea. Maybe, as a connection to one of Marc Davis' unused changing portrait concepts, the bride could age and decay into a skeleton as the doombuggies passed?

Bocabear

I love the bride as more of a tragic figure than a predatory evil bride...My first trip to Disneyland Paris back in the 90s cemented that... I love the sad romantic heroine that in the end rescues the riders from the ghost realm.
There was also a lot of fan fiction about the bride over the years, one was the bride locking her suitors in trunks in the attic...hence the pop-up ghosts like at Disneyland that used to say "I do" when hey popped up....
The Constance storyline to me is too literal... She is bad, the entire attic tells only her story...that she was a predatory murderous woman that killed her husbands after marrying them...And aside from the Stretching portraits and the hanging Host, there isn't really any other mention of physical violent death in the attraction...I prefer vague suggestions...Spooky not violent...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom