Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

ChipNDale79

Not surprised. A lot of people like you pontificate on these threads and ignore the facts. Think you know more than everyone else. Nobody likes to pay more money if they could pay less money. But the fact is attendance is stronger than it has ever been despite the high costs and that’s a fact.

You wanna calm down for a second and ease off the sass? I get it you don't like what i have to say, and its ok to disagree.

I stated my opinions on something, which i have a right to do, and i know for a FACT, that i DONT know about product pricing better that disney does. But i also know for a FACT what has kept my family from logging onto the website and booking a trip for next year.

It's ok to have a different opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These are correct stats. Look it up. I got them on this Thing called the internet. These stats are readily available and published every earnings report. This is regular park admission. No special ticketed events.
So individual attendance figures are reported...not just revenues/earnings?

And for wdw, DL, Paris alone? They aren’t grouped together.

Well that is insightful...for sure.

What’s also insightful is that reports attendance has become fairly flat for the last 5+ years or so...gravitating somewhere around 52-55 million total.

And 2002 was a depression year coming off the a high in 2000, cherry picker...
One reason was the dot.com crash...the other is PLAINLY obvious

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So you’re point is that during the recovery from the second biggest economic crash in history...attendance is up an aggregate 10% from 2008-present.

Well don’t I feel ashamed?

ChipNDale79

Domestic parks continued to get a boost from increased visitor spending on admission tickets, food and beverages, and merchandise. Higher attendance and occupied room nights at Disney World also provided a tailwind. On the earnings call, CFO Christine McCarthy said that attendance at domestic parks was up 1% year over year and that average guest spending rose 4%.

Pretty sure i read last month that they reported a decline in attendance of about 3%, but because of increased ticket costs and per guest spending was up 10%,

Disney reported that domestic park attendance declined 3% in the quarter but that per-capita guest spending was up 10%, thanks in part to higher ticket prices. Per room hotel spending was up 3% on a 2% increase on occupancy, which stood at 88%.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I used 2002 because it was referenced in an earlier post from someone’s last trip so it wasn’t cherry picked.
Whatever your intent...it skews the number. I did revenue control and forecasting from 2001-2002 in a major theme park operation...so don’t bother trying to splain it to a dummy like me 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Domestic parks continued to get a boost from increased visitor spending on admission tickets, food and beverages, and merchandise. Higher attendance and occupied room nights at Disney World also provided a tailwind. On the earnings call, CFO Christine McCarthy said that attendance at domestic parks was up 1% year over year and that average guest spending rose 4%.

Notice there are no actual numbers there...Why would there be? It makes no sense for them to give raw attendance numbers when they are trying to highlight REVENUE numbers over foot traffic.

We’ve been discussing that concept for a number of years on the boards. The questions being: is it sustainable? And what will this do down the road if numbers fall?

Where you been, bro?
Pretty sure i read last month that they reported a decline in attendance of about 3%, but because of increased ticket costs, rooms, and food, per guest spending was up 10%,

Bull...what kinda hack believes what Disney actually says about LOSING Attendance to make a point?

Amateur hour

Bartledvd

Neither do we...we're a family of 4 that stays in a value. I"m getting our numbers, with spending money to down around $225 per person per day for a week, and i'm pretty good at finding deals for disney. If you're able to lower it, id love some pointers.
Economies of scale bring the price down per person per day for us and that the UK tends to get lower prices for accommodation and way lower prices for tickets, But with the exchange rate tanking for us and price increases the same holiday in 2013(can not remember or have the receipts from before)cost us £7000 now thats about £15000 ($18600)

Even with these prices it is still good value on a per person per day cost just hurts to pay for eight of us for 14 days. We could stay at a value or offsite and save big but i see no point being less comfortable than i am at home so i want plenty of space plus an actual door on the bathrooms/bedrooms and sadly neither me or my wife want to drive on holiday we do enough at home so if on a rare occasion i want a drink i can.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Economies of scale bring the price down per person per day for us and that the UK tends to get lower prices for accommodation and way lower prices for tickets, But with the exchange rate tanking for us and price increases the same holiday in 2013(can not remember or have the receipts from before)cost us £7000 now thats about £15000 ($18600)

Even with these prices it is still good value on a per person per day cost just hurts to pay for eight of us for 14 days. We could stay at a value or offsite and save big but i see no point being less comfortable than i am at home so i want plenty of space plus an actual door on the bathrooms/bedrooms and sadly neither me or my wife want to drive on holiday we do enough at home so if on a rare occasion i want a drink i can.

Excellent info Perspective.

Though we yanks are flabbergasted - generally speaking - when anyone talks about “budgeting” for a 18,000 dollar/pound vacation...

Those that do that have no money concerns here and would probably not speak of it. Americans are not permitted to have fun on that level unless you live in excess. We build vacation spots and are discouraged from enjoying them.

We have it wrong 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What isn’t skewed is that 2018 sent a record at WDW for attendance

It’s gone up consistently on the curve since 1971 with some minor hiccups...was about 27,000,000 when mgm opened...44,000,000 in 2000...55,000,000 in 2018...and on and on
No one is arguing that..........

But that doesn’t stop people from picking fights over it, apparently

Bartledvd

Excellent info Perspective.

Though we yanks are flabbergasted - generally speaking - when anyone talks about “budgeting” for a 18,000 dollar/pound vacation...

Those that do that have no money concerns here and would probably not speak of it. Americans are not permitted to have fun on that level unless you live in excess. We build vacation spots and are discouraged from enjoying them.

We have it wrong 🤔

Same in the uk no one likes to talk about money and anyone who knows us and what it costs thinks we are crazy but what is life if you don’t live.

Just make sure you can stay within your means.

Also 2020 and maybe 2021 we decided to try visit a few other places while disney rebuilds epcot and my wife owes me a nice cruise around the Caribbean i have been asking for ten years nearly 😂

ryguy

I was against DVC since the inception. However I broke down and bought some points last year on the resale market. The hotel rates keep going up and even with a discount they are still high. I can pay the yearly fees with my Disney Visa reward points so that made the decision easier. I know I am going to go a couple weekends a year so it made sense. Plus my kids are teenagers now and the larger rooms are more appealing. But we really don't do the parks anymore. We will go in for the Candlelight processional and maybe if friends or family come down from out of town we will go in with them for a day. We enjoy golfing and sitting around the pool more than anything else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Same in the uk no one likes to talk about money and anyone who knows us and what it costs thinks we are crazy but what is life if you don’t live.

Just make sure you can stay within your means.

Also 2020 and maybe 2021 we decided to try visit a few other places while disney rebuilds epcot and my wife owes me a nice cruise around the Caribbean i have been asking for ten years nearly 😂
I highly recommend the anthem and oasis class RCCL ships. Celebrity is a bit more pricey but can be well worth it.

You know what is very overpriced? Take a guess...

bubbles1812

Yep but the fact it isn't a great deal anymore means shopping in the USA isn't the great deal it once was so I am spending less when in Florida. Although I did buy an iPad in Portland last year as there was no sales tax, so that was a good saving compared to 20% VAT in the UK.
I was talking to some lovely folks from Sussex while taking the monorail over to Epcot this weekend and they were talking about how expensive Florida (in general, not just at Disney) has gotten. This surprised me because obviously, being from the US, the relative general price of things feels about the same. I wasn’t thinking about the exchange rates.

I imagine it does feel like much more of a crunch and you are definitely not the only one feeling the pain. (Though it hurts me a lot less as a plan a trip to Scotland next year :hilarious:)

bubbles1812

The argument the parks have become too crowded is consistently used as a talking point when defending obnoxious price increases. The fact is, there isn’t an appreciably larger number of guests coming year over year. What is happening is TDO is understaffing the parks in order to optimize economic efficiency on their end. Thereby making the parks feel more crowded then ever. A fun offshoot of TDOs staffing bs is that they now monetize solutions to the crowded feeling. Per guest spending goes up. Wall Street is held at bay for another quarter and the guests suffer.

This is absolutely true. I’m going to use myself as an example. I’ll be going in December for a week and am deliberately doing the Plaza Garden Dessert Party, not because I think the desserts are a great value, but to get around the crowds for HEA, at least for one night.

I recognize that probably makes me part of the problem, but it’s my mom’s birthday, HEA is her favorite show, and last we were there, she waited two hours prior to the fireworks to make sure she had a decent spot. I’d like her to not have to stress about it this time.

And it’s certainly not the only time I’ve booked things to help ensure spots. I’m not paying for the dining package for Candlelight Processional just because I love the Rose & Crown.

It’s tough because there is a part of me that does want to stop paying the Disney ‘premiums.’ Stick it to the man. Blah blah blah. I really do get the frustration many feel. But going back to the original poll... I haven’t reached my personal threshold yet.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom