Has Rivers of Light been permantly scrapped?

Kamikaze

And you know this how?

Because of the way RoL is engineered, testing can only happen on the shows location. There has been no testing at that location, therefore, no testing has been done. Basically, the floats are very specific in their location sensing equipment, a lot of which is directly in the 'arena'. They can't do off-site testing because that equipment can't be moved off-site.

Once (if) they start testing it again, we will know.

Kamikaze

How do you know no testing has been done at that location? Are you an AK employee? Is it possible testing is done at night after the park closes?

I am not a Cast Member. Disney doesn't have employees.
It is possible for them to do testing after hours, yes. Thats how they originally tested the show, and how they would test it again. They would not do so during operating hours. However, they are not doing it.

You can see all the testing that happened originally for RoL, the ToL, nighttime safari, etc by looking back through the archives of this very site.

The lack of testing is probably due to the operating hours of the park. Currently the park is closing at 11pm. Which means the earliest they would start testing is 1am. Once operating hours drop to say 9pm, they will probably start testing again because they could start at 11 at that point.

epcotisbest

It is possible for them to do testing after hours, yes. Thats how they originally tested the show, and how they would test it again. They would not do so during operating hours. However, they are not doing it.

You can see all the testing that happened originally for RoL, the ToL, nighttime safari, etc by looking back through the archives of this very site.

The lack of testing is probably due to the operating hours of the park. Currently the park is closing at 11pm. Which means the earliest they would start testing is 1am. Once operating hours drop to say 9pm, they will probably start testing again because they could start at 11 at that point.
Feel free to add to the thread if you have anything to share.
Disney has thousands of employees.
Second sentence if you are interested.
http://disneycareers.com/en/working-here/total-rewards/

DisneyFans4Life

I don't think a show this far into production and testing would be scrapped. I'd much rather they take the time to work out all the kinks and get the show right versus opening too early and seeing a repeat of Frozen.

Brad Bishop

Not to belittle the subject at hand, but I'm just super thrilled to be enjoying AK at night again. I think the last time we were there and they were open at dark was either 2009(December) or 2011(September). Love that place after dark!

It's a great night-time park. I used to look at the schedule and at the day's sunset time to see if I was going to be able to get an hour or so in the park at night.

mergatroid

So you're assuming that based on what went before? The difference of course could be that after the delayed opening Disney has decided to test after 1am as they're desperate to get this show working and are willing to change the way they tested originally due to these unforeseen circumstances. Like yourself I have no proof of this being the case but I'm just putting it out there as a possibility rather than trying to pass it off as a fact without actually knowing.

jlsHouston

Well AK was one of the highlights of the June trip. The park opened late is wonderful, we loved the Jungle Book show, and Tusker House was my new discovery for food.
I hope RoL gets the kinks worked out.

peter11435

How do you know they are not doing after hours testing if you are not a cast member?

mergatroid

How do you know they are not doing after hours testing if you are not a cast member?

He seems to be saying that when they tested at night originally it was at 11pm, 2 hours after the park closed at 9pm. Now the park is open later till 11pm, he's saying testing couldn't start till 1am.

Unless I'm not understanding his statement he seems to be implying that Disney can only test at 11pm for some bizarre reason but can't do so now as that's when it's shutting? Quite why Disney couldn't just say to the people who tested originally at 11pm "Guys, sorry but you're going to have to test at 1am now" is completely beyond me? I'm pretty sure the level these people work at is a salaried position and as such they've not got it in their contract that they don't have to work beyond 1am, in fact I'd imagine these guys would be happy to work anytime just to get this project up and running?

NormC

I am sure they are still working on it and testing it when they can. Too much has been invested in it for them to stop. As far as I know it has not been scrapped. We can all make guesses but I will wait for facts. Chill out.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This continual talk of it being scrapped is kinda crazy.

Before the days of us micro analyzing everything on the internet, theme park projects were routinely delayed by months and even years. RoL missing its Spring 2016 opening is not even scratching the surface of a major delay compared to other projects.

blueboxdoctor

I hope they get it up and running. But a lot of things have rough launches (kind of like how buying new electronics at launch is risky or how most video games get a stream of patches the week they are released), so I'm hoping this is something they can work out, at least before I go in December.

Kamikaze

So you're assuming that based on what went before? The difference of course could be that after the delayed opening Disney has decided to test after 1am as they're desperate to get this show working and are willing to change the way they tested originally due to these unforeseen circumstances. Like yourself I have no proof of this being the case but I'm just putting it out there as a possibility rather than trying to pass it off as a fact without actually knowing.

I actually do know that it isn't happening.

You don't have to be a CM to know things. Especially little specific things such as this.

He seems to be saying that when they tested at night originally it was at 11pm, 2 hours after the park closed at 9pm. Now the park is open later till 11pm, he's saying testing couldn't start till 1am.

Unless I'm not understanding his statement he seems to be implying that Disney can only test at 11pm for some bizarre reason but can't do so now as that's when it's shutting? Quite why Disney couldn't just say to the people who tested originally at 11pm "Guys, sorry but you're going to have to test at 1am now" is completely beyond me? I'm pretty sure the level these people work at is a salaried position and as such they've not got it in their contract that they don't have to work beyond 1am, in fact I'd imagine these guys would be happy to work anytime just to get this project up and running?

The same reason as everything else. Money. The later closing means they'd be paying a lot more in terms of OT.

PhotoDave219

With Jungle book being scheduled all the way through to September 5th does anyone else think Rivers of Light is just never going to happen? I mean that is almost five months after it was supposed to start that is a really long time to work out a few bugs. I'm starting to think Jungle book is all we are getting.

Its going to happen, yes. Just going to be delayed.

Bear in mind every time the park is open until 11, thats less time they have to test the show or work on problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom