Hat Pirate, Hatless???

Oddysey

Original Poster
I searched to see if this is in another thread, but could not find it. I have notice while riding PoC that the Pirate trying to balance himself on the boat is missing all the hats that used to be stacked on his head. It has been this way for a long time now.

Does anyone know why the hats were removed, and is this a permanent change???

PurpleDragon

They were there during my visit last year. Could be the mechanism that made the hats sway back and fourth needed some work. I would assume the change is only temporary.

Jerm

They were all taken to the Mad Hatter to get the names stitched on them!

Things come and go out of attraction faster then you can blink, it is only for a short time...don't worry kids it will grow back!

Rob562

Things come and go out of attraction faster then you can blink, it is only for a short time...don't worry kids it will grow back!

True, but they've been missing for a year now. For such a relatively simple mechanism, I wouldn't think they'd be out THIS long... I don't even think it's mechanized, just a bunch of coupled linkages that tilt as the pirate's head moves side to side. Maybe there was a problem with the pirate AA and his head and neck couldn't support the hat structure without a lot of work...

-Rob

Oddysey

Original Poster

Thank you for your insightful answer...

I do not ask a question when every prop from every attraction is removed, but when a relatively simple yet important prop has been removed for a year, my curiosity is stricken.

SirGoofy

True, but they've been missing for a year now. For such a relatively simple mechanism, I wouldn't think they'd be out THIS long... I don't even think it's mechanized, just a bunch of coupled linkages that tilt as the pirate's head moves side to side. Maybe there was a problem with the pirate AA and his head and neck couldn't support the hat structure without a lot of work...

-Rob

I wouldn't expect them back.

blm07

It was probably deemed to distracting... you know, a special little detail that could take attention away from Johnny Depp.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Rumblings. They've been gone since last May, or somewhere around that time, and questioning managers/maintenance, no one seems to know why.
Wonder if they got removed and misplaced. "We will put them back as soon as we can find them:lookaroun"

RiversideBunny

OK.
Here's a plausible story-

Jedd the maintenance man is working one night in the Pirates of the Carribean attraction. He's replacing light bulbs.
He accidentlally bumps into the hat pirate.
The hat pirate jiggles around for about 30 seconds and the hats fall into the water.
Jedd discretely tiptoes out of the POC attraction and goes on his break.

No one knows about it because Jedd men tell no tales.
:king:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
OK.
Here's a plausible story-

Jedd the maintenance man is working one night in the Pirates of the Carribean attraction. He's replacing light bulbs.
He accidentlally bumps into the hat pirate.
The hat pirate jiggles around for about 30 seconds and the hats fall into the water.
Jedd discretely tiptoes out of the POC attraction and goes on his break.

No one knows about it because Jedd men tell no tales.
:king:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Maybe Jedds going to a wedding with Mrs Jedd, and has solved her head dress problem on the cheap?

Or perhaps its on E-bay, got to pay for Skimmed Milk somehow

durangojim

I noticed this back in May of this year and Sept of last (I think). The AA looks pretty silly now without the hats. Hopefully they'll be back one day (kind of like the natives with silly masks in IASW).

MissM

I miss them too. It's always weird seeing him without the tall head full of hats. I wish they'd bring it back. There doesn't seem any real reason not to have them.

EPCOT Explorer

I wouldn't expect them back.

Rumblings. They've been gone since last May, or somewhere around that time, and questioning managers/maintenance, no one seems to know why.
:rolleyes::shrug:

All this for one silly effect? :lol: Just put some new hats on him!:lol:

It was probably deemed to distracting... you know, a special little detail that could take attention away from Johnny Depp.
:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom